[COMPLETE] Skyrim-Deathbrand (Stalhrim) armor

arborealkey

EDIT: here is the current version of this build, photo by the epic ArtsDream (www.facebook.com/ArtsDream.Photo)
FB IG Skyrim Crop.jpg
Hello everyone !

I originally didn't plan on starting a thread about this armor, but since I took more progress pictures than expected I finally decided to gather all of them in one place (it's a side project for a convention).

After making my glass armor, I'm finally building my favorite set from Skyrim ! Here is said armor (courtesy of Vrogy, here on the RPF)
9291055613_bd1c36b4ab_o.png
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vrogy/9291055613/

I'm making a...slightly different version. I'm going for a more "chiseled" look rather than having roughly cut pieces. I'm not saying it looks better, I just like to add my personal touch. This is (once again), a foam build. I've seen people make this armor out of resin, but I cannot afford it.

NOTE: I use hot glue (I know it's often frowned upon) on foam for multiple reasons... If I screw up and put hot glue were it shouldn't be, I just heat it up with the heat gun and rub it off with my fingers.

This is one of the simplest armors in the game, in terms of shape. The whole thing it's basically layered plates. The only part in need of an "actual" pattern was the helm, and that's what I started with. Most of the time, my patterns are just a modified version of the ones I drafted for older builds. Thus, I used the pattern I made for one of my eldar builds from Warhammer 40K (that's definitely not related to Skyrim...). I altered it a bit (mostly by changing the orientation of the pieces), and that's how I got the top part of my helm. The neck piece was just drawn on paper and cut out of EVA foam.

Here is a terrible picture with my face in it...
20170925_204007.jpg

The base of the helm was done. I then added the Stalhrim parts. It's EVA foam as well, textured with a rotary tool (using one of the cylindrical sanding drums).

20171008_162408.jpg
(That's a leg plate, not the helmet, but it's the only picture I have with the texture in progress...)

The next part were the horns (my very first horns, how exciting...). I made a base out of EVA again, two layers of 12mm puzzle floor mat glued together and roughly sanded to make the edges round. I then added layers of 2mm EVA.

20170926_132400.jpg
The details were made with a woodburning tool (those who followed my previous and current builds know how deeply I love this thing...).

20170926_181304.jpg
Last but not least, the scales...Those were made out of 2mm EVA as well. The IG model has 19 scales per row, but since I screwed my measurements, I could only fit 17.

IMG_20170927_234944_081.jpg
I added some rivets/googly eyes, and the helm was (almost) done (some parts still need adjustment).

View attachment deathbrand_helm.jpg

The rest of pieces all use the same technique. A 10mm foam base, textured with the rotary tool, and 5mm foam edges.

IMG_20171008_183610_920.jpg
So far I made the front part of the chest and the leg plates.

IMG_20171007_210405_906.jpgIMG_20171008_183610_917.jpg

Attachments

• 20170926_132400.jpg
    20170926_132400.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Re: Skyrim-Deathbrand (Stalhrim) armor

Looks good so far! I'm really liking how you did that chiseled texture. Were you just letting the drum touch a little and moving around? You might want to try getting a flexshaft attachment for your Dremel (unless it's not Dremel?). You look like you're doing great just that way, but it's like using a pencil vs. holding a tennis ball can. I almost put "Pringles can", but I have no idea if they sell Pringles chips in France or not!

Looks good so far! I'm really liking how you did that chiseled texture. Were you just letting the drum touch a little and moving around? You might want to try getting a flexshaft attachment for your Dremel (unless it's not Dremel?). You look like you're doing great just that way, but it's like using a pencil vs. holding a tennis ball can. I almost put "Pringles can", but I have no idea if they sell Pringles chips in France or not!
Thanks ! It's not a dremel, but the flexible thing might be adapted to it...I never use it unless I really have to, I hate that thing X)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This is awesome! I love the texture you have formed in the helmet and armor pieces. I am planning on doing the same thing with draugr armor.

cool, armour looks great. nice work
Thanks !

This is awesome! I love the texture you have formed in the helmet and armor pieces. I am planning on doing the same thing with draugr armor.
Thank you ! My texture isn't exactly a hammered one, for a Draugr, one might prefer a round sanding tip ?

I'm also making a Stalhrim battleaxe. So far I made a...pattern (opened a screenshot as a layer in GIMP, re-drew the main lines, printed it to the desired scale).

20171008_214930(1).jpg

Last edited:

be careful a sanding tip might be a bit too aggressive unless is a well worn one, I think most people opt for the stone grinding bit. plus I think once its painted and has highlights and lowlights your probably notice it more, test paint a small piece to see if you get the look you want

be careful a sanding tip might be a bit too aggressive unless is a well worn one, I think most people opt for the stone grinding bit. plus I think once its painted and has highlights and lowlights your probably notice it more, test paint a small piece to see if you get the look you want
It depends on the foam you use I guess. On mine I use the 120 grit sanding drums and it doesn't destroy it. But it's high density EVA.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

thats cool, not tried the high density EVA foam yet looking forward o trying it

That helmet looks insane..... awesome work, details in the armour plates is spot on.... nicely done...

That helmet looks insane..... awesome work, details in the armour plates is spot on.... nicely done...
Thanks ! It's just a side build, so I'm not spending a lot of time on it...I hope it won't disappoint.

My battleaxe is making progress as well. I used the nearest piece of wood as a handle (it has a pretty small diameter, so I'll put yoga mat or something similar on it). The blade is 3cm of foam. I started shaping it with a cutter and finished with the rotary tool. The texture is pretty different from the one IG this time, I wanted it to match my armor.

IMG_20171011_210956_516.jpg
The details in the middle are a mix of 2mm and 5mm EVA (I still have to clean it with the heat gun, to smooth the sanded parts and remove a bit of hot glue).

20171013_220634.jpg
I have minor details to add on the blade, then I'll move to the next part (the handle and the spiky thing on top you can see on my pattern), and add some battle damage. I'll also make the Oghma Infinium, I need it as an accessory on stage.
oghma_infinium.jpg

Update on the battleaxe (should I post this in the Replica Prop section instead of here ?)

I added the hum...ball and spike on top of the blade.
I glued discs of foam together (yeah that totally looks like ****)

20171014_163216.jpg
I sanded the damn thing a bit, heated it up and rolled it between my hands (you know, like when you want to make a ball out of Play Doh)

20171014_164000.jpg
With the cylindrical sanding drum again, I added the concave parts.

20171014_165527.jpg
For the spike on top, I cut two triangles, glued them together, cut the piece until I got a pyramid. The IG spike has hollow parts so I just cut them out with a cutter.

20171014_222452.jpg
I just have something to do about the fact that I didn't glue it straight.

I then moved to the handle ! I started with the stalhrim parts, which are just two rectangles of 5mm foam. I then made the metal thing at the top, in the same way as the foam ball (glued layers of foam together, sanded them, heated them to adjust the shape).
The details were added with 2mm foam. I also made the piece placed between the two stalhrim parts. Once again, I glued pieces of foam, sanded them etc...

20171014_222431 (1).jpg

What's left to do for the prop:
-the rivets on the center part of the blade
-the second half of the handle
-battle damage
-paint

That looks awesome! amazing work on the texturing and that paint looks so good! :D
Thank you ! It's lighter in real life.

My battleaxe is finished as well (I just have to paint it).

20171015_161545.jpg

The red material is yoga mat, it serves as padding for were the (p)leather strips will be. All that's light grey is EVA foam. Some close-ups to show were the seams are...

20171015_184031.jpg
20171015_115109.jpg
20171015_184050.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back