CONVERTING JANGO'S SLAVE 1 TO BOBA'S FineMolds 1/72

Jaitea

Master Member
I bought a couple of Jango Fett Slave 1's at a ridiculously low price on ebay a few years ago, my plan was to paint one of them as Boba's.....I soon discovered that the 2 ships had slight differences besides the paintwork.....mainly the cockpit.

2boxes.jpg

L: Boba R: Jango

2ships.jpg

The two main modifications I made were to fill in the open slots on the shoulders & scratch new details on one side of the ship.

2ships3.jpg

The filling in of the shoulder slots were done by pulling tight thin PVC electrical tape over the slots on the exterior side,....then filling in the gap by pasting model filler on the inside of the shoulders:

insidebz.jpg

The tape was carefully removed after a few days, naturally there was sinking of the filler but that was re-filled, being very careful not to destroy any panel lines.

The filled area was sanded smooth, again paying attention to the fine details by the manufacturer.

When I was happy that the filled area was polished to a surface similar to the rest of the model I used tape to plan out where to scribe new panel lines. I used tape that I bought for The Falcon, it's a flexible PVC tape but it's magnetic....so it's thicker than most & very flexible, so it will follow a curve.

I scribed the lines with a scalpel blade (I need to refine the lines I've done...still looks a bit rough)

This is an image of the FM Boba Slave 1 kit with its side details,.....(don't know who made this model.....beautiful paint job)

dscf002114.jpg

My scratched details were made of card & bits of kits:

sidedetails.jpg

One part of the scratched part is made out of the material used on 3D posters (donated by my teenage son)

3dposter.jpg

The grooves adds fine detail

I spotted a wee diffrence in some reference photos of the studio model and the FineMolds kit(s) of Slave 1:

OriginalSlave1.jpg

Around the cockpit there is a gap where the FM has moulded solid:
I cut away the piece

newbitboba.jpg

Dry fit:

BesideJango.jpg

dryfitBoba.jpg

I remade new details for behind this part

TopSlave.jpg

newbits3.jpg

newbits.jpg

front.jpg

newbits2.jpg

Thats where I'm at at the minute,.....still some panel lines to fix etc......moving on to the scratch cockpit

Thanks for looking

John

Thanks very much guys,.....been trying to get as much done before getting int another really busy period @ work

Anyway heres some of the modifications of the cockpit:

testfitinside3.jpg

testfitinside1.jpg

testfitinside2.jpg

testfit.jpg

After the cockpit, that should be all modifications done,....straight build after that

Thanks for looking
John

Will be soon HH, funny had box open a couple of days ago....I'm usually very strict with my builds, not straying on to too many at a time, but I've slipped to the dark-side,....far too many plates spinning at the minute!!!

I'm sort of mainly focussing on the MPC Vaders TIE,....and I'm excited with what (I think) I can do with it,....I had a look on Ebay and bought another one,...for £1.91...bargain

J

Great thread!

Working on my own Slave at the moment and learning a lot about airbrushing, lighting an converting while it goes. Like what you did with panel. Amazing skills you have on that kind of things. been watching your MF build too) .
Did my first conversion on this one with the pistons on the wings. Saw some other differences on the wings as well while painting. So that will be for another build if i ever manage to get hold of another.

This is still an ongoing project?

Thanks Knieval,....yep it's still ongoing,.....really not that much to do until paint,....going to have to spend some time on it........your Slave 1 is a great motivator & no doubt I'll be using as a guide for my dreaded part,....the painting

John

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back