Darth Will's Budget Build

Darth Will

Hi Everyone!

My wife Nikki wants to build a Predator costume and her enthusiasm is infectious. Especially after joining this forum and seeing all the great work and costumes out there. So we are both going to make costumes but in different ways. I'll be like most 1st time builders and going the budget route. Rubies Deluxe mask and Mr I suit. Hopefully following what others have done I'll have something cool to walk around conventions in.

I'll be blogging my progress here in this thread.

And with that, I got my first piece today.
Rubies Deluxe Predator mask.
Whoo hoo the journey begins.
P3143512b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to costuming, I've been told that I can't pull off certain characters because of my height. I'm 5'4. But I've never let that stop me, I find ways around it or just don't worry about what others think. I do it because I want to. :)
One of the solutions has been elevator shoes. For this project I think they will work out great. My wife, HAL1138, and I will build the feet around the shoes.
This particular shoe increase height by 5.2". And I think I'll add another layer to the bottom of the shoe to be the the Predators sandal sole.
It's kind of like walking on high heels, I guess, and it takes a little getting use to but it's worth it.
P3193524b.jpg

P3193523b.jpg

tallmenshoes_diagram.jpg

No need to worry about height, I'm 5'6 and have never been told I was 'too short'.  I have about 4" of lift, and by the time I have the mask and bio on, I come in at around 6'1".  The thing about doing lifts is (IMO) it's possible to go too far.  I've seen some that clearly look lifted, which (again, just my opinion) ruins the proportions and makes it look goofy.  

Brian 

Found these monster hands. With a repaint I think they could work. There is one thing to note, these have an open palm but that might be a good thing. Will have to play with it and see.
P3233579a.jpg

P3233585a.jpg

I actually started doing something. :p

Removed the elastic strap from the bio. Will glue in magnets to hold it on.
P3193519a.jpg

Then cut out the eyes and removed the 4 dreads.
P3193528a.jpg

P3243596a.jpg

Those mr. I's almost always start off looking goofy.  Luckily, they turn out pretty badass once the latex and paint go on.  Off to a nice start on the build.  (y)

Looks like you're off to a good start, I'll be following in your footsteps soon!  Someone should do a Mr. I inspired paint job over the latex...Mr. InPredible?  I'm sure that joke's been done to death already...

I bought 4 different sizes of backer rod to play with. Each roll is 100 feet long.
That's 400 feet and I need 40 dreads.
So, 10 foot long dreads. Does that sound right?
P3303661a.jpg

No...you bought these for me.  They are mine.  I claim them.... Mine.

You may "borrow" them for your so called reference, but then you give them right back.......Mine.

2 hours in the kitchen over a hot stove and it was fun.
Guess what I made.
P3303672a.jpg

The kids had a blast too.
P3303664a.jpg

One can of plasti-dip covered 19 dreads. This is 25 drying. Will do the rest tomorrow.
For the experts out there, is one coat enough or do I have to go over them again?
I've read to use perma-wet after using the plasti-dip. Is it necessary?

I'm hoping one coat is good to go.
P4033724a.jpg

Picked up some polymorph.
It's little plastic balls that you put into boiling water and then you can mold it into any shape you want.
Playing around with it and trying to make dread beads here.

P4083770a.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back