Crystal Shard Replica Cast From Original?

D3adrock

I was just doing some casual ebay browsing when I came across a replica of the crystal shard from The Dark Crystal. It claims that it was cast off an original and is made in the same material. Anybody got any info about these?
s-l1600.jpgShard-Box-Back.jpgs-l500-2.jpgs-l500-1.jpg

Well, I bought it, I already have one of relic makers which is fantastic. We will see how this one compares. If it's worse at least it has a return period on it.

Is it crystal or resin?
No idea, it only says "Original Material" so we will see. To be honest I don't have high hopes.

- - - Updated - - -

I forget the background on those... But I know the person who sells them was a member here who got banned.
Member "DarkCrystal" right? I wanted to look up some more info buy I couldn't find any info, any idea how I could find out? I have a feeling like theres an interesting sorry concerning these but I don't know what it is.

I thought about getting it myself, but couldn't afford it at the moment. I'm curious what the side profile looks like. The facets photograph fairly well, so I wonder how the ones I have compare to it.

Yes, I just got one of his recently. I do have another one that I got ages ago from eBay, but I don't think it was like this one. At least it didn't come in a box like that...
you should post pics comparing it with relicmakers so that everyone knows all three versions that exist!

Is the purple ebay one glass?

I'm not sure. It's been so long I don't remember what the auction said it was... That or crystal. It feels the same as Relicmaker's at any rate. :)
If that original is resin, I'd like to know if those internal fractures are from the resin curing or if something was embedded. Either way, it sure is nice.

Just got the ebay shard from made by "Elfra Haad" (perhaps it's an anagram). It is made of resin and it feels like something that would have been on the set of something made by Jim Henson. Here are some comparison pics I took with relic makers real crystal, shard. The yellowish color looks about right when comparing it to the supposed original prop. Relic makers does have a beautiful quality to it, it Sparkles in the light and has such sharp facets. However it's difficult to be certain of anything since it appears that the same person that owns the original is the one who is making the replicas. To anyone who has the ability to do comparisons with reference pics via computer please let us know what you think is more accurate.
Anyways here are the pics. Left is Elfra Haad's and right is Relic Makers. I took the pics under both natural and artificial lights.
Image 6.jpgImage 4.jpgImage 10.jpgImage 5.jpgImage 7.jpgImage 8.jpgImage 9.jpg
Here are some reference pics from the movie, if anyone add pics or compare them to the pics above please be my guest.
Glowing_crystal.JPGs-l1600-1.jpg

Another thing I might suppose happened is that the one that he says is the original is actually the one on the left which looks very similar to the true shard in the middle, but thats just another possibility.
If anyone has any info on the member that was selling these and maybe why he was banned it would be a huge step to unraveling this mystery and determining the real story of this shard.
Just looking at the pictures and comparing both to the screen caps, i must say that Elfra Haad's does appear to if not be cast from the original at least be very close judging from the angle of the facets.

P.S. If it sounds like i'm bashing anyones shards (no pun) i'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out which one is the most accurate and what the truth is behind this mystery Elfra Haad shard.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back