[Completed] Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann + Ashtanga Anti-Spiral Mecha cosplays

Dabboy

hello everyone
so this is my 2014 project, following my first armor cosplay of a starcraft ghost in 2013.
here's the link to my starcraft project:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/starcraft-ghost-costume-193215/

so now i've decided to dive into the japanese anime world and pay tribute to my favorite anime of all time: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Tengen-Toppa-Gurren-Lagann_yukiNOABC0.73_2220x3026_195774.jpg

I wanted to build the Chouginga (Super Galaxy) Dai-Guren form seen later in the series.
i've actually stir the idea since last year when i was still building my ghost costume.
i still can't believe i'm so close to achieve this dream.
Here are some pictures for references
ttgl259_zps66f6e1fe.jpg
Y-071_misc_3.jpg

For those who don't know, It's a super powerful form standing over 5000 km tall and piloted by a crew of humans bond by friendship and POWER OF WILL (hence the drills) to protect our world against the Anti-Spirals. I think it just looks the best out of all the other form and no one has posted a costume version of it yet so I'll be first ^^!

so without holding you any longer, here is the illustrated story of its progress =D

So going back to august 2013, right after Otakuthon, I started building the helmet (most important beginning step! =)
I had the chance to communicate with Ultimatetransfan, a super talented 3d artist who had made a model of the Chouginga form.
Here's his deviantart link:
http://ultimatetransfan.deviantart.com/

He provided me with the 3d file of the head so it made my life so much easier.
Untitled.png

So open into Pepakura Designer, select dimensions, unfold the model, get rid of the pieces you don't need, print, cut and start putting the pieces together and hope it fits! lol
IMG_0565.JPG

November 2013: final result without the face shield and coated with epoxy resin (Smooth-on 101) with fiberglass on the inside. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.
IMG_0858.JPG

Now let's tackle the main course of the project: the body.
I was facing the same challenge as my ghost cosplay. There were no templates to work with. Only pictures. However the action figure from revoltech is pretty accurate to the anime version and served as a good model to work with.
So by january I started working with cardboard and not foam. I wanted to try something new and relatively cheap.

Starting with the torso
IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0939.JPGIMG_0943.JPG

Then added detail and the shoulders
IMG_1028.JPGIMG_1022.JPGIMG_1032.JPG

2 months have past... we're now in march break where I could find the time to work on the costume.
Completed the belt part.
IMG_1114.JPGIMG_1109.JPGIMG_1111.JPG

Arms were also done and the shoulder parts were upgraded.
IMG_1135.JPG

Then I started to work on the legs but could not finish until after the final exams in the end of May
But here they are =D and they are very... large haha just like everything else
I used sheet of carton for the holes which are more flexible than cardboard.
IMG_1287.JPGIMG_1288.JPGIMG_1285.JPG

Finally last week I finished the boots which was built on a platform of insulating 5/8" foam. Slippers are attached to it so I can easily just slide my feet in/out.
IMG_1319.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1316.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Re: Chouginga gurren lagann (super galaxy gurren lagann) mecha costume

So Are we done? well of course not!! The most important item which gives Chouginga its mightiness... THE SHOULDER DRILLS
I used carton to make the base and reinforced the shape with those orange cone you buy at the dollar store for setting soccer goals. This will also be very important for the electronic part to spin the drills ;)
Then used fibonacci theory to make the spiral around it (used EVA foam).
IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1325.JPGIMG_1326.JPG

I've had to refresh some physics law and calculate the right torque of my drill in order to select a suitable motor.
I bought a mini metal gearmotor with a stall torque 70oz.in ~ 5kg.cm and 100 RPM without load. The drill spins well but slowly. I'm considering buying a stronger one with torque 80 oz.in and 210 RPM.
Will post more on how I planned to attach the drills to the shoulder parts.

Meanwhile, I have retouched a few many things to resize everything so it would fit nicely on me (problem was everything was pretty large).
No picture of full suit on yet... will wait until I can put my drills on.
Now next step, is coating everything with PVA, resin and filler...and sanding it all... wish me luck!
If you have any tips for me (since it's my first time working with cardboard) please let me hear you master!
So until next time, here's a last picture of the work area =p (i'm very messy)
IMG_1331.JPG

Will keep you updated very soon!

Last edited:

I cannot wait to see the finished product. TTGL is one of my all time favorite animes. I recently did an Enki cosplay for a convention last month. So I will say this to you, sir:

"Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." - Kamina

ohhh my god! this is soooo awesome! i have plans for the arc gurren lagann since i already have my gurren lagann costume last year. . .but this is so awesome! subscribed!

Pretty impressive so far, good job.

Got me subscribed. I love giant mecha builds.

Sorry to have u guys wait...
I've been progressing since last post.
Got sick for a week so things slowed down a bit.
Finished coating the edges and almost done sanding!!
Here's a little video of my spinning shoulder drill.

Hope you guys like it
Meanwhile I have to work on a second cosplay
The ashtanga from the same series
Not so sure how to build all those arms and faces...suggestions are VERY VERY WELCOMED...
Ashtanga.png

I know it's not a lot of content but I promise, once I get close enough to completion I Will bombard u with pictures and videos =D

Last edited by a moderator:

I have not gotten this far into the series, but I am liking what have made so far!

I just finished watching Gurrenn Laagen over the weekend so I can't wait to see what you're final build looks like.

Alright guys time for some UPDATE!
the cosplay is almost done; like i said in the previous post, sanding was done (pretty roughly and rushed) and everything was ready for painting.
I almost finished the painting, only a few details to tweak here and there.
Here are some pictures:
IMG_1338.JPGIMG_1339.JPGIMG_1343.JPGIMG_1383.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

Now here is the result of the painting (used Krylon spray paint for plastic + Duplicolor auto spray paint and hand painted some parts with acrylic)
IMG_1435.JPGIMG_1434.JPGIMG_1426.JPGIMG_1423.JPGIMG_1441.JPG

Also I got a 2x4 acrylic sheet (plexiglass) for 30$ at a plastic warehouse. They were so kind to give me a left-over piece (one full 4x8 sheet is like over 100$)
With this, I cut the faceshield for the torso part. Only need to bend at the right angle and join the two pieces and attach them to the body.

IMG_1407.JPGIMG_1406.JPGIMG_1409.JPG
I thought i had a photo with the masking tape off, but I don't so will post next time. It's suppsoed to be translucent red to let some light diffuse through =)
Last piece of items received from ebay was a giant yellow ripstop waterproof nylon sheet (30' x 5') Can you guess what I used that for? ^^ surprise will be revealed in the final update!

Meanwhile my second cosplay (Ashtanga) has also been started. The faces have been cut off, need to cut off some arms too out of cardbox.
IMG_1388.JPGIMG_1397.JPG
The overall structure has been assembled and I have a relatively complete idea of how to complete it.
I used insulation foam board and coated with newspaper and glue to build the whole shape of this giant "rock"
20091221011049!Antispiralkantai.gifIMG_1405.JPGIMG_1416.JPGIMG_1430.JPG

So far everything is on schedule. Hopefully by august most of the stuff will be completed!
Will keep ya'll updated very soon!
And thanks for following this thread =D

OHH MYY GOOOOODDDD!! The finish product is soooo badass buddy :thumbsup Good luck on the convention too! :)

Update on my Ashtanga cosplay =)
changed to a double sided rack, used lot of newspaper + silk paper and white glue.
cut the pieces in a way that can fit through a door and in the car.
added the tail
painted.
added a "talking" mouth feature and extended arms.
only half the lights to setup to be done. =)
ash2.JPG
ash3.JPG
ash4.JPG
ash6.JPG
ash5.JPG
ashtanga.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann + Ashtanga Anti-Spiral Mecha cosplays

That officially looks CREEPY AS HELL. Awesome job.

Re: Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann + Ashtanga Anti-Spiral Mecha cosplays

The journey has finally come to a destination.
Here are finally some picture of us at Otakuthon 2014.
Hope you guys liked this project. I'll post more videos and photos when I get the files from my photographer.
10612561_10152435156843220_1327271725500355961_n.jpg
10514559_843246155687865_5193004467226329108_n.jpg
10572027_10203695515462835_7243041870465885416_o.jpg

10629660_371332309682003_9190171679924860679_n.jpg

haha yeahh we stirred a bit of attention over there =)
Thanks alot for following this project!
VIDEO TIME!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back