Covid19 and lockdown - Lets build a prop together! It's group build time!!!

Skyler101

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Had a bit of a brainwave idea and wanted to see if we can make this happen.

As the world is in lockdown, people are afraid of going stir crazy. I know I am. I have been thinking about what I can down with my downtime when not working at home and I would love to build an RPF project.... with all of you.

So here is the idea.

Let's all discuss and agree to build a prop. Lets design and use 3D printers to make all the parts, then meet online using Zoom to assemble the prop together, sharing tips and trick.

I know not everyone has access to 3D printers, so maybe we can have some lead time to make some extra batches of parts and get them to members who might be local.

I think this would be a great way to share techniques, build something cool and keep in touch during this challenging time.

Let me know if your down to be a part of the project. Also, throw out what kind of prop you think the first virtual group build should be?

Let's make this happen and support our crazy hobby :)

-Skyler101

Last edited:
Not really sure what that would be.....you're looking for something to inspire people, instead of depress them like the rest of the world news?

Not really sure what that would be.....you're looking for something to inspire people, instead of depress them like the rest of the world news?

I really am not sure how to take your reply and I really want to understand it. :)
I know that the written word looses its unspoken communication, so please let me understand your statement.

What I am suggesting is that we all agree to build something, set up a way so we all have the same parts, and do a virtual group build.
How is that depressing?

I think it's a great idea! I would love to get in on this but I won't be home until June it looks like, but I really want to see where this goes! Goodluck!

Interesting idea, would like to be involved! Don't have any ideas off the top of my head right now though...

What I am suggesting is that we all agree to build something, set up a way so we all have the same parts, and do a virtual group build.
How is that depressing?

I said INSTEAD of depressing them like the news does. I said you wanted a project to INSPIRE people.

In the month of December we will once again have the ability to visually witness the story of Dune. I would suggest we do some prop item sets from the original, or the newer series (frank Herberts& Children of), before this years hits theaters.

LETS BUILD A FULL SIZED SANDWORM!!!! Got a little excited there....

LETS BUILD A FULL SIZED SANDWORM!!!! Got a little excited there....

Might have to organise the first VGB on a little bit of a smaller scale LOL
We should take into account how long it would be to print the parts, and build them in the online group build.

But... that said...

How about a weirding module or Freemen Sandworm knife?

-Skyler101

I have a weirding but Ive always wanted one of these -
d0a014f0969d6fe6340a495dc6422331--dune.jpg

On a side note, we haven't had a build competition in awhile. Ive seen blaster, saber and thats about it. I always though a scifi helmet competition would be a fun one.

At this stage, it would probably be easier for an original paper prop build, that people could all help design a page or so, share, print out, and assemble, age to whichever person's preference etc. Handbook to the apocalypse or something hahah

I think it’s a great idea, however, I’m sure any RPF member worth his (or her) salt has a pile of unfinished projects sitting on their workbench. :p Personally, (and I went out and counted yesterday) I currently have 14 projects I need to finish. My point is, I’m using this time to finish my projects. If I were completely caught up, I’d be all over this.

Okay, maybe something simple ? I remember people do the origami thing, and make tons of CRANES with origami.

Can you think of an idea that needs simple design to make the STL and everyone that supports your idea can print and display their printed item ?

What is a simple "symbol of HOPE" that we could make a design of for everyone to print the same design?

I think it’s a great idea, however, I’m sure any RPF member worth his (or her) salt has a pile of unfinished projects sitting on their workbench. :p Personally, (and I went out and counted yesterday) I currently have 14 projects I need to finish. My point is, I’m using this time to finish my projects. If I were completely caught up, I’d be all over this.
ahah, you counted? I have an excell file with colors for wip and finished and a caculation of percent done. I don't allow myself to start a new project if I'm not over 50% done :lol:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back