Da Vinci Code Props--UPDATES!!! NEW PROP!!!

Here's my 2 new discipline whipe, made of an old hammock that my dad was about to throw away.

This one has 9 knotted ropes on the end:
discipline016.jpg

discipline018.jpg

and this one has six:
discipline012.jpg

discipline015.jpg

rope knots:
discipline014.jpg

not bad...the rope that connects the spiral slashes to the handle need to be longgggg. like, around 22 inches. also, remember to braid the handle, and i think the spiral slashes are the half hitch knot from hemp necklaces (look up online...instructions are everywhere)

looking good, though. hammock string...very creative...

--Ash

Thanks, it was pretty much guess and check...I just cut the hammock up, and ended up with about 100 or more 4 foot ropes, so I have plenty left to make plenty more,lol.

The Discipline whip...FINALLY FINISHED........ Talk about an all day project. My hands feel like sand paper after dealing with all that cotton.

Some completed pics followed by some progress pics. Click thumbnail to enlarge.

Remember to scroll up, and compare to the authentic Opus Dei whip.

--Ash

It appears that the Cryptex's dials are not exactly marble, when properly aligned to read apple, the design that appears as marble forms the Virtuvian Man. Not sure if that made it to final screen used prop or not.

If the question was directed at me, the Illustrated Screenplay shows the cryptex including a layout that shows the marble reproduces the Virtruvian Man.

JD.
I went out and picked up a copy of the Illustrated Screenplay. That's crazy. I would've never guessed. We'll see if Noble Collection puts that on their cryptexes.

--Ash

Good news, I just made a new prop, the tracker that was in langdons pocket at the louvre, I made it with a large watch battery and glued some electronic parts to it to make it look like it did in the movie.....I'll post pics later....

<div class='quotetop'>(JD @ May 29 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]1252928[/snapback]</div>
It appears that the Cryptex's dials are not exactly marble, when properly aligned to read apple, the design that appears as marble forms the Virtuvian Man. Not sure if that made it to final screen used prop or not.
[/b]

It didn't, but there's a reason why

If an image could be formed by aligning the dials to the right code, and if we can assume a person would at some point try different combinations without following the clues (as Sophie did in the book) then someone could simply discover the image and unlock the cryptex, ignoring the much more difficult riddle. So the Virtuvian Man had to be sacrificed.

As you can see in the image below, the marble patterns on the rings doesn't match the illustration of the Virtuvian Man rings. It's too bad, but it seems almost too clever an idea.

cryptex.jpg

Well, if anyone did a good run on the keys I'd be in. I was reading the feedback on the guy who sells them on Ebay and one of his customers complained that the key he bought fell apart.

I've got the Google Cryptex, which is probably about as good as anyone can get without spending stupid money. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to change the combination though. I know it can be done and I'd like to do it.

I have been seeing ads for the Da Vinci Code DVD gift set that will be available Nov 17th (with the regular DVD release that same day) the set is $59 and has a bunch of extras including - in their discription:

" Includes an authentic, working cryptex, and replica Robert Langdon Journal"

For that price I will keep my fingers crossed and check them out on the 17th to see if they are any good. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back