"CONDORMAN" Wings?!

I've never actually watched this movie, but the trailer for it was in front of all the Herbie movies I watched religiously as a kid, and I'm feeling nostalgic just looking at this! I really hope I get a chance to see this in person - great work!

-UPDATE-
28 August 2012

The tail and left wing, DONE! But now I’m facing a new problem… the wing, once it opens, it cannot close, due to the weight and the weakness of the lower main support bar that comes from the “arm pit”, due that it’s ALUMINUM. In order to avoid this issue, I have to replace both bars with STEEL bars instead.

Anyway, I want to show you my progress before that with the wings (no “wings-attached” pics, though)… first view of the main frame COMPLETE.

IMAG0145.jpg

The tail. Adding the ribbing (3/4” HIPS plastic strips), using FABRI-TAC (fabric glue).

IMAG0146.jpg

I painted and sew the wing tips, making a quarter of a circle, and making the dividing lines for the wing tips. I may suggest sewing it first to the main wing before painting.

IMAG0147.jpg

Added the ribbing for the wing tips; this time with ¼”, instead of the ¾” HIPS plastic.

IMAG0152.jpg

Time to trim the shapes of the wing tips, once they’re painted.

IMAG0148.jpg

Glued the ribbing to the rest of the wings, of course, there will be some excess strips popping out due to the shape of the wing… and remember to previously sand down and round the edges and make the holes before adding (gluing) the ribbing to the wing fabric,

IMAG0151.jpg

Cut the excess strips about an inch or inch and a half.. and then sand down rounding the edges of the tips,

IMAG0149.jpg

All cutting DONE, ready to reshape the tips and ready for installation.

IMAG0150.jpg

Now, to go to HOME DEPOT and get two STEEL bars to replace the ones I’ve mentioned. More info to come soon…

Fantastic! But tell me... I'm curious to know if the attachment of those plastic strips will inhibit the fabric from folding on itself properly when the wings go to "close". I can't wait to see these work! You should post a video of yourself opening and closing the wings so we can all see how they operate. Keep it up!

-Johnny C

Wow! Im not only amazed by the build itself, its flawless and show you are a very resourceful person DarthVader1, im also amazed by the fact that someone remembers that brilliantly bad movie, I watched it with my brothers back when it premiered, and we always have a very fond memory of the movie, although I admit I havent watched since then...

Anyway, great job!

Fantastic! But tell me... I'm curious to know if the attachment of those plastic strips will inhibit the fabric from folding on itself properly when the wings go to "close". I can't wait to see these work! You should post a video of yourself opening and closing the wings so we can all see how they operate. Keep it up!

-Johnny C
Thanks wonderboy. :cool

@JohnnyC; I've seen in the screen grabs that the main reason I've chosen HIPS plastic against steel strapping bands, not just for safety, but also as flexibility. In the screen grabs I have, I've noticed that the ribbing bends either forward or backwards (it's some physics there, don't ask me), but it works in my version as well. At the mid-point of the wings, there's a section that the ribbing is NOT attached to the frame, making the effect I've just mentioned before.

Well, the full costume is DONE! Sorry I didn't take pics before, but I had to rush it for Dragon*Con, and as I type, I've just finished my wife's "Natalia" white dress/costume.

Something to note before going offline for the weekend... reason is that I've faced a little setback, is that when I've replaced the lower aluminum bar for squared 1/2" steel tubing since when I did the first try of the folding/unfolding effect, the lower bar was bending badly, not allowing the wing to close. Once changed, it worked perfectly, but due to the strength, it was breaking the back board where the new lower bar connects, having to add an aluminum plate in both sides to prevent more damage, and also to support the weight of the main frame.

Again, I will post more pics later when I come back. I will definitely post pics and video of the setbacks I've faced yesterday and today, and the way to solve it... not to mention how to take the wings apart for transporting. There will be more details in the construction in the short weeks after Dragon*Con, since I have other projects ongoing, wish me luck at D*C. :)

Finally, this project is DONE!

I've just came back from Dragon*Con, and I'm happy to say, that the glider survived the weekend after the parade, and that next day I've won BEST MOVIE CHARACTER category at the Dragon*Con Masquerade Costume Contest. While the costume was not perfect due to the rush to finish it up ASAP in the time frame I had... but the effort was worth and PAID for.

Here are the very first pics I have of me in the FULL costume, and the video of the costume contest skit coming soon.

condorman_DCparade_2012_2.JPG

condorman_DC_costume_2.JPG

240380_425795647456741_581568954_o.jpg

Posing with the "Master of Ceremonies", Grant Imahara from "Mythbusters" for the Masquerade (I forgot his name ATM) after winning, and so he did with the rest of the winners,

http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/contests-awards/masquarade-winners/

IMG_0500-600x400.jpg

Even, I did my wife's costume to be "Natalia" to go along with me (sorry for the dark pic, but first and best one I've seen so far),

527156_10151164079380379_1373049852_n.jpg

Last edited:
So totally awesome! Congrats on the award too, handed out by Grant Imahara himself! I love watching his shenanigans on Mythbusters! Great work!

I recognized your costume from flickr and came here to see if it was an RPF'er who made the costume. It is AWESOME. Congrats on the award, you deserve it. And thank you for the build pictures. Seeing the process is half the fun of the forums.

Thanks guys, it was a thrill to say the least, meeting Roy from the FACE OFF series on SyFy as one of the judges (who's from Georgia)... it's just surreal.

Anyway, I'll be posting more details on how I did this project later on (measures, more detailed pics, methods, etc.), once I'm done with a few projects I have to finish first which are time sensitive.

Again, more to come soon. ;)

Thanks tardis55!

Just another pic I've posted on Facebook today, a comparison (coincidentially found) of the original and of me on the Dragon*Con Parade, which I had to do a "reverse view" for it.... and I KNOW... someone else pointed out about the thicker black outlines of the feathers on the wings/glider, which should be at least 1/4", just about the same width as the glider wing tips:

539373_4136232037807_1240554728_n.jpg

Thanks JohnnyC, and the progress has been posted in previous posts.

Ayway, I'll be posting soon in regards of measurements, and more details as soon as I finish a personal project. That will be including measurements and "ingredients" of what is needed to make it happen.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back