Darkening Aluminum?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Darth Elevator

+1 on diluting aluminum black. I've done tests in the past with just a few drops of black in a container of water and it let me darken the metal by very small amounts quite slowly. The results can look really good.

This is going to be what I try first. I'm just waiting on a larger bottle to arrive. I'll report back how it goes.

Darth Elevator

So I finished the darkening the hilt and I'm happy with the result. Not 100% perfect, but it gives the effect I'm hoping for. In person, it looks a lot more like weathered steel than weathered aluminum now. The "brightness" of the metal is gone.

The diluted Aluminum Black method worked really well. I put them in a big bin full of water with just a little bit of Aluminum Black. I was able to watch the hilt slowly change darker and darker until I felt it was just right. It felt like I was BBQing a steak or something, watching it slowly cook. Afterwards, I sanded for awhile with a very light touch and very fine steel wool. I was looking to clean up the aluminum while keeping the effect uniform.

Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures while I was in the process, but I have a before and after pic.

This was my Ben Solo hilt from Phoenix Props. Here are the two main pieces of the hilt after I cleaned them up for the Aluminum Dark bath.

IMG_E3175.JPG

IMG_E3176.JPG

And here is the finished hilt in my cabinet.

IMG_E3180.JPG

IMG_E3181.JPG

Thanks to everyone who provided advice on this. The hilt was driving me a bit crazy so I'm glad it's complete.

Darth Elevator

Looks great! You'd never know it's aluminum.

Thanks! Using a very small amount of Aluminum Black worked really well. Previously, when weathering the hilt, I was able to get some nice definition but it still had the lighter gray color you see in the first pics. The slower changes helped alter the tint a bit even in the more cleaned up areas, which is what I wanted.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.