Custom Han Solo rig: show off w/pics

FETTCLONE

This is a custom Han Solo style belt and holster I made up because I've wanted one for years. It was also a great way to start learning to work leather, but it is a large project for a beginner so take that with a grain of salt. Everything was custom built by myself, and any questions or comments are welcome. Just wanted to share, and sorry about the flash (hard to strike a balance between night and chrome).

beltfront.JPG

beltside.JPG

holsterside.JPG

beltflat.JPG

The belt was made from a 2" blank, then I added the snaps. I formed the pockets in a plywood jig, then cut them down and sewed them on. The holster was formed in a similar manner, and then I only had to cut, punch, trim, groove, dye, rivet, hand-sew and wax everything all together. :confused Needless to say I took my time with it. The buckles took a while to get right. It wasn't easy finding a way to connect large buckles in three different directions over that small a space. Trial and error all the way, baby. :D In the end I can take it off in about three seconds by undoing one buckle and popping one snap. Easy on, easy off. Some day I'd like to upgrade to accurate belt tools. I know there's no "spare frequency disc", I just didn't have room for it with all the pockets and snaps on the back. Next one, though...

customcaller.JPG

The droid caller was a scratch build as I don't own a real one or resin copy yet. It's steel pipe for weight and durability, with assorted electrical bits added on. At least I know no-one else will have one like it. :p The holder was just a piece of sheet steel cut and bent to shape with enough tension that caller will never fall free of its own accord.

T50.JPG

T50left.JPG

The blaster got its start when I picked up a particular object, looked at it for a second and got the "if I just turn it this way, cut here and remove that part it looks a lot like..." feeling. Bragging rights to the first person to figure it out, but I'll give you two hints for free;

1. I've called it the model T-50. Even says it right on the side, though I don't think it shows in these pictures.
2. It used to "shoot" something in it's previous incarnation, but it's not a replica pistol.

After some creative cutting, shaping and welding on a grip, then adding other misc. parts I had something with a strong look and a nice heft. I made the grip from redheart wood to go with the custom chrome look of the piece, and used the brass bolts to add a little contrasting coloured metal for visual interest. The scope was an air-rifle scope so it actually works when people look through it. This adds a little more reality to it as well. The piece still needs a few things cleaned up, but overall I'm quite pleased with the look of it. Some day I hope to obtain a Denix mauser to see how the holster fits (and so I can make a "real" Han Solo blaster for myself).

So gang, what do you think?

Thanks once again to WC for hosting pics.

The blaster is made out of a staple gun. I didn't need the hints ;)

That is quite an impressive rig. Bravo sir. Well done. I would never had thought this was your first leather project if you hadn't stated so. It looks fantastic. Wear it proudly.

PEE YEW, that reeks like a heaping pile of.....
Roses :lol

Really dude, that is sweet.

David.

And the winner is...
Originally posted by RedTwoX@Jan 26 2006, 05:53 AM
The blaster is made out of a staple gun.  I didn't need the hints  ;)
(Bragging rights handed over with a big shiny certificate) Congratulations, sir (and on your recent APH-6).

DarthMawr was the runner-up.

Since it's relatively difficult to come across mauser replicas here in Canada I've been looking for substitutes. One day I came across a broken staplegun and it just hit me. Of course you need a few metalworking tools and skills to make it go, but the base staplegun is pretty easy to find. The guts are interesting enough to use as the hammer and the front plate as well.

If I ever get tired of the chrome finish a darker blaster is only some primer and a spraycan of black away... or I can just use my repainted Kenner, which also fits and looks good from a distance.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. As far as doing a run of belts goes I can say that at some time not too far in the future I may make a few for sale. Please bear in mind that I would need to get a mauser replica in order to ensure they fit in the holster... perhaps someone might be willing to ship one to me at cost if they had one lying around? Anyway I would have a very firm personal policy of not selling anything until it exists in hand with pics to prove it. That way people know what they're getting and I don't fall behind in delivery. The buckles are currently a mild steel, so I might need to take a look at that too, in terms of wear/ rust, etc. Clearcoat or wax might make it a non-issue though. Blah, blah, blah. (In short, give it a little while and see what happens.)

Thanks for all the comps, fellows. :$

Originally posted by Got Maul@Jan 26 2006, 01:35 PM
um, please don't tell me that's an ASI 4x20 scope...
[snapback]1168609[/snapback]​

Okay, I won't. But seriously, I think it was a cheap Tasco scope that I bought at WalMart a while back. I just thought it looked really close to what I remembered the scope being. It also looked like a good fit for the EE-3 build-up I was starting at the time (it's at a bit of a standstill right now, but so are lots of things I'm working on right now). Now I'll need a couple more to finish things up. :lol

Kaylee, if this is your first time don't forget to leave space between the form and the surrounding wood (if you're a veteran leatherworker feel free to disregard, no offense intended). If you don't the leather has nowhere to go, and you'll get scratches and/or tearing on the top hide. It worked really well for me, just wet the veg-tanned leather, placed it, screwed down the covering wood and left it overnight. The corners of the form may get a little soft under pressure if you use softwood, but this also gives a nice round edge. No luck necessary.

A fantastic holster.. Solo's has to be the most difficult for even the seasoned leather master and for your first try you did an outstanding job :thumbsup I'm certain your "next one" will be dead on ;)

The gun is a great idea and must have took alot of work in itself to cut up.

Kudos on a great rig :D

Steve

VERY nice work. Well done.

Even if you decided not to sell complete belts, I'm sure you would infd a LOT of people interested in purchasing just the completed buckles from you. What are they made of?

Wayne

The buckles are made of 1/8" mild steel: extra durable and adds a nice weight to the belt alone. The shine is from using a 220-grit flapwheel on a hand-grinder. Oh yeah, I made them (the buckles) reversible so I can change it from ANH to the others at will. Only a few people might hassle you about stitching details. Just unsnap the tab on your blaster while looking them dead in the eye. That'll change the conversation quick... unless they shoot first, of course :lol

I am looking at how one person could make buckle sets, knowing they are the tricky part that keeps people from making their own belts. I'm looking at different materials to see if there's a significant difference in price, ease of manufacture, cost etc. I'm also weighing the benefits of mild steel (affordable and easy to find, but needs upkeep or a wax/clearcoat) versus aluminum (weight, ease of working, oxidation could be a problem). Stainless would be pretty nice, though. Need to find out the cost of a tri-mix gas and a spool gun first. And a place to get stainless sheet. Metal Supermarket, perhaps.

Anyhow, the point of this reply is not to make anyone drool with dreams of their new solo buckles tonight. At this point I'm just looking at things, and weighing the options. No need to put the cart before the horse just yet. :)

When I have a better fix on things I'll let people know, and put up an interest thread at that time. Until then feel free to ask any questions or share any tips, though.

Nice work PauleySolo. Can't help but remember the feeling when I first strapped the belt on and holstered the blaster. Heh. Don't you just love the stuff we get to build because we want to? :love

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back