COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Hey all! I've suited up a few more times, worked out a couple small issues I was having with fitment, and attended the prejudging event two days ago. I'm still working on the video, but I'll throw some pictures at you here in the meantime. :D (as requested, some shots of the back!)

IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1163.JPG

Saturday held the SLCC Cosplay Prejudging event. There were dozens of remarkable costumes! Lots of talent coming to the Con this year! Best of luck to everyone! There was even a Wrex that was even bigger than me! So much fun! And a huge thank you to Jason Hsu who was the official Con photographer! Tons of good pictures of everyone!
Having never done this before, I followed the guidelines of the con rules and entered the contest in the Novice category. The judges threw that out pretty quick and told me I'd be competing in the Masters category! As if I wasn't nervous enough already!! But it guarantees me a spot on stage in the final contest so WOOT! Thanks again to all the judges!

IMG_1217.JPG 14188137_659318004225183_1037590589094637234_o.jpg 14095894_659279420895708_3080656368379671609_n.jpg(Photo courtesy of Jason Hsu, SLCC)

Oh and check out the prejudging video taken by the Dapper Deadpool! Seriously some really impressive builds! It's going to be a great show!

Wish me luck as we edge closer to the final contest this coming Saturday @ 7:00 MST at the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday held the SLCC Cosplay Prejudging event. There were dozens of remarkable costumes! Lots of talent coming to the Con this year! Best of luck to everyone! There was even a Wrex that was even bigger than me! So much fun! And a huge thank you to Jason Hsu who was the official Con photographer! Tons of good pictures of everyone!

Heh, it's Garm actually, but I get that a lot. ;)

IMG_20160827_093610.jpg

Seriously though dude, I was telling everyone that if they didn't bump you up to Masters I was walking out! Friggin epic. Also it was awesome being able to actually look someone in the eye lol!

Heh, it's Garm actually, but I get that a lot. ;)

Seriously though dude, I was telling everyone that if they didn't bump you up to Masters I was walking out! Friggin epic. Also it was awesome being able to actually look someone in the eye lol!

Gah! My bad! Sorry, never played the game before! but I'm told I'm really missing out so after this weekend maybe I'll settle down a bit and grab a copy. :) Still tho that thing is incredible! Very nice work!I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

Congrats on being on to Masters...I see that the judges have come to everybody's conclusion: this build/suit is a work of Art with a capital A!

I couldn't wait and had to post some pictures. You killed it, bro. Truly a treat to hear hundreds and hundreds of people cheering for you.

It was fairly quiet while you walked toward the stage, just a couple glowing lights visible, but as soon as you stepped out into the light, the audience blew up. And smart move walking out with the visor up. Having it snap shut to reveal the skull-painted visor... everybody loved it.

Great showing. man. Congrats.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    758.1 KB · Views: 1,532
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 1,305
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 1,256
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 1,228
After following this thread for a year, this was one of best costumes I've seen at con and it was great to see it complete and in person!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! It was a blast this weekend! So much talent in one room is an unreal feeling! Huge kudos to everyone who participated in the contest - I hope to see you all again next year or at other events!

I ended up taking Best in Show at the SLCC contest! Not bad for my first ever attempt! I got some amazing pictures by Mark Loertscher, the professional photographer that was there, and even a few with the judges Svetlana Quindt, Ryan Wells and one other (I'm so sorry I can't remember her name! If anyone knows it please let me know!) Huge shout out and thanks to my posse! Friends and family who acted as my handlers during the event, as well as security! (THX Austin! I owe ya!) And the biggest thanks to my wife who puts up with my hobbies far more than anyone else would!

Photo Sep 01, 7 41 14 PM.jpg Photo Sep 01, 9 55 49 PM.jpg Photo Sep 01, 7 43 57 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 04, 12 01 13 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 01 38 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 01 59 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 01 54 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 04, 12 02 58 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 03 10 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 03 22 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 03 30 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 04, 12 04 14 PM.jpg Photo Sep 04, 12 03 56 PM.jpg File Sep 06, 11 42 14 AM.jpeg Photo Sep 03, 10 34 17 PM.jpg

Oh and here's a quick video for those of you looking for one of me walking around, as well as an official video I show up in for just a second. Check the 1:56 mark. :D I've got a couple more but I'm editing them for the entry to Blizzcon.

Thanks everyone for such a great weekend and event! Here's hoping I can still make it into the last call to Blizzcon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing! I love seeing it move! I'm glad that they recognized how awesome your build really is. Good luck with Blizzcon!

So @#$^%! awesome that it all came together. I'm glad that you got it done in time and congrats on winning! Seriously I think you will take Blizzcon if you go (some of the stuff they have there is epic but no where near the level of detail you have). I've been to the Blizzard campus and they have a Statue of Jim Raynor in the lobby, and your suit looks so freakin close to that. Just awesome man - finally did the suit proud (with the whole different way of addressing the dimensions and usability of the suit).

Way to go :)

-RK

Wow, congrats on winning! Super cool costume and the way the 2 visors are operated is the bomb. As you have said, every suit-up is a learning experience for the wearer and tweaks and details will be changed/improved for your comfort and ultimately, the final look of the suit.

Just watching you walk seems like that suit must be SO heavy.

Haha funny you should say that... That video is after two hours of wearing the suit and I was just trying to make it to an open spot of floor to take it off. The whole thing weighs in at 90 pounds, most of which is supported by my belt but there's still too much supported by too little area of my shoulders which basically means my shoulders fatigue much quicker than I'd like. After about two hours of that I was on the verge of blacking out. That's one of the things I need to work on before the next event.

At 90 lbs you should be able to figure out a way of distributing the load. That's heavy but not too bad if distributed well. Wish you luck ob solving that problem.

I have been watching this thread with utter disbelief since the start. You have accomplished what, to my mind, was impossible. The SC2 Marine armor is a very complex design with a lot of nuanced organic shapes that are incredibly difficult to capture accurately in any medium from pencil to clay. You have managed to do it in foam and in a way that a human actually fits inside it. The latter I have heard many say is also impossible.

I am not being hyperbolic, this truly is astonishing work, every step of the way.

I had a feeling that thing must be hard to move in.
I know the Robocop suit was super heavy and very hard to move in.
Imagine having to film a whole movie in something like that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back