Daft Punk: Guy-Manuel helmet | GM01

FutureGuy

Hi The RPF.

I've been reading and checking the forum for a long time now. My name is Mike, akaa Future Guy Mike, and i finally finished something that i thought i should post here. Its been almost two years of designing, ,crafting, molding, casting, forming, painting, , glueing, screwing, soldering, programming and finally finishing the whole thing. A huge odyssey on every of those steps to finally achieve de desired quality.

The project started just as high quality replica of the helmet, but grown to a whole new level with the help of my uncle George. A total attention paid to detail, custom designed electronics system and a massive codding labor, give this unit some features that makes it such an special piece: The GM01

love-props-show-gm01-010.jpg

​.
love-props-show-gm01-002.jpg
love-props-show-gm01-003.jpglove-props-show-gm01-004.jpg

Special Prop Features:
- Grade A mirror surface in the chrome. Huge attention to the surfaces geometry
- No flat surfaces. Every one of them has a slight curvature, so the chorme reflects properly
- Complete modular system. Srew/unscrew for deatatching every part, easy replacement
- Curved LED diffusers. Instead of flat acrylic pannels, a curved chassis follows the visor curvature
- The right scale. Enough space for the head and electronics, without looking like a bubble-head
- Strong and durable materials. Tested durability along the time

Special Electronics features:

- Complete full RGB lighting. 210 smd RGB
- No cheap wire soldering. Each panel has a custom housing PCB for safe and durable solderings
- ARM Cortex M4 Teensy 3.2 processor. Tiny and powerful processor
- WiFi NodeMCU. Allows WiFi interaction with the unit
- Accelerometer. Allows motion interaction with the unit
- Internal Microphone and Line input. Allows the unit to interact with music or sound
- USB and SD Card slot. Makes easier to add LED choreographies or update the firmware
- MIDI support. Makes easier to add more LED choreographies without programming knowledge via MIDI
- Custom MIDI Library. Plug and play with the common music production softwares
- Custom chromatic library. Absolute control of the colors, saturation, brightness and timing for pure colors
- Internal LCD Screen. 2 inch LCD displays the menu of the firmware. Scrollable with the right ear control knob
- Internal Fans. 2 fans placed on the jaw allows a cool breathing of the user
- Long-lasting autonomy. Powered by the 14 Amps LoveProps gauntlet, more than 5 hours of autonomy
- User Guide and Technical Guide (being written). For debugging and easy repairing

All the features listed below make this unit more than a helmet. The right concept would be an interactive light instrument. An easy to play and fully customizable device for composing music for the eyes. Everything housed on a, one-of-a-kind, high quality replica of the iconic Guy Manuel helmet, paying special attention to the geometry and curve lines.

The unit shown in the pictures is the first unit to be ever finished. Fully tested and with firmware 1.0, wich includes fully functional features except the accelerometer (still code left to include) and the WiFi service (Beta Code), but the hardware is actually included on the unit for supporting future firmware updates.

Recently, we created a website ( www.love-props.com ) to show off our finished projects, technical information, creation processes (blog), future projects, workshop tips, schematics,...etc. There is still a lot of content and work to be done in the website (grammar corrections too, because English is not my native language), but by now, i hope it works well as a showcase of what we, me and my uncle, do with Love.

I'm actually excited to finally drop my work in the forum so you guys can review it. I'm a daily visitor and the tips and projects the community shares helped me through the building process on a everyday basis, so thank you! And aldo thanks for checking me out and i will be glad to reply to any your comments.

Attachments

• love-props-show-gm01-010.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 432
  • love-props-show-gm01-013.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-013.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 721
  • love-props-show-gm01-001.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-001.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 207
  • love-props-show-gm01-005.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-005.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 156
  • love-props-show-gm01-011.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-011.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 154
  • love-props-show-gm01-015.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-015.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN2148.jpg
    DSCN2148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 328
  • love-props-show-gm01-021.jpg
    love-props-show-gm01-021.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 231
  • love-props-show-gm01-010.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited by a moderator:
This helmet is just incredible!
I can only try to imagine the work that you have to do on this. You can be proud!

Thanks to everybody that joined the thread. Really apreciate the effort and time you guys spent reviewing the final result. It has taken, literally, thousands of hours to achieve the desired quality in the model, the hardware designing and the firmware/software... So, reading your positive feedback on the result it's just a complete pleasure. More demo content of the hardware/software capabilities of this GM01 unit will be published during the forthcoming weeks.

I have allready answered few recieved PM's about the possibility of making more commisioned GM01 units. And by now, the unit shown in the pictures/video is being used as a prototype to conclude the 1.0 version of the firmware (still code left to include regarding the Motion Sensor interaction) and it's pretty time-consuming before thinking on other GM01 units

4zEb8SK.jpg

Thanks again and for those interested in the crafting/creation process of the final result, check the following link. Anyway, i'll be gladly answering your question here at the comments or via PM

BuildLog: http://www.love-props.com/en/blog-love-props/101-finished-blog-diaries/gm01

I've soaked up every article on your website, thanks so much for sharing your experience you had throughout the process. I could only imagine the headache and frustration when trying to get the acrylic visor done.
But holy cr*p the end result is something you can definitely be proud of. I've followed the few successful builds where people tried replicate this helmet but this definitely takes the cake for me (sorry Volpin).

Give it a shot and hit up Daft Punk directly with a little video, you never know who might respond! :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back