Conan The Barbarian 1982 film - Atlantean Sword w/ custom display case

jhfagan

Gone but not forgotten.
Hey everyone! Good day!
While my mainstay is with collecting lightsaber replicas, and doing paint ups and conversions of Star Wars helmet replicas, I also worked a childhood dream of mine, by finally acquiring a high quality, authorized replica of Conan's Atlantean sword as seen in the 1982 film built by Windlass Steelcrafts ( I could not track down an Albion version regrettably, but the price tags were kind of ridiculous anyway, where the Windlass' build was really only a bit less than Albion and mainly cosmetic, not structural ) , and building a Conan worthy custom display case for it.
Unfortunately I didn't get TOO many in process shots of the case, but a few in progress.
The case was built out of aged wood planks from local Home Depot, the back glued together and secured with metal braces on the backside.
The sides , top and bottom dovetailed and glued on, and screwed in for extra support.
The support pegs were hard wood hangers glued into two holes drilled in at a slight angle to provide support and prevent the sword from sliding off.
The first shots are the case after construction and with basic paint job of textured bronze fading out to black. but bare wood on the outside.
Next few shots with the applied faux leather covering, held in place with rustic dome tacks.
A close up of the support pegs now wrapped with real leather wrapping, and a shot of the top covering, and a shot of the sword in a basic faux wolf fur wrapping, just for sizing purposes, which is currently in works with getting wrapped together with some more leather wrapping, to try to emulate the basic design Conan had shortly after having acquired the sword in the film.
There are some finishing touches yet to do, but it's coming together.
More later!
20200128_130902.jpg20200128_144136.jpg20200818_161503.jpg20200818_161527.jpg20200818_161545.jpg20200818_161603.jpg20200818_161615.jpg20200818_161624.jpg20200129_223745.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back