Dann's Luke Macrobinoculars update

Those were just cast in the "down" position. You can pull up and turn the real ones to lock them in the up position.

So yeah, yours are correct. Someone should cast some more, and offer both up and down versions!

I believe i still have molds for the knobs, but only in the up position, I can make molds for the down position for the stunt guys and whom ever wants em...

I found it I found it!!

Sorry, was looking for this thread so I could show off my updates to my Hero Macros.

After the success I had with modeling and printing my Stunt Macros transition box, I felt like I was neglecting my old Hero version. It was in desperate need of some updates!

I originally finished building these around 2009-10, and they looked pretty great for the time, with what info and reference we had.

Shortly after the VTR connector was discovered, I was able to snag one of the slightly inaccurate versions, and I'm plenty happy with it for now. One part I didn't have was the female connector, so I modeled and printed several versions. Also have a real one on the way (thanks sir, you know who you are!), so the printed one will be replaced.

I was never happy with my scratch built transition box I made from sheet styrene. So I modeled and printed one of those too! Actually, I modeled and printed two versions. One with an open bottom and one with a closed bottom. I still don't know for sure what was on the real prop. Does anyone have definitive proof one way or the other?

One thing I had to do was replace and change the mounting position of the belt clip. This was easier in theory than in practice. I wanted to have nuts on the inside of the face plate securing the two screws holding the clip on. This required some improvisation. I had to figure out a new way of attaching the face plate since I wouldn't be able to get into the film door once the clip was installed. I drilled and tapped something like four 4-40 holes going from various spots in the plate to the body itself. Had to countersink a few of them.

I also had to grind part of the inner black aluminum part away to make clearance for the belt clip nuts.

Once all that was figured out, I attached the face plate to the body and the TBox to the face plate. I've gone through several versions of the TBox and wedge, and the most recent aren't shown here yet. Need to take pics today if I can.

The electronics also need to be cleaned up and soldered again. I gotta have those two Banthas down there!

I finally painted the lenses, after all these years! And I reworked the big knob, removing the bottom brass section, and made some custom washers for it to be able to turn like a knob should. I stole this idea!

Anyway, I took some progress shots the other day, before I put the lens knobs back on, and before some other stuff was finalized. They've changed a little bit since these were taken, and I'll post newer shots soon!
1123181928.jpg
1123181929.jpg
1125181454a.jpg
1125181456a.jpg
1125181456b.jpg
1125181457.jpg
1125181457a.jpg
1125181459.jpg
1125181501.jpg
1125181501a.jpg
1125181501b.jpg
1125181503a.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and I'm aware of the incorrectness of a few details in those pics, like the wrong color wire wrap and screws facing wrong direction on the VTR plug, and the holes in the sides of the TBox.

My latest TBox has holes only for the wedge to mount to the side, and the viewer frame is now attached with screws at the top and bottom center.

Here's a few shots I took the other day of the different iterations of the parts...
1125181449_HDR.jpg
1125181451_HDR.jpg
1125181451.jpg
1125181451a.jpg
1125181452.jpg
1125181453.jpg
1125181453a.jpg
1125181602.jpg

Questions:
With the transition box are people now thinking that the curved piece is open, is this based on any screen capture or is it because the stunt version is built like this?
How are people attaching the mystery box, the one I have it would appear that the screws only go a short way into the unit. That is a long enough screw couldn’t be threaded all the way though from one side and protrude from the other into the Eumig body - being lazy (my bits are boxed up someplace) but could magnets be used for this, is the Eumig body magnitic? Is the consensus that the back plate should remain and it not snuggle over the Eumig bodies bordering?

I've not seen, nor read, any indication that one side was missing.

I've read that some people have made the transition box from parts of the Kalimar.
If there wasn't enough material to make the box from the Kalimar, is that where people might think it had an open side?

Im a believer in the open trans box. (no not that one...) I made this pic when Kurtyboy and I where mulling it over. I cant remember if these pics are from the DVD or the VHS .The scene was much brighter early on before they darkened it down in later releases. The way the shadows are happening in there I believe its open. You can just see the inner corner of the far side.with a straight line going up. Many do not and that's whats great, everyone builds it the way they see it. My thought was if it had been closed the thing would have been filling up with sand all the time in Tunisia. Probably the same reason the stunts are open,...or not.

sYg2gMs.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back