Customs charges UK

CrimsonCoscrafts

Hey,

Just wondering if any guys here from the Uk have experience with customs and charges!? Would like to try get an idea on how long they tend to keep stuff in for and how much they charge in general.

I know full well when they open the box and see a full TDK suit there will be a WTF is this moment lol.

Cheers

I know a gent I recently sent some stuff to from US (to UK), it was about $400 worth of stuff and it took six days to clear customs. Had to pay some ludicrous amount of VAT (I think it was 60-80£)

I know a gent I recently sent some stuff to from US (to UK), it was about $400 worth of stuff and it took six days to clear customs. Had to pay some ludicrous amount of VAT (I think it was 60-80£)

Hey ewige, thanks for the reply

Hmm I'm new to all this customs stuff! Do you think they bill you on the size of the package!?
If you don't mind me asking, how much was shipping to the uk and is there an insurance option? Obviously don't want anything to happen in the transfer overseas and be able to track the package!

I haven't been stung with customs charges through this community yet. Although I did with a retail purchase from the states. The customs charges were all prepaid by fed-ex or UPS or whoever delivered it, then they sent me an invoice AFTER they'd delivered it. The charges were based on the declared value of the item.

I haven't been stung with customs charges through this community yet. Although I did with a retail purchase from the states. The customs charges were all prepaid by fed-ex or UPS or whoever delivered it, then they sent me an invoice AFTER they'd delivered it. The charges were based on the declared value of the item.

So should I get my supplier to send through Fed Ex OR UPS? This way I know I can track through these guys also!

It maybe a bit more as well but at least it will be safer I think!

I'm presuming you are getting something shipped from the US to the UK. USPS Priority and Express are both good, fully trackable services and cost less than UPS and Fedex. UPS and Fedex are generally quicker (about 3 or 4 days) vs Express (about 5 or 6 days) and Priority ( 7 days or longer).
Customs delay the parcel by a couple of days and then Parcel Force (who take over from USPS when the parcel hits the UK) hold the parcel until the duty is paid.

Yeah it's from US to UK!

Is there insurance etc that can be paid with a USPS?

Just want to make sure it gets over in one piece!

I'm presuming you are getting something shipped from the US to the UK. USPS Priority and Express are both good, fully trackable services and cost less than UPS and Fedex. UPS and Fedex are generally quicker (about 3 or 4 days) vs Express (about 5 or 6 days) and Priority ( 7 days or longer).
Customs delay the parcel by a couple of days and then Parcel Force (who take over from USPS when the parcel hits the UK) hold the parcel until the duty is paid.

I have alot of trade with the USA, and if your supplier/shipper is willing to, ask them to declare that the item (s) they send you are noted as being less than £30 or $50. Anything over this will incur an excess of charge and you will have to pay alot of money to have them. And if customs check the item and open the box, doesn't make a difference as they base their charges on the overall value of the item which are being imported. Also make sure they issue the package as "gift", this helps aswell.
Hope that helps pal!

i have always had my stuff from the usa withing 10 working days - usually on the 8th working day i usually get the letter from royal mail asking for the duty to be paid. once paid they deliver and its at the door on day 10

hit and miss if you get stung - ive had 10 parcels and been stung 6 times

i had a package delivered by fed ex - and i was sent a letter 3 weeks later by fed ex asking for customs duty - it was a fast delivery - within 5 days and i thought id escaped duty with fed ex until i had the letter after :(

i have always had my stuff from the usa withing 10 working days - usually on the 8th working day i usually get the letter from royal mail asking for the duty to be paid. once paid they deliver and its at the door on day 10

hit and miss if you get stung - ive had 10 parcels and been stung 6 times

Is that through USPS mate? Was there insurance on your package?

I have alot of trade with the USA, and if your supplier/shipper is willing to, ask them to declare that the item (s) they send you are noted as being less than £30 or $50. Anything over this will incur an excess of charge and you will have to pay alot of money to have them. And if customs check the item and open the box, doesn't make a difference as they base their charges on the overall value of the item which are being imported. Also make sure they issue the package as "gift", this helps aswell.
Hope that helps pal!

Cheers for the idea, does this not declare that if it goes missing its not going o be worth anything?
I will deffo think about declaring it a gift though!

i had a package delivered by fed ex - and i was sent a letter 3 weeks later by fed ex asking for customs duty - it was a fast delivery - within 5 days and i thought id escaped duty with fed ex until i had the letter after :(

Sorry didn't see this...

So would you advise against fed ex? Was it much more expensive than USPS?

the item from fed ex was the same value as the postage - but i had to have the part and had no choice in the matter.

fed ex, ups etc i find give a letter a few weeks later - theres no escape duty with them i found.

usps is pretty good, item is trackable via there site and when it arrives in the uk parcel farce take over - and the info regarding customs clearance is also displayed - its hit and miss with some items - ive had a large model, a helmet kit, some aliens related items all escaping duty, but as i said been stung on other items.

usps has always been fine for me - just allow 2 weeks or 10 working days to get the stuff - ive no idea on insurance as that was up to the seller and i presume they made sure it was just in case - i always ask for it to be trackable as well.

but its slow moving until day 4 when the info of the parcels movement starts to be displayed, usually by day 6 its in the uk, couple of days in customs and royal mail "may" send you a letter of payment, then 2 to get the parcel once paid

Cool cheers for the info bud!

Will go down this route, cheers to everyone who has taken time to answer my questions!

Roll on mid Jam when the suit is finished, just waiting for the cape to be dispatched from the US do this will also give me an indication!

the item from fed ex was the same value as the postage - but i had to have the part and had no choice in the matter.

fed ex, ups etc i find give a letter a few weeks later - theres no escape duty with them i found.

usps is pretty good, item is trackable via there site and when it arrives in the uk parcel farce take over - and the info regarding customs clearance is also displayed - its hit and miss with some items - ive had a large model, a helmet kit, some aliens related items all escaping duty, but as i said been stung on other items.

usps has always been fine for me - just allow 2 weeks or 10 working days to get the stuff - ive no idea on insurance as that was up to the seller and i presume they made sure it was just in case - i always ask for it to be trackable as well.

but its slow moving until day 4 when the info of the parcels movement starts to be displayed, usually by day 6 its in the uk, couple of days in customs and royal mail "may" send you a letter of payment, then 2 to get the parcel once paid

I've sent out a couple belt buckles and costuming items, and one person I sent to was nipped hard. The item was 125US ( £79ish), the shipping was somewhere around 30, and they got pinged with £39 in VAT. I wouldn't be surprised of others were hit with customs as well, but this one emailed me to inform me they couldn't afford to cover the fees, and the package will be coming back (it was later resolved fortunately)

Thank you Who for the rundown, once i send one out, it pretty much disappears into the ether, and its rare to hear from anyone that they received it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back