Could be meeting Stan Lee right now...

Crowbot

Stan Lee is at the Pittsburgh Comic Con this weekend. My wife and I were going to get the 2-day pass, and go Friday to meet Peter Mayhew, then today to meet Stan Lee. We left work early, and she got to the Monroeville Convention Center first. She had a feeling that something was wrong, and found out Mayhew had cancelled. No Chewbacca. We decided to just go today, instead. (We were taking a friend out for her birthday Friday after the con anyway, and it made us less rushed.)
Lucy (Wife) was looking at the Con's website, and found out that the Stan Lee meet was an additional $40, on top of the $20 admission fee. He will not sign anything but the photo taken by their photographer at the event. There is no guarantee that your photo will be printed in time for him to sign it.
I'm not a con-attendee. I was wondering if this is normal for cons, because it seems kinda -silly- to me to pay 40 bucks on the chance that MAYBE you can get a celeb to sign a photo. I understand that guys like Stan Lee are such HUGE names that they have to limit the fan access, and they shouldn't have to sign every piece of crap that people bring them, plus this agreement is probably between his agents and the con, not Stan himself, but this seems a bit much to me.
We decided that, although it would be neat to meet Stan, and, frankly, he's getting up there in years and may not be back to Pittsburgh, it just wasn't worth the cost without a guarantee.

That's not right. Every time Stan has been there he's signed items. I got a Iron Man #1 cover signed there last year.

I agree every time I was there when he was he was signing stuff if you managed to get into line early enough. I wonder if his manager or whoever handles bookings is changing things around as that doesn't sound like a policy a con would come up with to bring in business.

That's not true. I was there, and he was signing whatever you handed him. There were vendors everywhere, advertising "Buy this and have Stan Lee sign it". Even at the charity auction last night, the convention organizer was there, suggesting people bid on Marvel art pieces to get signed by Stan.

It was $40 to buy a ticket to stand in line to meet Stan Lee and get something signed. I don't think they were allowing you to take photos with your own camera during that time. The photo opps at that Froggy booth were something else, that you could pay to have a picture of you and Stan, and if it was ready on time, you could take it to the signing.
Nowhere on the convention site does it say that he was only signing those specific photos.
Edited to add: Rereading the site, it looks like the photo opp was included in your $40 ticket. So you'd get an autograph and a photo, but the photo might not be ready on time to be the thing you get signed.

Last edited:
Well, crap. We totally screwed that one up! Thanks for all the responses, and next time I'll make sure we get the correct info ahead of time. Like I said, I've only been to one Comic con, and that was 12 years ago. Live and learn!

40.00 for an autograph is a bit expensive considering most of the people there were doing it for free. I wish i'd had cash in time i'd have seen if someone coulda gotten a few things signed for me by the one artist there.

Hey guys, I posted a link to my photos from the convention in the Entertainment forum. there's a thread about the show(started by Wes, I think). I figured I'd share!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back