COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Thanks again all! :D

Well, folks, it's all come down to this. I finished all the weathering and clear coated the entire thing with a matte rustoleum. I managed to get all the hoses run as well as the small screws placed everywhere for accents. I also managed to find clips for the front that were the perfect size and just happen to look awfully close to the real thing!

IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1125.JPG IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1129.JPG

In other words, all the final details are in place and it's DONE!!

I took the suit into work on Friday last week and got it all set up on its stand for the first time and let everyone snap some photos of it. I have not, however, put the entire thing on yet in its current state, but hopefully this week I'll have some time to do that and get some glam shots taken and posted. :D In the meantime, here's a few shots people got at my office. Yeah, it's big! Should make quite a splash at SLCC! Keep an eye out Sep. 1-3!

IMG_1127.JPG 81216 011.JPG 81216 012.JPG

Thanks again for everyone here who has supported me and given advice during this long journey! Hope I can meet more RPF'rs at cons in the future! Maybe duke it out with a Space Marine or Master Chief! Or a certain Hydralisk lurking around out there! I'd certainly be tickled pink to meet Adam Savage too! He's been a huge inspiration to me over the years and his latest talks on costuming and cosplay have been incredible! Also Bill Duran of Punished Props, Evil Ted, Svetlana Quindt (who'll be at SLCC so I might actually get to meet her) have all been hugely helpful through the more difficult parts of this build. Huge thanks to them!

Anyway, thanks again all! I'm putting the finishing touches on the gun this week, and hopefully I'll make some progress on the holster as well. More glam suit-up photos and videos to follow! Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
I ... wha... le.... ... Damn don't know what to say. Holy lmsqdkjfmlqsdjfl!!!!!!!!!! IT LOOKS ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!. Even as a statue to put like in your living room... Damn this most be my most favorite cosplay on this board atm.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm lost for words... just gonna enjoy the pictures.... gj Mr Wiggs

edit: any chance for a back picture of the full suit....

Man, this looks like a professional company made this with a huge team working on it. Just insane.
And seeing it so realistically, makes one wonder...why and how does a marine die so easily.....

No progress pics, but I've finished smoothing and painting Raynor's revolver! It's not perfect, lots I'd change, but it'll do for now!

IMG_1135.JPG

And I've started the holster! I collected all the necessary materials and printed a couple buckles to finish it off.

IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1136.JPG

I'm building the body of the holster out of 6mm foam, then wrapping the whole thing with a very leather-like vinyl. Sewing skills would come in handy here.
I wrapped the gun in foil, as with all the other parts up til now, and duct tape. I cut apart the result and made my patterns, then cut the foam to shape, heat formed them and cut out the patterns in the vinyl.

IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1140.JPG

More to come as this progresses!

IT'S DONE!! Like, totally, completely, absolutely and finality! SO! Update on the holster, and I should be suiting up tonight and get a couple videos posted this weekend after the pre-judging event on Saturday morning!

Anyway, here we go.
First, I cut the duct tape pattern apart and made some fabric patterns out of some old material my wife used for something long ago. I sewed them together and fitted the foam pieces inside. I almost considered leaving it at this point....

IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1142.JPG PRETTY!

No I'm joking. Not even a little was that goin to be the final, so I transferred the pattern to my vinyl, cut and sewed and VIOLA! a leather (in appearance) holster! I laid out the tape pattern for the end cap as well.

IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1144.JPG

Using a reference photo of the 1/6th scale model, I found the holster has a base pad that the main holster attaches to, so I traced, cut, and sanded a piece of leftover EVA into the right shape and wrapped it in vinyl as well. Wow the color balance on that photo is messed up.... Next I trimmed and wrapped the rest of the holster vinyl around the edges. Keep in mind, I've never done anything like this before so I m fairly impressed with how it turned out!

IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1148.JPG

I found some scrap 1" elastic laying around and I wrapped even more vinyl around that, sewing it down each side until I had several feet of "leather strapping" Which I then attached to the back of the mounting pad to wrap around the holster when it is in place. A second piece descends from the middle to hold the gun into the holster, and another upper strap was attached to a rectangular eyelet that eventually would attach the strap to the thigh. Woah, somethings up with the color on my phone for some reason...

IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

Next up I hand stitched some cord around the top of the holster and added snaps to hold the upper strap in place and lock the gun in.

IMG_1154.JPG

I built the end cap out of 6mm foam, cut it to shape and painted it along side the 3D printed buckles, then hot glued the cap into the holster.

IMG_1155.JPG

I attached the buckles to the straps (with super glue) and the straps to the pad (with plastic rivets) and the pad to the thigh (again with the rivets) and finally dropped in the holster and gun for good measure.

IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1158.JPG

And there you have it!! The build process is complete! Now I just need to suit up again and get a feel for how hot it'll be in there and how maneuverable the whole thing is. Wish me luck on Saturday! Hoping I can impress the judges enough to make the final cut the the next weekend! Here's who's judging!

IMG_1159.JPG

Suit is gorgeous. Glad you had the time to make the holster. I think it's one of the cooler touches of Jim's armor. It's a fun anachronism. I love it just as a display piece too.

From one Krogan to a fellow giant on that stage, after seeing this in person I can confirm this thing is friggin EPIC dude. Well done once again!

Now who do I have to sacrifice to get access to those finger files you made???? XD

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back