Dan's Gold Leader Y-Wing (WIP)

Decals from Jason arrived Friday and they went on this morning, so I guess she's finally all done!

IMG_6490_small.jpg

IMG_6492_small.jpg

IMG_6494_small.jpg

IMG_6499_small.jpg

Okay, so not the greatest images to show her off, but I wanted to get something out there. Mostly cockpit images here since you've seen a lot of the fuselage in progress already. At the risk of breaching some etiquette perhaps, here are a couple images comparing the cockpit with the ILM original to show the level of detail matching I was aiming for (I figure since I've seen these images on the web and I'm only reproducing them at lower rez here I hope I'm okay including them here this way).

IMG_6501_compare_small.jpg

IMG_6500_compare_small.jpg

Plans are afoot for some video (something something motion control rig with green screen mumble mumble) but that's several weeks out at least. I'll share more fun stuff about that later as it develops...

It's been an amazing journey getting here! Including my training remote and my still unpainted escape pod, this is just my third studio-scale model. I'm re-learning a lot about painting (I did work on military models as a kid) and have definitely caught the big, studio-scale bug badly. I squarely blame Sean (T2Sides) for that! :) For anyone else new to this all I can do is encourage you to go for it, press on, and enjoy the heck out of it - if I can do it, anyone can...

Dan

Seeing the Y and the Falcon together really reinforces how big the 5 footer is. Look great together. Fantastic job.

Thanks for bringing it over Dan!! What a pleasure seeing your model! That really is one AUTHENTIC looking Y-Wing, just amazed at how well you nailed the details, the color, the finish and all the little nuances that make it look just like the Original!! Congrats on completing this incredible build up!!! Can't wait to see your next amazing project!
-Sean

Aww - shucks. Thanks, Sean, that's super nice of you. I was relieved upon holding my Y-Wing next to your Falcon that the overall 'look' seemed to match, in terms of color palette match and the overall level of weathering. They kinda feel like they were made by the same model shop.

Dan

3DImpact, that Gold Leader is absolutely awful...you should send it to me for immediate disposal....

In all seriousness, beautiful job!

You CAN send it to me for ‘disposal’ though. Lol

I had the pleasure of seeing this in person last week. My ability to conjure up the words to describe it properly is simply too limited. The detail, and how it matches the studio model down to individual scratches, is simply amazing. But, having known Dan for 30+ years, I am not the slightest bit surprised.

Worked the cockpit today. I primed and painted, trimmed and tinted the fiber and pulled it through and glued in place. Painted various bits here and there to suggest panel detail, ran a few additional pipes, and used guitar string for the corrugated hoses.

View attachment 1303601
View attachment 1303603
View attachment 1303604
View attachment 1303608
View attachment 1303602
View attachment 1303605
View attachment 1303606
View attachment 1303607

It looks much better in person - nice rich color in the lights and of course all the imperfections that you see in such close-up images blend and disappear. Once the canopy is on and everything is finished the overall effect will be to suggest some interesting detail in there.

Dan
Hi...did you paint the fiber directly on it?
regards

Hi...did you paint the fiber directly on it?
regards
Yes, I painted/tinted the tips of the fibers before running them but then did the cockpit base color with the fibers already run. I left a few inches as the paint dried then pulled to final fit and glued in place.

Dan

White coat on top of the primer, some blue and yellow striping, and the very beginnings of detail and weathering...

View attachment 1328828
View attachment 1328829
View attachment 1328830
View attachment 1328831
View attachment 1328832
View attachment 1328833
View attachment 1328834
View attachment 1328835
View attachment 1328836
View attachment 1328837

The blue is not as intense in person, it's actually pretty subtle. And the cockpit and engine domes aren't quite as bright as they appear here - they are closer in tone to the rest of the fueslage. I'm going for a compromise between the white of the actual filming model and the 'gray' as it kinda appears on screen - I'm trying to capture the on-screen feel while still maintaining as much of the actual model tones as I can. When it's all done I'll use my DSLR to take proper pics and take more care to get properly exposed and white-balanced images to capture it's true in-person appearance.

Layer by layer, wash by wash, learning as I go...

Dan

Hello,

You mentioned the white coat on top of the gray Tamiya Primer. It looks like a very light gray instead of white. Is that just the camera?

I am starting a Y wing and trying to research the colors.

Thanks and amazing work.

Hello,

You mentioned the white coat on top of the gray Tamiya Primer. It looks like a very light gray instead of white. Is that just the camera?

I am starting a Y wing and trying to research the colors.

Thanks and amazing work.

I believe pretty standard ILM practice was to prime with black then base coat with Reefer White then weather over that. That's how Sean did his Falcon and the result is spot on. I 'cheated' a bit on my Y-Wing and just used the Tamiya gray primer because it goes on so very well and preserves every little detail. But then, yes, white for the base coat over that primer before I then started weathering...

Dan

I believe pretty standard ILM practice was to prime with black then base coat with Reefer White then weather over that. That's how Sean did his Falcon and the result is spot on. I 'cheated' a bit on my Y-Wing and just used the Tamiya gray primer because it goes on so very well and preserves every little detail. But then, yes, white for the base coat over that primer before I then started weathering...

Dan

Excellent.

Thank you so much.

Your build has given me hope that maybe somehow I can pull this off.

Thanks again.

Tom

This sample of the pics above amaze me. (y) :D :love: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: o_O o_O o_O

I have seen many attempts to get a prop or model matching exactly to the original and many look amazing, however I have never seen a match like this. It is incredible.

I need to read through this entire thread, but I may have a few more questions if that is okay?

1642692542011.png

This sample of the pics above amaze me. (y) :D :love: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: o_O o_O o_O

I have seen many attempts to get a prop or model matching exactly to the original and many look amazing, however I have never seen a match like this. It is incredible.

I need to read through this entire thread, but I may have a few more questions if that is okay?

<blush, humble>Thanks much!</blush, /humble>

Sure, ask away. It's been a bit now since I had my head deep into this one, but I'm happy to help wherever I can... :)

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back