Concept Models

PHArchivist

Master Member
This is going to get **** thrown at me.

But...

I DON'T GET IT!

For me anyway, the concept models are just that - concepts; prototypes; (and from the truly pessimistic point of view) half-baked, unrealized (fully) ideas.

And compared to the final filming versions, the concepts look silly.

This is just my opinion though. And I:
1.) Respect that everyone has a different opinion
2.) Respect everyone else's right to their own opinion.

But I can't help to wonder if the recent fascination with the concept models is truly a product of the fact that this community is running out of things to do...

Its the chase we love, really. And for SW, all the really cool **** has already been done, sourced, built, painted, etcetera.

So rather than sit back, say, "OK we're done...", why not turn to concept models so we can continue to indulge.

Am I close to home, or way off base?

A little from column A and a little from column B.

For me, I like the challenge. But in the case of the T-16, it WAS the final model... so when I kit it, it's the best of both worlds, eh?

;)

Concepts probably only look silly because you're used to the final version. Many of them are just as valid as designs. Any one of them could have ended up being just as familiar. I think it's interesting to give some of those designs a chance to exist in three dimensions.

A little from column A and a little from column B.

For me, I like the challenge. But in the case of the T-16, it WAS the final model... so when I kit it, it's the best of both worlds, eh?

;)

Cool, Jason!

Thanks, by the way for being open-minded.

I know you do like the concepts, and this thread (even though my OP shows some emotion) is not meant to ruffle feathers or find fault with one perspective, by any means.

I mean it genuinely when I say I respect other's opinions.

Concepts probably only look silly because you're used to the final version. Many of them are just as valid as designs. Any one of them could have ended up being just as familiar. I think it's interesting to give some of those designs a chance to exist in three dimensions.

Good points... And another thing that throws my is they are either unpainted or unweathered (or both) which clearly contributes the the big difference between the concepts and the finals. To your point, and unaltered concept model design, fully painted and weathered, may fit right in.

In FACT...

Wouldn't it be intriguing to see the Cantwell X painted and weathered like a production model?

I think it's a few things; I think you may be right in your assessment that there are fewer and fewer things to replicate. However, I think it's also that we continually find a way of keeping Star Wars fresh and alive in our hearts and minds.

To many of us older fans, we were just kids when Star Wars was first released. It has become more than a movie, but a link to simpler times and fond memories when movies really could transport us into the fantasy world they portray.

We asked Lorne Peterson after the film was released, when did they (ILM) begin to realize that this film was becoming something extra special. He said that wherever he would go in public he could here people talking. "Star Wars" kept coming up in the multitude of conversations, as he puts it, "blah blah blah blah Star Wars blah blah blah Star Wars blah blah blah Star Wars..."

Well, the talk hasn't stopped after more than 30 years. I think we just want to hold on to the magic.

[Wow! I should be a writer!]

Cool, Jason!

Wouldn't it be intriguing to see the Cantwell X painted and weathered like a production model?

Sounds like you just did a 360 degree turn on the idea :lol, You have to admit Rob to have a concept DS next to your Actual DS would be a great display piece?

And a great way of documenting movie History at the same time.

Another reason for some of the concept stuff is they maybe easier subjects to tackle for some folks as opposed to say a SD or DS. I love the concept designs of the OT and a lot ended up in the PT so they are kinda important in a weird round about way.

I sort of do... I have the off-the-shelf kit, completed, just an arm's length from the big one.

But yeah - 360 - trying to open, and gain different perspectives...

I must say, though (and again - just my opinion) one thing that fascinates me about the big one is how smooth the surface is, yet still conveys SO much detail.

All the warts and bumps on the smaller concept make me uneasy!

I think some of the concept models are very elegant. The X wing, and TIE, both are much more dainty than the finished on screen prop.

Some are downright awful though, i mean, just look at the Sandcrawler, or Landspeeder?

The latter, i just wouldnt want to see done, but the X, Tie, and even the Y wing, yeah, very interesting models, more so, in the case of the Y wing, you can see the embryonic stages of donors parts really being utilised, it even shares some of the same donors, so that i find interesting.

I think they are a Marmite kid of deal though, love or hate, but theres no denying, they are all a spendy chase in kit parts, and thats always part of that thrill, the hunt to recreate something, built wayyyy before A New Hope was on the cutting floor.

lee

I think they are a Marmite kid of deal though, love or hate, but theres no denying, they are all a spendy chase in kit parts, and thats always part of that thrill, the hunt to recreate something, built wayyyy before A New Hope was on the cutting floor.

lee

I was thinking the same thing. I've never intended to build the prototypes but after reading the movie threads that have pics of the Cantwell turnarounds in full detail, it's easy to lose yourself in the thought of hunting down all those parts.

I personally have always liked the Sandcrawler and X-Wing.

Joe

I can only speak for myself, but I will NEVER run out of stuff to build!

My plate looks like this right now... so there's no way I'm running out of stuff to build before I "turn to concept vehicles" out of desperation. I'll turn to them when the whim strikes!

Studio Scale TIE (for client) - temp on hold while I sort the too-long armature and too-short wing star problems out... maybe going to wait for the Efx model to compare values against?

Studio Scale Colonial Movers - lights, vipers, full monty for a client. Waiting on the decal guy for the Viper markings.

Maschinen Krieger lunar base - a 3 foot by 6 foot diorama in 1/20th scale for a client - it's more than halfway finished.

Blade Runner Blimp - waiting on the laser cutter guy to get the armature to begin building. Working on photo etch in the computer, and gondolas in meat space.

1/12th Lola race car converted to "Mad Max" specs, for giggles. Working here and there on the interior as time allows.

1/35th pattern for salt flat racer kit for a friend. No pressure except my own to get it done.

Studio Scale ESB AT-ST - would like to have my personal build done by the Spring

Studio Scale Slave 1 - should be receiving vac-formed body shells shortly!!

Pattern for kitting a Studio Scale T-16 Skyhopper - we're still IDing stuff - closer to being done than not!

Are you talking about these type of models?

994324203_9c66487179.jpg

I think they are great! It's the inspiration that eventually became the final model.
I like seeing pencil and marker concept art more than full, beautiful pristine renders so I always am interested in the more obscure concepts.

The only model kit I've bought was the Correllian Corvette. All the final kits aren't really that interesting.

FB

Concepts are pure art, it's usually an initial design that comes straight from the imagination, before the design is changed for reasons of practicality. That's why they appeal to me anyway.

When it comes to filmmaking (as I assume is also true with every other field such as buildings, cars, toys and whatnot), the head honcho likes to have options. For film, the director talks with the production designer and looks at various conceptions and designs to see what things work and what things don't. And often, they end up changing several things that end up becoming iconic.

For example, Back to the Future. Originally, the time machine began as a fridge, then became a giant tank and the eventually became the DeLorean that has now become iconic for film fans. The first redesign from the fridge to the tank-like chamber was primarily due to Spielberg and company worrying about little kids crawling into them and getting trapped because they saw Marty do it. The change from the chamber to the DeLorean was because of the director came to realize that if you were traveling through time, you'd want something that could be mobile so you can be able to hide it and get the heck out of dodge.

Another example is the character of Zhaan from the TV series Farscape. Originally, Zhaan was designed to be a heavyset male who was name Zen. They ended up changing the character to what we ended up with. Ironically, Ben Browder must have known about the original concept, as he included the original character design in the episode he written called "John Quixote."

A better explanation/example is the following video: Star Wars Episode I: Thousands Of Things Webisode - YouTube

It's the production designer's job to look at these options, see which ones work, then bump it up to the director to see if he thinks it will work. That's why there's things that are concepts. Until the director or the head honcho places his seal of approval on it, the concept provided is only an option. And, as someone pointed out earlier, sometime, certain bits and pieces the head honcho may like that the designer can apply to another concept design.

The same is true for models.

Blade Runner Blimp - waiting on the laser cutter guy to get the armature to begin building. Working on photo etch in the computer, and gondolas in meat space.

MMMM gondolas in meat sauce....

I will say that my take on the concept stuff, for me anyway, is a natural extension of my fascination with the behind the scenes stuff. I don't have any builds in progress, or even any of the kits right now, because like J i have more ideas and projects than i have time at the moment.......

I've always liked the concept models. I likr how they show the thinking process of how the designers were trying to bring some of Lucas' ideas to life. I would like to buld some of them and display them next to the final design. To show the evolution of the ship so-to-speak.

Well , the " hero" ships have been juiced for all their worth over the years . Between posters , toys and T-shirts you see some of the ships endlessly. I enjoy seeing new concepts and designs. I always think it's great to see someone wade into the deep water of creativity and try concepts. I personally like the progression concepts of the AT-AT / scout walkers more than the finals in some cases.

-James

Yeah forgot about the ATST concept art, some of them are just awesome, and would make superb models in there own right.....one even has a very Mak feel to it?
The art of ESB does have some wonderful stages of concepts, some of which, if they made it to screen, would have had just as many fans.

lee

Johnston and McQuarrie sketches I'm quite keen on, for the most part. I pretty much hate the Cantwell models.

As someone who recently finished a build of a concept design I thought I'd chime in. I think a lot of the concept designs are great and there's several more I'd like to build someday. Just because a concept design wasn't chosen for a 'role' in a movie doesn't make it a bad design.

There's a lot of the sketches that are just part of the design brain-storming process and express an idea without yet being fully flushed out. Design can be a very time consuming process and if you were to take each and every idea to final completion you'd never make your deadline.

Some designs just aren't appropriate for the style or look of the world they are being designed for. The concept Raider I did is a good example of that. I think it is a great design but would have been a terrible choice for a Cylon raider. It just doesn't have that feel to it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back