Dan's Gold Leader Y-Wing (WIP)

Nice paint, looking great! Pics almost never show it correctly (at least in my case) but it's looking awesome.

Lovely paint job -- and really smart, as in "why didn't I think of that?" to paint the body/engines BEFORE adding on the T-struts and rear vectral thrusters.

This is the way - from now on. Thanks!

Little by little...

IMG_6244_small.jpg

IMG_6246_small.jpg

Dan

Getting the bottom fuselage wrapped up - comparison with the ILM original (on the left) and mine (on the right)...

IMG_6320_compare_small.jpg

It's a bit tough to match the exact lighting but I was curious how it was stacking up. Not quite 1:1, maybe 1:0.9. :)

Of course, I know I'll find some details to touch up here and there (I already see at least three or four) but I'll wait until I'm going over the entire model at the end for those. For now I want to finally move on to the engine nacelles...

Dan

Simply incredible work! Dare I say it, I think yours looks better! Personal preference perhaps, but I love the higher contrast.

I don't know how or why, but growing up, I found myself owning a toy Y Wing. But no X Wing or falcon (or any other rebel ship). So the Y Wing holds a very special place in my heart. It's the ship that defeated the empire for me! :)

Thoroughly enjoying seeing the attention your paying to this model. It looks fantastic!

Dan,

I'm not sure who you are trying to fool, but photoshopping the original onto the background of a shag carpet doesn't at all convince me... that it's the same foam background... ; )

Are you so cheap that you can't go buy a piece of foam from Hobby Lobby?

Seriously -- where'd you get those mad painting skillz?

NICE work!!!

Thanks guys! Having a ton of fun learning to weather this thing.

Today was a day of transformation:

IMG_6372_small.jpg

IMG_6373_small.jpg

IMG_6374_small.jpg

Gosh, it seems so much larger now!

My efforts earlier on to mark out the positioning of the T struts so that they were on perfect 45-degree angles paid off. Everything lined up straight and true:

IMG_6378_small.jpg

Now that the vector vanes are on I can finish up the weathering on the engines and the whole rear end. After that I'll tackle the cockpit weathering and detailing.

Dan

Last edited:
"Almost there..."

IMG_6452_small.jpg

That's the last image I'll show until it's all completely done. Just a few minor details to do at this point - the rust spots on the top surface of the cockpit, the turret guns, and decals. When she's all completely done I'll set up some proper 'beauty' shots and show her off.

In the mean time, here's the weathering palette :) :

IMG_6451_small.jpg

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back