Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

Re: Cyberman - at last!! IN FOAM!!!

great build and it was great meeting you at Comikaze

14.JPG

Well, we both made it to ComiKaze. I had a great time, it was small, using only one hall, but it was a lot of fun and there was still much to see and do.
Here is the link to my facebook album from Saturday when I was there:

ComiKaze Los Angeles November 2011 | Facebook

I'm the older version of Cyberman, from the Earthshock story and wondersquid is in his armored Cyberman.

So you can see how well we held up. Couldn't walk very far before we kept getting stopped and asked to pose for photos. In fact we didn't really get out of the parking structure and the picture taking started.

Let us know what you think. I'm still reworking the gun, but there is a light inside which made it a cool prop. I think I was out for more than an hour and a half, and after I changed and walked back, wondersquid finally decided he was ready to be human again, too.

There should be more photos to be posted, especially from Sunday!

Not sure how I missed this thread until today....
But, better late then never right?
Great job on the cyberman. Since my pep job reverted back to square 1, I have been tempted to work on foam now that winter temps are hitting in MN. I have about 20 packs of the Harbor Freight foam, mainly because I can't find the thinner packs! So this may be tempting next month if I don't restart the pep files, or maybe do a mix of the two?
Like others have stated, if there was a pattern available, it may make me decide to use foam. Just depends on price and how hard it would be to resize/modify

Awesome work! I actually ran across you at Comikaze (I was doing the Hug A Sword Mistress for charity gig). It looked very awesome, you're ruddy brilliant, and from one perfectionist to another, I could kind of see what you were mentioning in past posts. I'm going as a Cybershade to Gallifrey 1, and I really only have the mask to worry about. Definitely feel I'm over my head. This is the first time I'm working on a full mask, and let's just say that previous attempts on making materials work has put me at a standstill. Since I'm such a newbie, and rushing this project now, I was wondering if you could spare a few minutes. I've got the pattern and have done the cut-outs before... It's just issues with getting the pieces adhered securely together (would you believe that I tried hot glue at one point). And this plasti-dip stuff? Lol! I'd really appreciate any help you might be able to offer. I definitely am going to swing by the local Harbor Frieght today to check out those mats.

Cant wait to get the templates for this, its gonna be my next project....

Fantastic work dude, truly fantastic

WOW! That holiday season really takes all your free time away! Ok, back to work, Gallifray is right around the corner! I finally got to the gloves, here is the patterning process.
2011-12-10102516.jpg

2011-12-10103819.jpg

These are the gloves I use as a base, they are wal-mart specials, got them in 3 pack. I start with a 1/8" foam base for the detail styling, I only wrapped the top of the glove, I've found that in the past, keeping the palm uncovered helps in gripping things.
2011-12-10102504.jpg

2011-12-21191704.jpg

Now the top details, this I did in 1/4", just to give the gloves more definition.
2011-12-21192656.jpg

Now the fun part, the fingertips are different from the thumbs. The pattern is simple, I "v" cut the tops so when I glue them it gives it that "fasceted" look. Then I glue a strip on the bottom to seal it and create "tips" for gluing on.
2011-12-10114133.jpg

2011-12-21191717.jpg

2011-12-21193907.jpg

Next is the REALLY fun part, I made the each finger to have 2 sections, then the tip, but on the thumb it's only one and it looks like I will have to trim the pinky too.
2011-12-10110444.jpg

2011-12-21193925.jpg

2011-12-10111921.jpg

2011-12-21203311.jpg

2011-12-21203336.jpg

So that's it so far, have to finish the rest of the fingers and then vinyl dip and paint.

Looking good, and a great idea for the gloves. I have yet to make mine, and seeing this gives me ideas. What is the book or pages you have in the background of the 3rd pic? I don't think I have seen those pages before, and now I have to have it! So tired of trying to find details on Google images.

What is the book or pages you have in the background of the 3rd pic?
Scouser, I have xerox copies of a rare model builder magazine out of the UK, it did a detailed article that showed the original sculpts and designs for the whole suit. I used that, plus the figure, plus some shots of the costume in parts from another UK site. I wish i could post this stuff, but I have printed most of it and I guess I could scan it, but it will look pretty awful. Let me see what I can do.

Scouser, I have xerox copies of a rare model builder magazine out of the UK, it did a detailed article that showed the original sculpts and designs for the whole suit. I used that, plus the figure, plus some shots of the costume in parts from another UK site. I wish i could post this stuff, but I have printed most of it and I guess I could scan it, but it will look pretty awful. Let me see what I can do.

It is times like this I really hate living in the U.S. or wish I did not enjoy British TV so much. I wonder if that model builder magazine sells back issues, either print or PDF? My whole day at work was me thinking about that magazine.
If there are any prints from it that can be reproduced, I would gladly donate towards your time, etc. I could never find anything that nice for references in the U.S.

Impressive as ALWAYS!!! I cant wait to see finished gloves. The Skills that you have with foam are SIMPLY AMAZING!!! I cannot say it enough..

Holy cow dude! You are really taking your time and doing this some justice - VERY impressive work! Rep points for you!

Sorry, got a little side-tracked, TimeandSpace needed some help with her Cybershade outfit so I made the mask for her in a day. I know, I know, I have no progress pics because we went so fast making it. But Hey I figured some of you would find this cool.
2012-01-15190749.jpg

2012-01-15190810.jpg

Damn your glove looks awesome !
You sir and your job is a real inspiration to me.

Keep building !

Glad I spotted this thread! I was just all but decided on buying premade Iron Man suit parts from the JY. Having seen how good foam can look on this Cyberman suit I think I will have to give a foam Iron Man suit a go after all!

Just wanted to let you know I found the magazine here in the U.S. and ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I am so happy I bought it. I am really enjoying not only the pics, but the write up also.

Just wanted to let you know I found the magazine here in the U.S. and ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I am so happy I bought it. I am really enjoying not only the pics, but the write up also.

That is crazy funny, I was gonna post the scans I did last night, but I got too tired of trying to figure out 4shared. Can I ask how much and where, I would love a copy myself, but when I looked it was sold out and a rare item.

I would suggest picasa as an easy file hosting alternative. That being said, major kudos to you!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back