Conan The Barbarian 2011

The one fact I see in the pics is that they are finally showing Conan's battle scars. The books detail that Conan had a scarred body from all the battles he fought. Even the prelude to the first books talks about his scarred brow, and several books talk about him having a scarred face. No matter how good a fighter you are anyone that uses a sword as a way of life will get wounded from time to time.

Jason Momoa is taller than Schwarzeneggar, very fit, and technically weights more. He can also act circles around the Austrian Oak. Like oculus1857 said, after Game of Thrones, I am looking forward to it.

Could not agree more. As said, the books have always have Conan as tall and athletic, as ..."dextrous as a panther" or paraphrased something to that effect!

He's also a great swordsman, if you go back and look at the Arnold the Barbarian films (which I really enjoyed) he swings a sword with a grimace, then cut to the result. Very few actual swordfighting is done.

Jason Momoa as Ronon Dex in Stargate Atlantis was one helluva fighter. Leaping, diving, rolling, smacking bad guys. He will define the role of Conan like no other.

He is by far as close to Conan from the books as we can get.

Glad to have the opinions expressed and put out there. I, like everyone else here on these boards, am hoping for this movie to be EPIC! Only a few more days to find out.

?Wardrobe Question?

The red cloak/fabric/kama Conan is wearing is this photo. What material is this? Anyone know or what to guess? I've been thinking this might be a sleeveless robe he peels back to allow him to be more agile while fighting.

I'm still unsure how this is layered, but I have some ideas. I'll have to come up with something close to this for Dragon Con. Watched the Red Band clip of the movie with him as a boy. Yeah so excited about this it's not even funny!

Id search renfairs for fabric options... The red looks like a rough slub silk (which isnt shiny in anyway, its rough and matt textured..but soft like silk. It could also be a broadcloth or thin wool. Cant really see from the size of the pics.

Either way, natural fabrics all the way. You can rough them up, dye them with blotchy dye to get that worn in look and they will look correct on camera too!

I cant wait for this film...the more i see of it, the more im convinced Momoa is perfect as Conan.

As for Momoa's dexterity, he showed it off quite well in "Game of Thrones" -

‪Game of Thrones - Khal Drogo fight‬‏ - YouTube

NSFW due to language (in captions) and a bit of extreme gore.

While this is EPIC AWESOME, even I dare same how AWESOMESAUCE is extracted, I need everyone focused a bit on the costume break down. By CROM Back to work people!!!

Id search renfairs for fabric options... The red looks like a rough slub silk (which isnt shiny in anyway, its rough and matt textured..but soft like silk. It could also be a broadcloth or thin wool. Cant really see from the size of the pics.

Either way, natural fabrics all the way. You can rough them up, dye them with blotchy dye to get that worn in look and they will look correct on camera too!

I cant wait for this film...the more i see of it, the more im convinced Momoa is perfect as Conan.

Thank you once again for your help. I have another fellow Spartan will to join in on the fight for an awesome Barbarian and we will see how that comes together in 30 days or so.

Indeed Jason Momoa will rule. I only wish he was at Dragon Con this year. Here is to next year and another Conan movie more EPIC than this one.

Reference links

Sword shots thread
http://www.therpf.com/f45/2011-conan-barbarian-screen-used-movie-props-118692/

I'll second this. Looks like it could be silk noil, but the weight seems heavier. A rough wool perhaps? High res close-ups would be helpful. I can identify most fabrics pretty accurately with enough photo detail.

I'm also on board with those looking forward to this. Ever since I read that Momoa landed the role... I loved the first Conan film (Destroyer should have been burned before it hit the screens), but mostly for the ensemble cast, the cinematography and the soundtrack (especially the soundtrack). Arnold, as in most things he attempts to act in, was definitely not the highlight of the film.

I actually wasn't going to see this movie, but those clips convinced me that it might end up being my favorite film this year. Goin' to the movies on friday. :D

This film should have some sweet costuming options. I'm looking forward to seeing the look of the badguys.

Saw the movie last night. While I loved the action, and there was plenty of it, the cinematics and transitions did suck. Still enjoyable with a good group of people for sure.

Back to work on my Barbarian costume.

Barbarin progress.......a little late. Sorry to rez a probably dead thread, but I am a little late on this one. This costume debuted at Dragon Con 2011. Here is my progress.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back