Costume making and help

broadinator

Hey guys, i'm new here to the forum after lurking for a few days so i thought i would register and introduce myself. I'm a big science fiction guy who lives in the UK, Westyorkshire area and ive always been interested in getting into costume building... always wanted to create my own 'Wookiee' or 'Predator' costume ;)

Anyway, i have no prior experience on costuming, sculpting and things of that nature. So.. how would i get into the costume making? I could see myself really have a passion for this sort of thing.. is there anyway i could learn how to begin crafting costumes and props? Just after some knowledge.. how did you start out? Where do you suggest i start out? I'm 20 and in college and would be treating this as a hobby.

Please give me knowledge on how i can start out in this wonderfull world of crafting!

Have the upmost respect for you dedicated lot anyway, thank you.

-Edit- What were your first projects? I just need a kick start into this little universe.

I'd start small and work your way up. Get really good at following the advice of other costumers about specific materials and etc. You may even purchase a few "do-it-yourself" parts. For instance, back in 2003, I bought a fiberglass bio (the visor the pred wears). It was just a basic, rough piece. Well done, but it needed to be sanded down and the eye holes were not there. It also needed a paint job and I was determined to have three small lasers I could turn on and off.

You can see it here: Achak's Costume

After a lot of work, I got it to how I envisioned it. There was not a lot of others doing this "yautja thing" at that time. So, I just found what I could.. faux snake skin upholstery, cans of spray paint, hockey armor.

Mainly, this was all done because a "spook trail" my friend and I ran needed something a bit more than your normal store bought props and costumes... and I totally love sci-fi, am an artist, and love creative pursuits.

I plan on redoing the whole suit, keeping the visor, though.

So anyhow, welcome. I'm new here too, and I can't wait to try to make my new predator costume look as good as the rest of these guys.

Seek advice, use advice, and put our own creative spin on it. That's my advice. ;)

What was your first project though in sculpting or whatever? Hrmm.. do you reckon you could make a full movie accurate mask by using this technique? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQRgJex_u8

I think it may be possible, nothing wrong with his head.. apart from the size of it.. and do you think i would be able to use some reusable clay to do that? Oil-based or whatever. He just needs to make it bigger and sizen it really =P

Dude, ask around here for loads of information. This place is a gold mine for such things with the experts on this kind of stuff.

I've created my first costume, happened to be a fire griffin then morphed into cosplaying anime characters. I've made a few good looking costumes up till this senior year in high school. My current project is a female predator at the moment.

I'd say always sketch out your ideas and have patterns; no good messing up the material you just spent money on. Also, if you're new to the material, always take a sample from it and test it. Learned that the hard way. Drawing out your ideas helps you brainstorm and set down your ideas that you could come back to.

Good luck!

i started off by using found objects to make costumes. anything i could find that kinda looked like a piece i wanted and then i would modify it.
my first sculpt was an army of two mask. it was a pretty simple sculpt.

Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum after lurking for a few days so i thought i would register and introduce myself. I'm a big science fiction guy who lives in the UK, Westyorkshire area and Ive always been interested in getting into costume building... always wanted to create my own 'Wookiee' or 'Predator' costume

Anyway, i have no prior experience on costuming, sculpting and things of that nature. So.. how would i get into the costume making? I could see myself really have a passion for this sort of thing.. is there anyway i could learn how to begin crafting costumes and props? Just after some knowledge.. how did you start out? Where do you suggest i start out? I'm 20 and in college and would be treating this as a hobby.

Please give me knowledge on how i can start out in this wonderfully world of crafting!

Have the upmost respect for you dedicated lot anyway, thank you.

-Edit- What were your first projects? I just need a kick start into this little universe.

The best way to get started here is to read as many topics as you can in the different sections but since you are new I would look closely at the Huntorials section. I literally read hundreds of posts on different topics before I even posted. There is no real easy way to describe the amount of building knowledge available here. My first predator project is still ongoing, a custom bio for another member. And, I am also working on my predator suit which I hope to have done by May. Welcome to the lair.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back