Da Vinci Code Props--UPDATES!!! NEW PROP!!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by spiderfan11, Apr 22, 2006.

1. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey All, I recently had a need for a fix of props. Who in this place are planning on making some of the stuff from the Da vinci code? I am already working on a cryptex, which is coming along well, and I also am playing around with the Bank key. (The Gold cross with Triangled Key End) Let Me Know, I am very interested in if anyone is working on replicas of either these to things or others. I was even going to buy a mona lisa poster off ebay, and a UV invisible marker, so I can right on it and have it invisible until I shine a black light on it.

2. cboath

cboath Master Member

It's been a while since I read it, but I thought he wrote on the painting on the opposite wall of the mona lisa (virgin on the rocks or something like that), or at worst 'around' the mona lisa. The mona lisa is the only painting in the louvre behind glass. He couldn't have written on it.

I soooo want a cryptex though :) I've wanted one since I read the book. Be nice to see some pics.

3. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cboath @ Apr 22 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]1231351[/snapback]</div>
    havnt read the book, so may be off base, but couldnt he have written on the glass over the mona lisa???
    dont know the context of him writting around it or whatever, just putting something out there, probably really off base :p

looking forward the the flick though, looks like it could be pretty good,

4. Jedi_Dogs

Jedi_Dogs New Member

I'd love to have a cryptex too. Could we possibly see some progress pics spiderfan?

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Yes, the writing on the Mona Lisa was in fact on the glass in front of it. It's mentioned quite clearly in the book, and you can see it in the movie trailer, there's a shadow being cast by the letters onto the painting.

As for props.... I must have a cryptex. 'nuff said. :)

6. RelicMaker

RelicMaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was planning on building the cryptex in a couple of months, or at least start it. It would be nice to have all the screen caps available, after the movie comes out that is, so I can make it exact as possible. Unless, someone here has an illegal download and can share some screencaps with us.

7. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

I agree - I'd buy a cryptex.

8. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

9. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

Woah man, I would definatly want the cryptex

10. spiderfan11

Yea, I have that site. I don't have any progress pics, and I just bought a frame for a mona lisa today that I could write on. I also started my key which is almost finished. I should have some pics for you guys soon.

Alright, bare with me, I have a lot of pics to show.........

First, the cryptex Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rose On Box
    [​IMG]

Now, the design for the bank key I made using paint. Still need better screen caps:
    [​IMG]

11. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I was wondering when this would come up ;)

I just finished the book, and can't wait for the movie...
    Cryptex and the key would be my thoughts...the most obvious...
    And I thought about doing the rose box too...

*Note* funny, the pics above don't look like how I pictured these items to look...
    I saw the cryptex as more marble, and the letters setting the other way. (almost Flintstone like)
    And the box with the rose carved in one corner.**

Now then...would they be based on the book, or the movie?
    :)

12. Kal-ElofKrypton

Nice find on the pictures

13. RelicMaker

I haven't read the book yet, but I heard from someone who has that there's another cryptex inside of the cryptex. Is this true? Because it seems that there isn't one in the prop in the movie.

14. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Some of the suspense of the story might be compromised by answering your question ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RelicMaker @ Apr 26 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]1233651[/snapback]</div>

15. spiderfan11

Nope, to be honest, i picture the cryptex a little more like the one on the site posted, but this one is more fancy and regal looking. The Key I pictured as being a little more plain than the one in the trailer, and I thought it would just be engraved with the Fleur De Lis, instead of having a 3-d one. Also, the cryptex in the movie is a lot smaller than the one in the book is described as, mainly because I think they may have removed/changed one or more parts of the storyline.

16. spiderfan11

Alright, I think I'm done tweeking my Priory Golden Key I hope you all enjoy and if you have any questions, feel free.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Kal-ElofKrypton

Please tell me you will make the key if there is enough interest. Great job.

18. spiderfan11

Now I wish I had more molding skills. I could see what I could do about that if you really like it. Thanks for the compliment man, I appreciate it.

19. Kal-ElofKrypton

Sure no problem, I really like it

20. spiderfan11

Great, then I achieved my goal with this one. LOL, anyone else got anything to show?

21. spiderfan11

Just finished my cryptex. It's more based off of the one from the book, so it's not as fancy as the movie one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Kal-ElofKrypton

Great job spiderfan11. Do you or anyone else plan on making the one from the movie? It would be really sweet to have.

23. spiderfan11

I think I will at some point. I just want to see the movie first so I can see it more.

24. spiderfan11

25. spiderfan11

Alright, this threads been down too long, I figured I would bring it back now that the movie is out. Recently, I made Silas' discipline rope whip thing, I will take some pics and have them up in a little bit. I was bnored and needed a prop fix, so I bought some rope. If anyone cares to get one, I would be glad to make some more for a small cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. RelicMaker

<div class='quotetop'>(Kal-ElofKrypton @ May 1 2006, 03:45 AM) [snapback]1236211[/snapback]</div>
    There's another thread about the cryptex right here:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...pic=105856&st=0

The cryptex from the movie has been licensed to Noble Collection, so their producing two versions of it now. The movie sized version and a smaller size. They also have the key for sale in pure silver, and a little pricy.
    You can check it out here:

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catid=52

27. JD

JD Master Member

Other props to consider:

-Langdon's book/dust cover: The Sacred Feminine, both english and french variants.

-Fache's Opus Dei pin.

28. Kal-ElofKrypton

I was thinking of the bank key from the Movie. I know its availible at noblecollection.com but I cant afford it for $200 dollars.

Spiderfan could you try that? with the bank laser bubbles and the enscription?

29. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Silas' Calice looks like an easy one to make too

30. spiderfan11

It's cilice.....and I was kinda thinking about modding a spiked dog collar for that one, and then adding some leather straps to make it wearable. For those of you who wanted a key but can't afford the noble collections price.....check it out. looky what I found for 50.00 on ebay.

Fleur De Lis Key Auction

31. Kal-ElofKrypton

Wow thats a good deal.

32. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JD @ May 23 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1249270[/snapback]</div>

I've got a friend who owns a print on demand book company. If someone could do the cover and some reasonable interior pages (in PDF format) I could get these printed and bound for not too much. Or at the very least it would be a "blank" book if there's not enough to "fill" it out.

Richard

33. Ashfrank

Ashfrank New Member

The Discipline whips must be for sale somewhere...how else do, well, people who use them get them?

I'm thinking a full scale rendering of Silas. (Dye a bath robe black, and attach hood)

--Ash

34. spiderfan11

I know there must be some place to get the discipline, but I couldn't find it. If someone could find a link, that'd be great. The book is a good idea, if anyone could get a pdf made.

P.S.----WHO ELSE IS PUMPED ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ANGELS AND DEMONS MOVIE?

35. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

meeee.. I always thought that A&D would make a much better film than the DaVinci Code. The pacing and action just seemed better suited to film, edge of the seat stuff I thought.

And going by the fact that I loved the DaVinci film... hopefullly I'll like A&D even more (when it's made, lol)

36. spiderfan11

37. Ashfrank

Ashfrank New Member

Hey guys...so I went ahead and started gathering materials for The Discipline whip. I remember the spiral pattern from old hemp-choker necklaces, and the handle is just a braid with multiple strands.

The hardest part with The Discipline is finding the materials. This is a classic RPF story...total creativity, I must say.

So, I went to Michaels crafts, looking for a "thick twine" or a "thin rope"...got nothing. All they had were bead and hemp sets. Then I went to Lowes...more bad luck. They had plenty of rope, but it was all nylon or polyester, and I want that rope look and feel, and plus, a nylon rope won't hold the spiral/braid patterns.

Then, as I was proozing through Tom Thumb, I walked past something that caught my eye...a mop-head replacement. I decided to take my chances, and buy one, hoping that the strand is just one long piece of rope.

I hit the jackpot. One HUGE strand of the perfect color, perfect width, and perfect feel for The Discipline. Plus, there is a lot to work with. More than 2,900 feet worth of this stuff. It's woven cotton, so it's strong and will last forever.

The trouble is, a mop-head is essentiall this big piece of thick twine wrapped over and over and over across two plastic pieces, and all of it is bound by these green connectors, sewn into the piece. It was a huge pain in the neck getting the green connectors out and separating the rope from the plastic ends, but in the end, with a pair of scissors, a seam ripper, and a pair of locking pliers, I got the job done.

Afterward, I made myself a quick little spool and wrapped the rope around. Later tonight I'll get to work on the spiraled ends. I'll keep you guys posted. Check out the progress pics below.

--Ash

First...here is a picture of a real Discipline whip from the Opus Dei Awareness Network. Hopefully mine will be a dead on match when I'm finished. :)

Click thumbnails for a bigger picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. spiderfan11

Cool make sdure you post pics when done. I'm gonna get some more/different rope today so i can make a more accurate one, now that I made some tests.

39. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

40. spiderfan11

I got another prop idea that won't cost more than 15 dollars or so...Langdon's mickey mouse watch, they have them all over on ebay.

41. DarthWaffles

DarthWaffles Active Member

42. spiderfan11

O yea. you're way better off with the 50 dollar one's off ebay...that's just a rip-off..........

43. spiderfan11

Here's my 2 new discipline whipe, made of an old hammock that my dad was about to throw away.

This one has 9 knotted ropes on the end:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this one has six:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rope knots:
    [​IMG]

44. Ashfrank

Ashfrank New Member

not bad...the rope that connects the spiral slashes to the handle need to be longgggg. like, around 22 inches. also, remember to braid the handle, and i think the spiral slashes are the half hitch knot from hemp necklaces (look up online...instructions are everywhere)

looking good, though. hammock string...very creative...

--Ash

45. spiderfan11

Thanks, it was pretty much guess and check...I just cut the hammock up, and ended up with about 100 or more 4 foot ropes, so I have plenty left to make plenty more,lol.

46. Ashfrank

Ashfrank New Member

The Discipline whip...FINALLY FINISHED........ Talk about an all day project. My hands feel like sand paper after dealing with all that cotton.

Some completed pics followed by some progress pics. Click thumbnail to enlarge.

Remember to scroll up, and compare to the authentic Opus Dei whip.

--Ash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. spiderfan11

that's freaking nice dude, great job.

48. JD

JD Master Member

It appears that the Cryptex's dials are not exactly marble, when properly aligned to read apple, the design that appears as marble forms the Virtuvian Man. Not sure if that made it to final screen used prop or not.

49. spiderfan11

Where did you get that from?

50. spiderfan11