Cutting with a Dremel Tool

Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need to trim a piece of 1/8" plastic that's been vacuformed. What's the best bit to use and how do I do it without melting or gumming up the bit. I've cut tubes and things using a composite wheel in my Dremel but have never cut large piece like this. I'm still getting the hang of using the thing. :confused Ideally I'd like to use a band saw but this is all I've got. Any pointers or what not to do would be great. Thanks in advance.

Score it with an x-acto close to where you want the cut to be, pop it off, and trim with a fresh #11 blade, maybe? how big is this part, and how thick is the vac plastic?

On my clone armor I used the little buzz saw shaped blade. Took a little getting used to but I found it to be quicker than using the abrasive based cut off wheel.

Originally posted by moffeaton@Mar 9 2006, 09:55 AM
Score it with an x-acto close to where you want the cut to be, pop it off, and trim with a fresh #11 blade, maybe? how big is this part, and how thick is the vac plastic?
[snapback]1202238[/snapback]​

Yeah, I had thought about doing that with a utility knife but since it's 1/8" thick and roughly 30" sq. I thought it might be to beefy to do it that way. The part I'm cutting out is about 10"x18".

Originally posted by bcgd+Mar 9 2006, 12:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bcgd @ Mar 9 2006, 12:28 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-moffeaton
@Mar 9 2006, 09:55 AM
[snapback]1202238[/snapback]​

Yeah, I had thought about doing that with a utility knife but since it's 1/8" thick and roughly 30" sq. I thought it might be to beefy to do it that way. The part I'm cutting out is about 10"x18".
[snapback]1202269[/snapback]​
[/b]

Size matters not. The score-&-snap technique should work just fine. It will help if you have a good table edge handy.

I've used the reinforced fibreglass based cut-off wheels... they don't "cut" cleanly, more like they grind the plastic down and you end up having to trim off this flakey excess with an exacto but I've been able to be extremely accurate in grinding the plastic part down to fit.

- J.

Dremel Scroll Saw

B0002HC23Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I picked it up for $175 (free shipping) about two weeks ago. It looks like the sale is over at Amazon, but there is still free shipping.

That is SOOOO cool. Unfortunately my house was built around the time when the automobile was still just catching on (1906) and have no garage so I have to use things that I can take out and put away easily. I definitely will get one when my wife and I buy our next house, the one with the two car garage and workshop. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back