Dan Laws Tie Pilot Helmet Build

When you say helmet is one piece, are you referring to it being separate pieces but permanently joined?
I have one of DL’s recent helmets and that’s how mine is put together- you ain’t gonna separate the pieces without permanent damage.

Yes, Dan sends out his helmets all assembled. I didn’t realize he meant it was glued together and all. I’ve figured out a few tricks to paint it up by spacing the helmet from the face section while painting so it doesn’t stick together. Dans pulls are very detailed yet perfect, so I want it to come out as if Dan painted it himself. Dan has been a BIG help with my painting questions! Now that I have sanded out a few of the runs from making sure the white doesn’t show when completed, I’ll re-prime and wait for solid cure before spraying the satin black! That’s my plan.....

Fully assembled cuts down on recasting. ;)

There used to be complaints that Hi-Impact didn't sell kits.
Our TIE was recast 4 times in one year and our Snow Trooper and Colonial Marine where also recast (by Golden Armor)

Well I figured out a way to prop up or shim the face plate from the back, mohawk from the face plate to get it painted well. I hope to get the satin black on by the end of the weekend

IMG_1421_zpsaxsyyxz2.jpg

IMG_1422_zpst3bsn7jh.jpg

IMG_1423_zpsy9u4jbkg.jpg

I am pleased to report I was able to get the white version of this helmet from Dan. Pill box and disks enroute, but what was the primer you used? I do have some touch ups with filler and sanding to do, and decide which version to paint. Anyone know what the color is for black? besides shiny....

BIG Day - Scuffed him all up

IMG_1548_zpsrxtvyerz.jpg

Packed him with some paper to space out the face from the head and mohawk so none of the pieces would stick to each other

IMG_1549_zps1nv6id8u.jpg

IMG_1550_zpswwwa0k5q.jpg

IMG_1551_zpse9yba2hn.jpg

First - set him upside-down and hit the bottoms of everything

IMG_1552_zps6bkmrslj.jpg

Sprayed him and it all looks pretty good! A few small pieces of fuzz, but no runs or flashing!

IMG_1553_zps8rqsxqyu.jpg

So should I shoot the metallic details before the clear?

Well I finally made the time to re-shoot this helmet. It was nice and warm out, no breeze, got it all stuffed down and shot....and got a few runs. I watched a few YouTube videos and hope to wet sand these out. If it doesn't work and I burn through the paint, I found a few cool tricks on YouTube to blend rattle can spray jobs if you're clearing afterwards, which I am. I want to clear over the satin black and then paint the charcoal grey frown, voice coder, and mohawk details for some good contrast. Then decals and greeblies! Next weekend this will get tackled, I want this guy done!

61921549201__208CCB50-1836-4D94-9859-FCE3CC8A98DE.jpeg

61921550205__618AB7C7-5891-4287-A584-3B7FE54F3C4E.jpeg

61921551696__D959C723-F822-4E4D-8377-3E97CC413BCA.jpeg

Wet sanding the whole helmet in 800 & 1000 should flatten it all out nicely for clear!

I've never tried to wet sand rattle can paint. So I gave it a go with warm water, a little soap, and 1000 grit wet paper. It worked great getting out the few runs and little imperfections in the black paint. No burn throughs. I gave Mr. Tie a nice warm water and soap bath afterwards. Tomorrow I'l re-tape off the eyes and put back the paper blocking to keep some of the parts of the helmet from touching each other, and clear him! I'm hoping all will go well....Here's his current state

61983496257__2FA330EB-3570-4879-A835-AC2782E19508.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

IMG_7779.jpeg

For accuracy I would drill out the Imperial disks and cut out the two squares at the front of the Mowhawk and attach a separate plate from the inside.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back