cw Reverse Flash economy build

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by ajb3art, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

so i want to build a reverse flash, but i can't sew and i dont have 200 dollars even to spend on the costume. so this is gonna be cardstock, foam and house items.

first i'll start with the cowl. took a cpatain america cowl off ebay 20 bucks, and a night owl cowl off ebay 30 bucks, and put them together. saw a gentleman do this on this page it was pretty cool. idea. after some hacking, some super glue, and some base coat plasti dip. i get this. to be either plasti dip yellow or airbrushed or a combo of both later
    20150329_230641.jpg 20150329_230628.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

next its about the symbols. so i tried cutting eva foam with bevels: fail. tried sculpting it, also fail. new plan was to try papercrafting and that went successful so i moved it over to cardstock/bristolboard and with some scoring and some tape, i have my shapes. next i'll cast them so i can make more. but a few coats of PVA or modge podge and these r good as is. 20150403_205604.jpg

George likes this.
  2. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love budget builds! Good luck!

ajb3art likes this.
  3. RingDeacon

RingDeacon New Member

I love this. Cannot wait to see more.

ajb3art likes this.
  4. isusuperman

isusuperman Active Member

great idea on the cowl I am anxious to try this myself how are the two pieces laying together? Is the glue holding up as you expected?

ajb3art likes this.
  5. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

yes i used basic gorilla instant glue its working phenominally. Big difference was head size circumfrance, required some alteration in the rear and some new velcro but for budget not bad so far. Should have it painted by wed w some new pics

6. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

This is an incredible idea.
    Where did you see this done before?

ajb3art likes this.
  7. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

I saw it on reddit. Here is some progress. Did a test on an old dredd vest i had.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

George likes this.
  8. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

Nice!
    Do you remember where you got that vest? or at least which one?

ajb3art likes this.
  9. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

yes its harder to find but this is the version they make now. http://www.amazon.com/BIKER-MOTORCY...428516431&sr=8-14&keywords=leather+biker+vest

again any vest will do but i had this laying around. honestly for an economy build, just one of those nice plain black half color coats u see in kohls or jc penny work great, just glue foamies to them (heat sealed) and plasti dip the crap out of it. i used the vest to test my pasti dip it was an old judge dredd vest. but i like it now so for now i'll use it. but yes a 20 dollar zip up black half color with foamies glued will work great.

- - - Updated - - -

so here is some progress on what i have thus far, i won't be making any advances on this for a few days or so heading into my heavy work days. but i will definitely begin the belt this weekend or next wed. 20150408_134252.jpg 20150408_134806.jpg

George likes this.
  10. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

11. jrenemtz321

jrenemtz321 Well-Known Member

This is looking great. Excellent work.

ajb3art likes this.
  12. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

!awesome looking is build your - * comment in reverse

ajb3art likes this.
  13. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Wow! That looks great.

ajb3art likes this.
  14. Peachpanda

Peachpanda Jr Member

Do you happen to have link to these two cowls? It looks great so far!

ajb3art likes this.
  15. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

image.jpg

Mold test for my reverse flash pieces. As for the two cowl pieces as i said what they were but ebay purchases so no links. Buy it now prices 26 cap cowl and 34 night owl. Heat gun to reform them cuz they showed up creaaaaaaased as all hell

George likes this.
  16. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg

Here are the stages of these. $7 mold material, $20 resin mix. Results not phenominal but rubbery and bendable. Started w paper, moved to foam and cardstock, sealed n molded. Tried painting the master ear bolts. Meh. Resin casts mixed w red paint. Not bad. Good enough for my belt. Doing another pull to see if burping it yields less bubbles. I may stick w masters if the molding doesnt yield great results but it was my first attempt at molding n resin.

George likes this.
  17. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

just a quick update I am doing another casting from my temporary mold. but I am also now open to suggestions on what i should be getting from smooth on to make a decent long term mold (50 pulls or so) and then what type of material options i should be looking at for a more solid less flexi mold material. the current resin mix i have is sticky and flopsy.

for the purposes of this build, i will continue to use the cardstock/foam symbols. but for my own reference id like to hear advice on that for casting this kinda stuff, not big 2 part mold stuff just the small things like chest symbols and belt pieces.

18. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

image.jpg File Apr 15, 2 40 13 PM.jpeg File Apr 15, 2 40 03 PM.jpeg

Added a vinyl sleeve hoodie under the vest and plastidipped those. Gotta do the foam shoulderpads and elbow pads. Started the belt also

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  19. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Resin flexible ear bolts on the cowl

image.jpg File Apr 15, 2 40 25 PM.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  20. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

OK so quick update. plastidip on vinyl...BAD idea. the fact that it peels off and u can move on to new coloring...goooooood. always start with dip first cuz if it doesnt' work u can just sponge it off. should have new updates this week.

21. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Belt progress. Eva foam and flexible resin bolts cast from my masters. Figured id use them for something.
    image.jpg

22. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Here is what i have so far. Shaping up well. I need to finish the shoulder pads and detail a few things but its almost done.
    image.jpg image.jpg

23. sparton110

sparton110 Well-Known Member

This is so cool. Makes me want to try this out on a flash suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajb3art likes this.
  24. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

yeah i mean even without every single detail its pretty decent. there is another build on here that is totally scratch and its insanely good, but i dont have the skills or funds to do a scratch suit or drop 200 on the cowl. so just doin the best i can with what i got, which is all any of us can do haha. fairly loving my first attempt at resin casting tho. lookin to do more of that in the future. I'll post some pics wearing the full suit when i finish it though. should have it done next week.

25. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Boots have begun.

26. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

image.jpg
    Started adding the shoulder pads. This is basically done just gotta add the rear v and im done

27. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

reverse flash shoot 1.jpg reverse flash shoot 2.jpg

This is about 95 % done. im not thrilled with teh shoulders but for now its fine. clearly i'll have to do a jacket next time, the vest/undercoat thing didn't pan out with the shoulder but hey live and learn. the chest symbol is attached the belt attached. i think i'll add 2 or 4 more pieces to the belt. i dont think i need to spray the pants that way i can recycle my pants for other costumes, and the boots i have to add the foam pieces i did for them, they are still drying. other than that its not bad for budget. i sweat to DEATH in that thing tho.

Swashbuckler likes this.
  28. jrenemtz321

jrenemtz321 Well-Known Member

Looks great! My only suggestion would be to tailor / tighten it up a bit.

29. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

yeah i know im going to replace the 2 part top with a jacket at some point, but as it was a budget build i used what i could find cheap. i cannot sew i have no sewing machine. but this was a test run i want to sell this one and give a proper go again down the line. maybe next season or whenver they change the suit.

30. BR2814

BR2814 Active Member

Great job on this Reverse Flash costume!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    ajb3art likes this.
  31. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Thank you. Looking for advice on improving the shoulder pads

32. robotboy

robotboy Well-Known Member

looks incredible!

ajb3art likes this.
  33. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

I am replacing the shoulder pads completely. Using pleather instead of foam.

34. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

This is my updated suit in action with the new shoulder pads. check it out. *Funny video*

[video]https://youtu.be/EpU2ZzRVKF0[/video]

35. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

11203078_10101498625324712_1409477736617810572_n.jpg
    Updated shoulders

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  36. arsenalroy

arsenalroy New Member

I want to make a reverse flash costume too but idk what to use for paint or even if I could use paint, unfortunately I don't know what type of leather my jacket is, can anyone help? 20150507_162102.jpg

37. NOMAD202

NOMAD202 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lol that's so awesome, I love economy builds.

ajb3art likes this.
  38. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

. The paint i used is design master colortool. For flowers and crap. Works great. But i used plastidip too for the reaaaaally yellow stuff

39. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Update!*! replaced the ring with this ring from shapeways. used a coupon, got it for unbelievably cheap. practically free. quick repaint on the plastic no smoothing done to it and its pretty awesome. size 12 is a bit snug id do a 14 to go over the gloves in the future but i'll probably split the ring bottom to make it fit on everything. very happy with this upgrade.

also going to be upgrading teh boots and the mask with an all new mask!!!! also going to finish the belt and detail a bit more. it will be on going until i eventually do a whole new jacket but this one is doing fine for now :)

IMG_20150506_181218nopm.jpg

40. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

20150524_210813.jpg new cowl!

- - - Updated - - -

20150524_210813.jpg NEW COWL!

41. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is an amazing cowl, where did you manage to get it from?

Great build btw, looking forward to the next update.

42. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

its from shawshank props. found them in a group on facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

New Cowl COMIC page.jpg 11062311_10101543129488012_2835239120327144421_n.jpg

Here is a fun little bit with the new cowll thrown up. I'll have some high rez shots with the updated cowl soon, i only have 1 day a week off to work on stuff so its hard. but i'll have something for ya!

ANYONE going to SPECIAL EDITION CON in NYC this weekend I'll be there SUNDAY. look for me at the valiant panel.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  43. Revo

Revo New Member

If can i ask.... where did you get the pants?, looks amazing man!, i'm gonna build the mine too!, and this is a fantastic idea!