COMPLETE! "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Jim Raynor Armor *PIC HEAVY*

Re: "It's About Time!" Starcraft II Terran Marine CMC Armor WIP *PIC HEAVY*

Not sure if you've seen it or not but cyehra has an interesting sealing technique covered in this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=189175 using pva, a specific brand of resin and a kind of elastic structure paint.

From the videos that she's put up of the result of the coating it seems to give some pretty nice results remaining resilient but also fairly flexible. Planning to give it a try myself sometime soon.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case it was of interest to you as a possibility.

Loving seeing this all coming together.

Looks fantastic. The visor looks so awesome. And I like the detail pics of the internal structure. That is pretty much how I envisioned it would have to be done with the arms. I am curious how that will feel after a few hours.

You've raised the bar so high with that costume! Keep up the great work...visor is the bomb!

That white color scheme with the yellow visor would looks very interesting! I imagine it being kinda like a specialized suit for space exploration and operation in zero-G environments.
kinda like this. ;)
nasa-s-astronaut-s-space-suit-23735115.jpg

Not sure if you've seen it or not but cyehra has an interesting sealing technique covered in this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=189175 using pva, a specific brand of resin and a kind of elastic structure paint.

From the videos that she's put up of the result of the coating it seems to give some pretty nice results remaining resilient but also fairly flexible. Planning to give it a try myself sometime soon.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case it was of interest to you as a possibility.

Loving seeing this all coming together.

Looks like a great solution! Only problem is I can't seem to get ahold of a bottle of the resin stuff for less than $80 for 500ml.... Don't think that's going to work too well for as much surface area as I have to cover.... But my search continues! I've found a couple more promising solutions, I'm hoping to get a sample of each and report back what works.

More weekend progress, torso details including back panel and exhaust fins, I also got the speaker wired up and inset into the hood and microphone placed. It's wired up to a momentary switch that turns the speaker on only when the helmet is closed. There are two ports on the speaker, one for the mic and the other for an aux input. I tried to hook up an mp3 player as well, but it seems the mic port takes priority over the aux, so the audio is barely audible and cuts out with the slightest noise from the mic. I've decided to do away with the sound effects and theme song for now and I'll add another speaker separately if I decide to add them in later. Good night there's a lot of little details on this thing... darn my perfectionism!!!

IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0981.JPG

As always, thanks for the kind words and advice! More on the way!

Hey dude sorry I haven't touched base in a while. The updates are fantastic as usual. Keep um coming. I finally posting some myself. Great work!

Leaps and bounds this past weekend! Added some battle damage to all the components, mainly using a dremel with a small diameter sanding bit. Occasionally I cut into the surface with an Xacto blade as well. I figured this thing will have been in fights with zerg, protoss and enemy terran units, so claw scratches, psy blade strikes and bullet holes would all be scattered around. I didn't want to go overboard, just the extreme hits that could gouge whatever steel alloy the suit is made of. The rest of the little stuff will be taken care of at the painting phase with significant paint scratches and such. Gotta say, this was by far the most nerve-wracking step so far. To put this much work into something only to basically destroy it again really makes you grit your teeth... But the way I look at it is just more details in the parts, subtracting material instead of adding. It's a different route but equally as important to the final result.

IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1008.JPG

I messed around with the upper arms to make suit-up easier. I cut a slit down the inside wall to allow the whole thing to split and wrap around my arm after I'm already wearing the hands. As you can see from the suit-up video, the shoulders and upper arms were already attached to the torso when I donned the thing, which made hooking up the hands tricky. After adding the bungee suspension, that would have been all but impossible. This should solve that issue and make it far easier and quicker to assemble.

IMG_1007.JPG

And finally, at long last.... DRUMROLL! I've begun coating everything!! After extensive research, testing, and chewing nervously on my fingernails, I decided to go straight Plastidip on the surface of the foam. For the time frame I'm working in, the availability of materials and remaining budget, I think this approach will work out best for now. I couldn't avoid cracking with the PVA, 65D and Epsilon would have made everything too brittle I think, and there just wasn't enough time in the day for balloon latex or resin. That being said, after just a couple coats of the plastidip, I'm getting fantastically smooth surface finish on the foam, and it does fairly well to hide any additional seams. I'll have to go over a couple parts a few more times as there are a few pesky seams from early learning stages that are still too prominent for my liking, but I think I can spray them a few more times and they'll go away. Hoping anyway.

IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1010.JPG

So far all the coating you can see in that third picture is how far 6 11oz spray cans of Plastidip can go, 2-3 coats on each part. I've noticed that the PD does contract a little as it dries, so some of the thinner detail foam has lifted around the edges. Nothing a little super glue can't fix! I've got the shoulders, hands and torso left to coat, and a few details on the spine left to construct, but I think I should be ready for paint any day now! The end is near!

Anyone have a favorite type / brand of spray paint they favor? I will be finishing off the details with acrylic paints and my airbrush, but I need to find a good basecoat. I figured out the cracking on my test pieces wasn't the PD, it was the paint I was using... I flexed it more than I think any part of the suit will, but just to be sure I'd like to look into something a bit more durable. Thanks again for the assist! More to come! Hoping to have this close to wrapping up in the next few weeks! Wish me luck!

dude, I told you your seams would be next to invisible! Looking amazing. :)

Rustoleum Universal is a really good paint to use in my experience. It bonds well, it's tough, and while I haven't folded anything 180 degrees with it on, it's been the most flexible spray paint I've used. Also, it's on the expensive side, but you'll get more coverage per can than Plasti Dip, sooo...

The other option you could go with is spray painting, then doing clear Plasti Dip on top. The final layer of plastidip will wrap it and help keep it from cracking as it normally would, but I haven't done a lot of testing on that.

Great work as always. I feel you on the stress of applying battle damage, but yours looks great. Keep it up, man.

Man, even if this was just a display piece it's an unreal monstrosity! Simply amazing looking! Wish I could see it in person! Well done!

Looking incredible. Glad that you've been able to settle on a coating that you're happy with. Not really got much experience with sprays but I hope you find something good.

Hadn't realised that resin I mentioned was so expensive across there. Seems like I've found the equivalent in pricing of plastidip here in the UK.

Your battle damage has turned out really well also. I've always been too terrified to try anything like that. You've got what looks like a great balance to me.

Quick update before I head out of town for a long weekend!
Finished up work on the spine - I added the second layer of fins and the hose connections and of course sealed the whole thing. It matches! And that concludes the components for the suit! Happy day!

IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1020.JPG

Also, finally got the entire torso coated! Big moment for me. :D It's starting to look less like a big foam pile and more like a real thing! Dare I say, perhaps even a movie prop! Woot!

IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1016.JPG

Next up.... PAINT! Oh and I've got to finish up ONE of my guns... Haven't decided for sure if I want to finish the c-14 rifle I've already KIND of started, or scrap that and build the HEV Rifle. Either way my sidearm needs a bit of finishing work as well, and a holster to go with it. Check back for more updates! Coming down to the wire! 51 Days remaining!!

Pro-Job for sure and yes, it at par with a movie costume:cool Eager to see the next update!

Almost there man! Keep it up! Can't wait to see some color on those black n whites!

Hi all! here's a little more progress, but updates probably won't come as often for a while because I'm finally on the painting step! It's quite a daunting task and I'm working thru some weirdness with the process, but I'll keep ya'll informed.

First off, I've added some foam to the back of the fingers for a couple reasons, first to cover the gaps left in the halves of the printed digits, and second because a little extra armor couldn't hurt. Each plate is cut shaped sanded and cemented to each section of the finger, then I plastidipped the top halves of the fingers to seal it all off. When the paint is done I'll add more foam to the inside surfaces of the fingers for padding and grip, but that'll be the last step on the hands.

IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

NOW! Paint! Here we go. So I've got a method that seems to be working for me, and I'm applying it to all the pieces, tho I probably won't be posting pictures of every single piece, but I'll detail out the process as it progresses.

1. First, seal the entire part with a heat gun, this reduces pores and keeps the coatings from soaking in too much. Not a problem except it uses more coating and costs more. Since every part I've built so far was heat formed to begin with, this wasn't a necessary step for me. Next, Plastidip. I used the standard black spray version, 11 oz. cans. I originally bought 12 cans, and only recently with the hands needed to buy one more. 2-3 coats except where seams or defects in the foam surface needed a little extra. Small areas like that were spot treated. helps hide seams further after the caulking. The feet were the first things I built for the suit and the seams were awful, so they were almost impossible to make look better, but maybe I can hide them later.

IMG_1047.JPG

2. Second, prime the entire dipped surface with a good primer, I chose a Rustoleum automotive primer that says it can be wet sanded. I started with grey, covered the whole piece with two light coats, waited a few hours for it to fully dry then re-sprayed with black. Alternating colors helps you keep track of what has been painted and what hasn't. Total of between 4-5 coats.

IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG

3. Third, I went over the "metal" areas with the grey again to make a lighter base for the silver that would go on next, while leaving the "painted" areas black. I also sprayed grey over the damages scattered over the piece to highlight the exposed metal underneath.

IMG_1051.JPG

4. Finally, I sanded the black sections that would eventually be painted black (or dark grey) to provide a nice smooth surface for the finish.

IMG_1054.JPG

I've repeated this method for most of the parts so far, but I've yet to decide on a final color finish yet, so no top coats applied yet.
Also, I tried the mustard masking trick or the chipped paint look, and I found something interesting. Yellow mustard will stain the underlying silver paint! Makes it look kinda gold. Oops! Looks like I'll be trying a different method. Good thing I tested it first! Anyway, more to come! I've still got to find a good metal color, as well as a final top coat color.

IMG_1056.JPG

Toothpaste also works or you can try the rock salt method.

The paint job will make or break your project and I really admire your dedication into making sure that said paint job is top notch. Keep up the great work.

Next step of paint! Everything's been primed and sanded so now for the base coat. I sprayed a few coats of metallic aluminum (silver) as the base metal color. It's a little light in color for what I'm imagining the end result to be but i'm hoping the weathering step will correct that.

IMG_1062.JPG

At this point I just had to stop and laugh because the suit was looking suspiciously familiar... I was half tempted to just leave it and start in on the weathering!

IMG_1070.JPG EAT YOUR HEART OUT, PHASMA!

Next was the tedious task of masking - a job which is still currently under way on the rest of the pieces. Low tack tape so as not to rip the paint off the lower layers, and toothpaste (not the whitening kind) for all the damaged areas. I'll save the lighter damage like scratches and scuffs for the sand paper and dry brushing later on.

IMG_1063.JPG

And the first coat or three of the color. I found a satin black that I thought would work, but I feel like it's too shiny and way too dark, but I can't find a decent flat charcoal-like spray anywhere! Does no one make a dark gray?!? I'll keep going with this for now, hopefully I can weather it enough to make it look old and used.... Tips at this point would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1064.JPG

Now, the reveal! I'm... slightly... underwhelmed to be honest. Looks very cartoony... not liking the black... I'll hit it with some sandpaper and maybe that'll knock it back a peg or two. I'll experiment and keep you posted. I have a feeling the airbrush will get quite a workout in the coming weeks.... On the upside the toothpaste worked great! Kind of gummy to clean up, but not too bad!

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1071.JPG Comparison.........

And I had to drop these here as well... steps in the life of a torso!

IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG

More to come! Can't stop now! GO GO GO! 40 days left!!!!

Dude this is such an incredible build I can't stand it. Every time I look at it I have to hurry back to the garage to get busy. Awesome stuff Dude. Glad to see it is coming to fruition.

Hey MWiggs,

Did you die a little inside every time you "battle-damaged" your suit to make it more worn looking? I know when I was doing mine, ironically, I was afraid if I "damaged it", I'd ruin it.

Looking great! Looking forward to the end result!

Grim

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back