Dark Phoenix (Post-release)

What did you think of Dark Phoenix?

• It was great. Loved it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The news of x-men going back to Marvel is new to me. I thought they got to keep it as long as they kept churning out films.

Whatever Marvel Does with X-Men films in the future will probably be better received. By only wish is that there had been time to truly mix them into the MCU from the start. It'd be really revisionist for them to simply have been "Off screen" for the last 10 years, then show up like they've been there the whole time, and it'd require pretty major changes to character plot points and such to have the "Mutant Issue" start appearing so far into the MCU.

I trust Marvel to start doing it better; I just honestly don't know what good routs they have.

Disney bought Fox. It's not so much the rights returning as Fox doesn't have a choice. Given how terrible this movie looks that's for the best.

They've already wiped the slate too many times that I have no idea what era this even takes place in much less what is canon and what isn't.

Anything with Macavoy is now the "standing timeline" for x-men. Everything before he showed up is at the very least "altered". And unless they have Jean kill any of the X-men that we see in the "revised" future at the end of Days of Future Past, then they'll all still hook together without any plot holes.

Gotcha. I honestly don't even remember much of what happened in the last two X-Men movies and didn't really care for either one. I'll have to rewatch X1 and X2 and see if they hold up. I loved First Class. After that I lost interest.

I am currently rereading the classic Dark Phoenix saga. Why can't they just make that? It was perfect.

So, I'll ask you an honest question, because I have not read the x-men comics about that; how much sense would the "classic dark phoenix saga" make, if you didn't already know the backgrounds of the characters and setting from previous years and years of reading x-men comics?

So, I'll ask you an honest question, because I have not read the x-men comics about that; how much sense would the "classic dark phoenix saga" make, if you didn't already know the backgrounds of the characters and setting from previous years and years of reading x-men comics?

It's been a long while since I've read the Dark Phoenix Saga but I'd say that it would be impossible to diectly adapt it to the big screen without at least some alterations. At the very least you'd likely run into problems the team line up.

It's a pretty self contained story, but obviously you would have to change it a little. As for what came before, you wouldn't have to know that much-- no more than you would need to know going into this movie. And of course Wolverine plays a big part in it, so yeah, they would have to overcome that obstacle.

It makes no sense.

The Dark Phoenix Saga in the comics is the culmination of years of character development and relationships as well as the background for the grand conflicts. That's why it's a Saga and not a story.

When you strip The Dark Phoenix Saga down to one movie what you get is a remake of The Wolf Man (1941).

Last edited:
So there's 3 votes in the poll but no commentary?
Friday I watched 1/2 of infinity war and fell asleep. Saturday we went to see Dark Phoenix and then I finished infinity war when I got home. Quite a difference in films!
It was worth seeing for the performances and FX but the story is pretty messy and screwed the pooch for any hope of a clean timeline.
I think they should have done First class, followed it with Apocalypse then bookended it with DOFP and just left Dark Phoenix as X3.
Gotta say though, Sophie Turner nailed it.

Sophie Turner nailed it.

She did?

Whew..

I wasnt getting that from any of the trailers!... and being a HUGE x-men fan (especially during the 80's-90's of comic book collecting during these stories)... I could never 'see' her as Jean Grey..

First Class and DOFP are the only ones I thought were decent X-Men films/stories... (and I'm not talking about -just- the odd paring and timeline non-sense they do 'just for films sake')....

* never was a fan of mis-matching teammates and and timelines..

She did?

Whew..

I wasnt getting that from any of the trailers!... and being a HUGE x-men fan (especially during the 80's-90's of comic book collecting during these stories)... I could never 'see' her as Jean Grey..

First Class and DOFP are the only ones I thought were decent X-Men films/stories... (and I'm not talking about -just- the odd paring and timeline non-sense they do 'just for films sake')....

* never was a fan of mis-matching teammates and and timelines..

The trailers with the flat acting, bland costumes and poor script/dialogue made this film look like a high school theatre production albeit with digital effects.
Why did they remake Dark Phoenix?
Why not show the Shi'ar war go huge with the franchise make this an event film rather than a lame, limp bow out for the series.

I'm so glad Marvel have regained creative control so that we can get a decent set of films for this rich group of characters. The biggest shame is we won't get Stewart and McKellan back as they were perfect in their respective roles.
I didn't take to McAvoy as Xavier with his weird surpressed Scottish accent trying to sound English, David Tennant has the same thing going on and I find it distracting, it's very noticeable.
Give the X-Men a 10 year break and come back fresh with the Shi'ar conflict, Mr Sinister, Cable, Nimrod and a better Bishop than the weird channeling his power through a gun guy we had in DOFP.

Why not show the Shi'ar war go huge with the franchise make this an event film rather than a lame, limp bow out for the series.

come back fresh with the Shi'ar conflict, Mr Sinister, Cable, Nimrod and a better Bishop

All good ideas!! (to me at least)

I took advantage of T-Mobile Tuesdays to see it for $4, and I thought it was pretty decent. And considering the last X-Men movie I saw was TLS...

It wasn't exactly what I would have wanted from a Dark Phoenix storyline, but I think it did a decent job of wrapping things up.

I saw it earlier today and it was terrible! In fact, it was probably the worst X-Men movie made yet. l think I'm going to ignore it as none of the other movies make sense with it. The movie ends up being a big F-U to the original trilogy. Definitely NOT a worthy bow out of the franchise as it changes hands from the FOX banner to the Marvel Studios banner.

Days of Future Past was the best of the reboot timeline movies, and not just because the old guard is back. It's coherent, well written, has good dialogue, and most importantly ties all the movies together. I thought Apocalypse itself wasn't bad, could have been a lot better. Still a lot better than Dark Phoenix though.

What a pity this gets such poor press because I really liked this movie. I just caught the late showing and taken as its own, this movie is kinda what I want comic movies to be more about: smaller scale, intimate, and with a good story with empathetic characters. This had that and most of it was okay. Mind you, there's faults and it retreads a lot of what already's been done before (and better and more maturely) but I thought this was pretty good throughout.

The single largest complaint I keep hearing about this is that this doesn't make sense with the rest of the other movies. That's true, but the timeline of these X-men prequels are so fudged up anyway, I think the best and only option to take is to say "screw it" and let's just go out and do something interesting the best we can, and I think Dark Phoenix does that. So what if it doesn't exactly follow Apocalypse or tie into the Singer movies, or even follow the original comic storyline...So what? Logan did it and it was mostly good, despite having nothing to do with Old Man Logan (which is terrible); and why would anyone want to follow X-Men: Apocalypse? It was genuinely trash. Haven't we enough of these outlandish, gay and merry, empty, mediocre, CG spectacles where every set piece is just an explode-y cartoon with photo-real textures? This movie tried to do something more mature without being vulgar or obscene, with a lot working against it, and while it's all stuff we've seen done better before, I think what it manages to do is still good. Dark Phoenix, on its own merits, I think, is good. As far as recent comic movies go, this felt like it was at least trying to be a real movie.

While it isn't doing anything new or inventive, this was competently made for the most part and for what looked to be on a smaller budget. As far as I'm concerned, Dark Phoenix is the X2 of these X-Men prequels, and in more than just the obvious parallels. DoFP was the third proper X-Men entry of the original Singer movies, in my mind, and we can just cut out Apocalypse (everyone wants to). This entry is more or less a direct sequel to First Class than anything else, I thought, and in terms of wrapping this particular series up, it was serviceable. These entries into the X-Men films weren't ever all that great to begin with but they certainly weren't terrible (mostly) and while it goes out kind of small, I felt it fitting in a way. No one blows out a near-burnt out candle by throwing gasoline on it.

Watched it this weekend and I was pretty disappointed.

What irked me was the same trope where X-Men have conflict with Magneto's brotherhood, next thing their working together towards common goal again. All is forgiven.

Alien baddies were another trope of morphing, zombie-like disposables I had no care for. Compare them to the Skrulls from Capt. Marvel who had great performances and made you emphasize with them.

Dark Pheonix should have been epic. It was pretty much "meh". Better than X3 but I also expected a lot more.

Hoping X-Men can be relaunched in the Disney Marvel universe in the future. Take your time, introduce them with care. Deadpool is a great way to break the ice. Next maybe Wolverine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back