Daredevil (Netflix Series)

That scene seems quite seamless because it is. The entire hallway fight was done in a single shot. IIRC it took them about 7 or 8 takes to finally get it right, but the effect is, as you said, fantastic.

The series has so many great action moments but the hallway fight in the end of episode 2 was fantastic and is one of my favourites. The way they shot and edited that scene made it seems quite seamless.

There is a moment where the camera gets close to Daredevil's chest and then the camera turns, so I thought that's where they might have done the cut. But I was wrong. After reading your post I came across the interivew with stunt coordinator Philip J. Silvera where he talked about it.

‘Daredevil’ Stunt Coordinator on Designing a One-Shot Fight Scene for a Blind Hero | Observer

I was just about to ask you about that one-shot scene.

I think this was what started defining the show for me, and the weight that was being played into it. Phil Abraham was directing, and it was always scripted that this scene was going to be a one-shot. For me in my head, with the time we had, I said let’s do wipes and we’ll be able save things. But Phil challenged us to do a pure one-shot, which really just brought a grounded real feeling to the whole thing. We were able to slow down the fight, and just have this raw, animalistic feeling happening.

So it was genuinely one shot? No cuts?

No cuts. We did do a few Texas Switches between our actor and our stunt double, but it was purely a one shot fight. There were no cuts in that fight. Every performer, the actors and the stunt doubles, were in there performing that fight full on. I’d say there was a minimum of 105 beats, and they killed it

fandumb__48__hell_s_bathroom_by_neodusk-d8pnyq6.jpg

There is a moment where the camera gets close to Daredevil's chest and then the camera turns, so I thought that's where they might have done the cut. But I was wrong. After reading your post I came across the interivew with stunt coordinator Philip J. Silvera where he talked about it.

‘Daredevil’ Stunt Coordinator on Designing a One-Shot Fight Scene for a Blind Hero | Observer

I was just about to ask you about that one-shot scene.

I think this was what started defining the show for me, and the weight that was being played into it. Phil Abraham was directing, and it was always scripted that this scene was going to be a one-shot. For me in my head, with the time we had, I said let’s do wipes and we’ll be able save things. But Phil challenged us to do a pure one-shot, which really just brought a grounded real feeling to the whole thing. We were able to slow down the fight, and just have this raw, animalistic feeling happening.

So it was genuinely one shot? No cuts?

No cuts. We did do a few Texas Switches between our actor and our stunt double, but it was purely a one shot fight. There were no cuts in that fight. Every performer, the actors and the stunt doubles, were in there performing that fight full on. I’d say there was a minimum of 105 beats, and they killed it

I honestly don't think the stunt coordinator knows what goes on in post-production. There really looked like there was a cross dissolve between two takes at that close-up on the shirt, and I would not be surprised at all to learn that there were frames removed at times when the camera is stationary in the hallway and the characters are fighting in a room. They should be proud of getting the three front-to-back takes but I don't believe that we're seeing one unmodified in the show.

They should get Benedict Cumberbatch to do a walk through cameo on the streets or standing around in a hospital. Bleecker Street is only 2-3 miles from Hell's Kitchen.

I was pretty sure there was one masked cut when the camera closes on his body.
The cowboy switches were obvious but didn't take away from my enjoyment of the wonderful sequence.

I was pretty sure there was one masked cut when the camera closes on his body.
The cowboy switches were obvious but didn't take away from my enjoyment of the wonderful sequence.

He specifically says "no cuts". You are certainly free to believe what you wish to believe, of course. I wonder if people were equally skeptical of the six minute long take from True Detective?

He's also a stunt coordinator and often even a director, producer, or show runner will express surprise at learning of something they didn't know had been done in post-production because it was done so effectively. I do that stuff for a living and would bet good money that the shot is altered in a handful of ways. That shirt transition sticks out every time.

Like I said before, the stunt coordinator should be proud of running a few complete takes of that scene on set, but his assumption that one exists unaltered in the final cut is almost certainly wrong.

Watched the first episode last night.

It is EXACTLY what I've been hoping to see for decades.

Also, loved that Turk was the guy who got his ass kicked in the beginning. Oh, Turk....the perpetual buttmonkey of the Daredevil comics...

Four other things I loved:

1. The scene where he figures out Karen is lying. Terrific way to give us Matt's perspective without doing the weird "radar" thing from the movie (which, while visually accurate with the comics, really didn't translate to the screen effectively).

2. The fact that the Kingpin's influence is felt, but he's never, ever seen. Especially in how things are "cleaned up" at the end of the first episode.

3. The fact that Daredevil can end up getting his ass kicked and we can see him visibly winded, albeit still a badass. I also love his fighting style so far.

4. The structure of the show, from what I can gather after 1 episode and reading some other reviews. It seems like this is really being treated as a visual novel, rather than episodic television. The first episode is really more the first chapter in Book 1 of the Daredevil series, and I really, really appreciate that. Let things develop. They aren't constrained by the time and structural requirements of television -- network or cable.

He's also a stunt coordinator and often even a director, producer, or show runner will express surprise at learning of something they didn't know had been done in post-production because it was done so effectively. I do that stuff for a living and would bet good money that the shot is altered in a handful of ways. That shirt transition sticks out every time.

Like I said before, the stunt coordinator should be proud of running a few complete takes of that scene on set, but his assumption that one exists unaltered in the final cut is almost certainly wrong.

Ah, I see what you are saying now-- that it may have been filmed in "one take" on set, but it's certainly not unaltered in the finished show. I got you. :)

Ah, I see what you are saying now-- that it may have been filmed in "one take" on set, but it's certainly not unaltered in the finished show. I got you. :)
Yes, exactly! Though I'd go farther and say that they likely sandwiched two of the takes (maybe even two halves of two of the complete takes) at that closeup on the shirt.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly! Though I'd go farther and say that they likely sandwiched two of the takes (maybe even two halves of two of the complete takes) at that closeup on the shirt.

I would go a step further and say they spliced 4 takes together. Too many things moving in front of the camera for me to believe that it was all in one go.

Just started watching it last night. Knocked out 3 episodes. Definitely awesome.

I like it better than Gotham (which I pretty much stopped watching for now).

If I read right, this show takes place in the MCU, so I'm really hoping there will be some good cross-overs in the next season.
I'd love to see The Punisher in a few episodes.
Also, since if it's part of the MCU it would be cool to have a DD cameo in upcoming MCU movies.

Overall, I'm definitely going to stick with it. The fights are great. Foggy has already grown on me and I actually look forward to seeing his character evolve and grow.

They nailed it with their casting of Kingpin.

I haven't gotten to the episode where he upgrades his costume but I've seen images and I like it, but it does look a little restrictive considering how fast and fluid his fight moves are. I'll have to see if that plays into it at all. Right now he's fighting in what look like tight fighting jeans which I can't imagine would be much better.

Just started watching episode 4.
So far Fisk seems to lack the confidence I'd expect from that character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the season. Holy Cow!!! What an amazing show. I loved DD from the 90's run and man, they pulled this show right from the pages. I had to force myself to stop so my wife could watch with me..lol. Can not wait for season 2 plus the new line up of shows for the cumming few years.

It pains me to say this because I really, really wanted everything else to work, but how can I? This is the best non-movie MCU thing Marvel currently has out there. While I still like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, they are weak compared to this show. And before I go any further, this is not because I think the show is 'darker' or that it's more violent and bloody. I really think the characterizations are great, the direction is solid and.. *inhales* *exhales* there's a point to it. I left Agent Carter feeling nothing really big happened because she was still in the same situation because I felt her "I know my worth" speech at the end was such a betrayal. Agents of SHIELD is a hard pill to swallow a lot of the time because the show runners overestimated how much their audience would care about the characters they obviously love to write.

And Vincent D'Onofrio. I've always said he's good in anything, and this was a treat. His portrayal of Kingpin is so great and so well developed that he has become my #1 favorite bad guy of the MCU. You know the saying that a bad guy doesn't think he's the bad guy from his point of view? This is the first story I've seen in a long time where that saying was done right. He's brutal, intimidating, but when he says he wants to make the city a better place, he sold me. I actually cared! And his relationship with Vanessa? A highlight. I actually got a little emotional when he was being arrested and gave Vanessa the ring just before he was taken away. These two have such a strong chemistry that being in a relationship with each other made their characters stronger without taking away what makes them dangerous. They are the strongest argument against the whole comic industry's paranoia on why marriages don't work.

There's more I want to say but I've got to think of it carefully.

It pains me to say this because I really, really wanted everything else to work, but how can I? This is the best non-movie MCU thing Marvel currently has out there. While I still like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, they are weak compared to this show. And before I go any further, this is not because I think the show is 'darker' or that it's more violent and bloody. I really think the characterizations are great, the direction is solid and.. *inhales* *exhales* there's a point to it. I left Agent Carter feeling nothing really big happened because she was still in the same situation because I felt her "I know my worth" speech at the end was such a betrayal. Agents of SHIELD is a hard pill to swallow a lot of the time because the show runners overestimated how much their audience would care about the characters they obviously love to write.

And Vincent D'Onofrio. I've always said he's good in anything, and this was a treat. His portrayal of Kingpin is so great and so well developed that he has become my #1 favorite bad guy of the MCU. You know the saying that a bad guy doesn't think he's the bad guy from his point of view? This is the first story I've seen in a long time where that saying was done right. He's brutal, intimidating, but when he says he wants to make the city a better place, he sold me. I actually cared! And his relationship with Vanessa? A highlight. I actually got a little emotional when he was being arrested and gave Vanessa the ring just before he was taken away. These two have such a strong chemistry that being in a relationship with each other made their characters stronger without taking away what makes them dangerous. They are the strongest argument against the whole comic industry's paranoia on why marriages don't work.

There's more I want to say but I've got to think of it carefully.

The issue really is the type of story that's being told. Daredevil had a finite number of episodes to tell a specific story, that of Daredevil vs. Kingpin. The next season, assuming there is one, will be a different story from the Daredevil comic. Agent Carter, on the other hand, didn't have a specific well-defined story to tell, it was just about Peggy Carter and they assumed that Hayley Atwell would carry the show. She did a good job, but the story gets lost. AOS is an open-ended series (rumored to go on 3 seasons) where they are pulling all of it our of their asses. There's no established comic lore to go from, most of the characters are invented specifically for the show and worst of all, they're serving to support the movie franchise more than be an independent series of it's own. They have to find ways to fit into the movies instead of just telling a compelling story on their own that doesn't have to swerve every time a movie comes out. All of them were good for different reasons but my favorite type of storytelling is the one Daredevil used.

The issue really is the type of story that's being told. Daredevil had a finite number of episodes to tell a specific story, that of Daredevil vs. Kingpin. The next season, assuming there is one, will be a different story from the Daredevil comic. Agent Carter, on the other hand, didn't have a specific well-defined story to tell, it was just about Peggy Carter and they assumed that Hayley Atwell would carry the show. She did a good job, but the story gets lost. AOS is an open-ended series (rumored to go on 3 seasons) where they are pulling all of it our of their asses. There's no established comic lore to go from, most of the characters are invented specifically for the show and worst of all, they're serving to support the movie franchise more than be an independent series of it's own. They have to find ways to fit into the movies...

All excellent points. Especially about how most of the AC and AoS characters are not part of the comic universe.
I couldn't get through the first episode of Agent Carter. Maybe I'll make more effort if the show continues, but I can't help but think it's going to get cancelled.
With Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I could take it or leave it at any moment.

I think Marvel should take a lesson from what's good about Daredevil, which is as you said, they already have established characters and stories to work from with the comics. Some of these characters have been around for >40 years... why go and create completely new characters like AoS has done when you have decades of characters to draw from.

It should be interesting to see how they approach the other characters Netflix is planning on turning into series to get to the Defenders.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back