Costume Estimation?

DerekG4

Hello everyone, I was wondering roughly how much would a full costume cost? I was thinking about getting a Wolf predator costume but I wanted to know how much I would roughly spend to get one.

I’d like it to be as close to the actual character as possible but I don’t really need too much either, like a spear, whip, or anything.

I’d just like it to have:
The head with the dreads (I’d love if it would be able to have movable mandibles but I’m sure that’s already like another $100)
The helmet with LEDs (I hear lasers are illegal for cosplays, is this true?)
Full body suit
Functional wrist blades (can extend blades, maybe some LEDs for the interface)
Plasma casters (Preferably if they can move a bit)
And pretty much every other detail on its body (neck ring, body netting, armor pieces, skulls, etcetera)

I’m sure all this is already more than $1,300 but I’d just like a rough estimate coming from some people that are knowledgeable with making costumes. If you guys could tell me how much roughly each individual piece in the costume would cost that would be great :)

How long would it take as well? Not really in a rush, just curious.

It's probably more than 5000$ US at this point. <--- Keep this price in mind.

1300$ wouldn't even cover a mask with movable mandibles.

Laser's if pointed at someone could damage their eyes, keep the lasers specifically for photoshoots/photo ops and at the request of the person taking the photo/person who is with you in the photo.
Also be aware that customs may confiscate your suit because it has electronics in it. Especially if it's in a Yautja suit, I mean what does the gauntlet do? (self explanatory)

Functional Wrist Blades ( will probably get confiscated at the convention ) - Convention rules have become rather strict.

It's probably more than 5000$ US at this point. <--- Keep this price in mind.

1300$ wouldn't even cover a mask with movable mandibles.

Laser's if pointed at someone could damage their eyes, keep the lasers specifically for photoshoots/photo ops and at the request of the person taking the photo/person who is with you in the photo.
Also be aware that customs may confiscate your suit because it has electronics in it. Especially if it's in a Yautja suit, I mean what does the gauntlet do? (self explanatory)

Functional Wrist Blades ( will probably get confiscated at the convention ) - Convention rules have become rather strict.

:eek: Holy crap that’s a bit more than double what I could spend. Was hoping I wasn’t gonna spend more than $2,500

How much would a mask cost if it had a fixed, “closed mouth”?

Would the blades be confiscated even if it wasn’t sharpened or made with some other material?

How much would it roughly cost if I were to make it myself?

You are probably going to spend more than 2500$ by the end of the project regardless.
Masks can come at a range of different prices from different sellers/painters these prices vary from 400 dollars - 1100 dollars (custom paint schemes tend to cost extra depending on the painter.

You're going to have to speak to the convention staff about your 'weapon' there has been a prop /weapon/ ban in many conventions. They may tell you to take off the blades and reclaim them at the end of the day.

If you made it yourself... it will probably be over 2500$ once again unless you're following the Mr Incredibles route that could potentially save you some money.
If you plan on sculpting, molding and casting... it's safe to say you will spend over 2500$ working on it.

You are probably going to spend more than 2500$ by the end of the project regardless.
Masks can come at a range of different prices from different sellers/painters these prices vary from 400 dollars - 1100 dollars (custom paint schemes tend to cost extra depending on the painter.

You're going to have to speak to the convention staff about your 'weapon' there has been a prop /weapon/ ban in many conventions. They may tell you to take off the blades and reclaim them at the end of the day.

If you made it yourself... it will probably be over 2500$ once again unless you're following the Mr Incredibles route that could potentially save you some money.
If you plan on sculpting, molding and casting... it's safe to say you will spend over 2500$ working on it.

I would have to agree with Wreav. If you can build it yourself for $2500.00 your well ahead of the game. I stop counting on my wolf build, but if this is a hobby you like and want it to be movie accurate expect to spend more.

I also agree with Wreav and Vebo1. I do not know how much I invested in my predator costume but like wreav said ... if you really want a movie accurate costume you need to spend a lot of time and learn a few techniques. :D

Looks like I’m gonna have to save a lot more than I thought :unsure:

What’s generally the hardest part of the costume to make? I was thinking of buying just a mask and a helmet and make the rest

Looks like I’m gonna have to save a lot more than I thought :unsure:

What’s generally the hardest part of the costume to make? I was thinking of buying just a mask and a helmet and make the rest

I would definitely say the hardest to do is the full body with the latex armor pieces.... the head is kind of easy ...i would say medium difficulty

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back