Unlimited Run Darth Ugly Vader helmet - ANH / ESB / ROTJ

bookface

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Introduction

darth-ugly-family_zps531e0942.jpg

ANH (this helmet DOES come with a C scar on the cheek, but for some reason the only pics I had did not show it. I'll update with new pics when I get a chance)

IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1664.jpg IMG_1663.jpg IMG_1666.jpg

ESB

IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2642.jpg IMG_2643.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

ROTJ

IMG_2647.jpg IMG_2648.jpg IMG_2649.jpg IMG_2650.jpg

If you are unfamiliar with the cause behind this project, take a look at the original interest thread here http://www.therpf.com/f13/darth-ugly-esb-rotj-darth-vader-helmet-144241/

Essentially, a rip-off falsely advertised crappy helmet from an eBay has been completely resculpted and turned into something great. And to celebrate that fact, a portion of the sale price of each helmet goes to help a fellow Star Wars fan with disabilities who often struggles to make ends meet. So not only are you getting a nice helmet, you get a nice warm glow from helping someone out. (Disclaimer: Warming glow is not a physical product that arrives with the helmet. Think of it as your inner light saber!)

WHO MAY PARTICIPATE

Mac and I require a post count of at least 40 and that you've been on the boards for some time - so that we have some comfort that you are aware that illicit recasting is wrong, and acquiring props for known recasters to pirate and profit off of is wrong.

There may be people who create a user ID just to participate in an auction, and their purpose is to pirate what they purchase - or it may be a friend acquiring it for someone else who illicitly pirates fanmade props for his own gain. A recaster making money off of this helmet means we are less and less able to achieve our humanitarian goal of help a certain fellow SW fan with disabilities.

If you fall short of this criteria, we're not unreasonable. Tell us about yourself and that you do not support recasting and that you will pledge to protect this helmet from falling into the wrong hands. We want to hear where you're coming from.

Additionally, we can take the following into consideration:

1. A longtime trustworthy member of the RPF will vouch for you
2. If you frequent another discussion board that does NOT support recasting, we can take that into account as well
3. A 501st Garrison Commander vouching for you and pledging that his detachment does not support recasting

These are FULL helmet orders only (painted or kit). We do not part out the domes and masks. Darth Ugly was sculpted and optimized to be an artistic whole to achieve specific proportions and elegance. But given the various sizes and shapes of so many masks in the fandom, an Ugly dome paired with the wrong mask can look less than stellar, and an Ugly mask under a different make of dome might look terrible. Please don't ask, because I hate saying no to people. I will though. I'll just feel bad about it.

QUESTIONS & CONTACT INFO

CSMacLaren
, a.k.a. "Mac" is the contributing sculptor and can answer questions on the helmets creation, but has nothing to do with the process of making and selling the helmets. He has been kind enough to simply donate his time and effort sculpting the helmets to the project.

I'm bookface, the prop maker of the project. I mould Mac's helmet masters, do the fibreglass casting, assembly, painting etc. Any questions regarding ordering a helmet should be sent my way. I don't check this thread all that often, so please use PM!

ORDERING INFO

I will only take a limited number of orders at a time. At all costs I want to avoid situations where someone has paid for a helmet and ends up waiting months or even years for it. As such I will only take an order from someone if I feel like I can fill that order and ship the helmet out within 4-6 weeks. If I don't feel like I can do that, I will ask if you're OK with me putting your name on a waiting list until I feel ready to take an order from you. Absolutely no money will change hands until I'm ready to take an order. Please state when you contact me which variant you are interested in.

WHAT'S INCLUDED AND HOW MUCH?

A finished helmet will be just that, finished, ready to display. Each one will be numbered on the inside, and will include straps for those who want to wear it as part of a costume. Padding of any kind is not included. That was considered, but eventually decided against because of individual preferences for what people want to put in there to make it comfortable. If you DO want to troop with it, the weight is worth mentioning, as it weighs in at 1.4kg, or 3lbs. Obviously any additions in the form of padding, fans, voice changers will add to this, but it's a pretty light weight helmet.

Price for a finished helmet: $550 plus shipping. Shipping to the USA is $105 (though I will need post/zip codes to confirm this as all the shippers have extra charges if they class your location as remote). Europe is $40 (Eastern Europe may be extra). UK is $19.

Price for an unfinished helmet: $395 plus shipping (shipping costs as above). Included with an unfinished helmet kit is the helmet (obviously), a dome mounting system pre-installed to remove the hassle of getting the dome on right, lenses (pre-shaped and bubbled and in a light brown tint similar to the originals), wire mesh grills for the mouth and chin vent, and a pair of aluminium tusks.

Shipping is via UPS, as they are the cheapest I've found. If you would prefer a different shipper (I know some people hate UPS with a passion) then that can be arranged but there will be an additional cost for it.

PAINT & FINISHING

Mac writes "The overall look we are trying to achieve is more on the prop accuracy side of the spectrum. Darth Ugly will appeal to costumers, but bear in mind that many Vader helmets over the years were hyper sanded and uber finished, and although that automotive finish may look great, we chose to emulate the lived-in look that Lucas specified for the production. How you approach that grittiness is not so much sloppy workmanship but planned, intentional emulation. For ANH, handbrushing the texture as seen in the Tantive IV scene is truly important, whereas in ESB, although glossy by comparison, the screen used ESB had some "orange peeling" texture. This may be a turnoff or shock to people that the on-screen props are not as perfect as they'd imagine."

OTHER OPTIONS

Darth Ugly should be considered as an entry level helmet. In years gone by there have been very few options for people who didn't have $800 to drop on a helmet, and so if you are just getting into collecting or costuming and want a decent Vader helmet, Darth Ugly will hopefully fill that niche. It's fine for trooping or display. However if you wanted something a little more screen accurate, then please consider Quasimodo, my new, higher end Vader helmet. It is a totally different sculpt to Darth Ugly with added details that weren't practical to include at the lower price point here.

Last edited:
I make two different ANH helmets. One is this version, $450. The other is more screen accurate and called Quasimodo, and is more expensive. The more expensive helmet has a different sale thread.

I've been silently following all the Vader related threads you and CSMacLaren have posted recently with great interest.
I usually feel one very good Vader helmet is enough, but seeing these side by side has really given me something to contemplate...
You may be hearing from me in the not too distant future.

This thread is strong with the dark side of the force.

I've watched mac's work for a while, and he really cares about the finished products. I made my first Vader dome based in no small part off of his WIP threads. It turned out pretty good for a first attempt, but I'm seriously considering picking up an ESB Ugly for trooping, as mine came in pretty heavy. My only question is, any plans for a Quasimodo ESB, or are you calling it a day with the ANH lid?

Bookface is getting both busy and popular, but I believe he is working to make himself available for this project within the short term. We've both been informally discussing what we like to see for the next two OT helmets. We agree that it has to be a significant difference in realism between Ugly and Quasimodo. Absolute newcomers to the hobby may not pick up on all these differences, but so far with ANH those with greater exposure are also exhibiting greater degrees of salivation!

There are some challenges ahead, but I'm really looking forward to this project. :)

Ugly is gorgeous, but I'm not sure I can justify the existence of 2 helmets to my wife (counting my own), and between Ugly and Quasi, I want the next one to be more accurate, so leaning Quasi side. Are all the runs still benefitting the lady mentioned previously?

Yes. Everything that I make that is Darth Vader related, I am essentially giving away to bookface. They become his product, and the stipulation is to help this lady perpetually so long as there are sales.

Sorry to monopolize the thread, is there a link anywhere to this lady's story?

There used to be on a different site years ago, which is how I came to know her and met her once a long ways back.

I can't find that post any longer as new people now run that site.

Is it important to have more info? I'd have to check with her to make sure anything I say is in complete observance of her privacy.

Not really, I was just curious what the story was. If it's going to a good cause, I can't imagine why I'd have an issue with it. Look forward to seeing ESB Quasimodo, but the Ugly family looks incredible too.

These are awesome and a perfect addition to my Vader collection! What's the turn around I'm in for ANH and would love to have ESB and ROTJ

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back