Crystal Shard Replica Cast From Original?

Just got the ebay shard from made by "Elfra Haad" (perhaps it's an anagram). It is made of resin and it feels like something that would have been on the set of something made by Jim Henson. Here are some comparison pics I took with relic makers real crystal, shard. The yellowish color looks about right when comparing it to the supposed original prop. Relic makers does have a beautiful quality to it, it Sparkles in the light and has such sharp facets. However it's difficult to be certain of anything since it appears that the same person that owns the original is the one who is making the replicas. To anyone who has the ability to do comparisons with reference pics via computer please let us know what you think is more accurate.
Anyways here are the pics. Left is Elfra Haad's and right is Relic Makers. I took the pics under both natural and artificial lights.
View attachment 578332View attachment 578331View attachment 578333View attachment 578334View attachment 578335View attachment 578336View attachment 578337
Here are some reference pics from the movie, if anyone add pics or compare them to the pics above please be my guest.
View attachment 578338View attachment 578339

Another thing I might suppose happened is that the one that he says is the original is actually the one on the left which looks very similar to the true shard in the middle, but thats just another possibility.
If anyone has any info on the member that was selling these and maybe why he was banned it would be a huge step to unraveling this mystery and determining the real story of this shard.
Just looking at the pictures and comparing both to the screen caps, i must say that Elfra Haad's does appear to if not be cast from the original at least be very close judging from the angle of the facets.

P.S. If it sounds like i'm bashing anyones shards (no pun) i'm sorry, I'm just trying to figure out which one is the most accurate and what the truth is behind this mystery Elfra Haad shard.

Great photos! I must say the resin one looks pretty darn good.
I might even say.....
image.jpeg
It is Mystic approved ;)

WTF is going on with photos? All photos I post end up rotating :behave

Thanks. Sweet mystic head! To me it seems very accurate, but there is too much mystery surrounding it for my liking.

I couldn't find any info on the banned member but I do believe he owned quite a few real props from the film.

Thanks on the Mystic head... But sadly I am letting it go.

I remember a fairly heated thread in which he was ripping on the Relicmaker crystal, so it may have been one of the factors leading to being banned...

Pretty sure the thread was nuked a long time ago. I looked and couldn't find anything left over from it.

Thanks. Sweet mystic head! To me it seems very accurate, but there is too much mystery surrounding it for my liking.
Aw man, that's too bad about the mystic. Would've been cool if you got the rest of the body and made a full scale one.

Is it just me or is there a striking similarity between the mystic and Obi-wan and the Gelfiling and Luke? Just to A New Hope in general, I guess the proton torpedo would be the closest thing to the shard.

Aw man, that's too bad about the mystic. Would've been cool if you got the rest of the body and made a full scale one.

Is it just me or is there a striking similarity between the mystic and Obi-wan and the Gelfiling and Luke? Just to A New Hope in general, I guess the proton torpedo would be the closest thing to the shard.

I wouldn't have had space for a full sized Mystic. My wife never liked the head just laying about so I decided to let it go and find another prop. :)

I wouldn't have had space for a full sized Mystic. My wife never liked the head just laying about so I decided to let it go and find another prop. :)
Well, you had space for the wife, choices choices choices.

Just kidding.

I can sympathize with not wanting disembodied heads floating about.

Wish we could figure out more about these, there are a few in eBay still and I'd be willing to do a small run of pressure cast resin ones if it's a screen cast and not someone's original sculpt and not stepping on anyone's toes.

Cant quite figure out how to get that cracked texture inside the crystal though.

Wish we could figure out more about these, there are a few in eBay still and I'd be willing to do a small run of pressure cast resin ones if it's a screen cast and not someone's original sculpt and not stepping on anyone's toes.

Cant quite figure out how to get that cracked texture inside the crystal though.

If you wanted a visible crack inside, you might have to cast one part in the mold, let that cure but don't disturb the seal, then coat part of the surface of cured part with a release agent so when you top up the mold, it can't bond 100%. You would want to use a spray on.

I watched the DVD this morning and in the closeup shot it almost looks like it could have cut up thin pieces of glass or cellophane cast inside it that look like cracks, hard to tell.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back