Comfortable Mask?

iowastater

Just got into building my own suit and I got a latex mask the other day already foamed. Mask is uncomfortable to say the least but I realize it will take some trimming of foam to fit right. My question is, how do you breathe in the mask? Do you cut a small hole anywhere or what? Also, since the mask is already foamed, how do I mount a bio? I went and bought magnets the other day before I got the mask. Will I have to bore small holes into the foam and hope I can line up the magnets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pain is beauty. If you want a comfy costume go get yourself a muscle suit and be spider man. wearing full letex sucks ass, the only thing that get me through it......, well im a attention whore. you will have to cut the foam to stick the magnet in the crwon of the head.

Comfortable? what's that? heh, almost all of my halloween suits have been totally uncomfortable. some people do cut a hole to breath better through.
and bodiee is right about the magnets.

Well, just like I thought, comfort won't be attained... Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it will just take some tweaking and trimming to make it a little better. Thanks again.

If you're making your own suit---

You have your choice - design 100 % movie accurate and cover every little detail with latex, or design for long term wear and do some design changes to make it easier to vent some of that heat out of your suit so you can wear it longer.

Try to 'ventilate' a few places where your blood vessels are close to your skin,
head, wrists, hands, ankles feet, groin, underarms, (sometimes inner elbow & back of the knees if you can conceal its not being latexed ).
I split my Mr Incredible suit into 2 pieces. its easier to wear, transport and store as 2 parts. Top and bottoms combine the waist of old shorts to the bottoms so they wear better. That gap will allow for air to gasp through there occasionally and let you get those legs off easier for bathroom breaks - lol

My Rule of Thumb - if people can't see into a spot easily - I don't cover it with latex.
  • I prepare Groin and Underarms of the I suit without full latex. I brush a few rough small spots here and there for texture - but primarily without latex this lets it breath where its badly needed. With all that armor, hanging loincloth fabric you can afford to have a spots that are concealed free of latex so air can push through.
  • places where gauntlets and legging armor are going to cover - I leave that with out latex too. - no need to smother yourself further than you are.
  • Feet - huge boots smothered in latex are HOT - I actually wear sandals and strap the feet bits and armor on top with lots of concealed cracks and gaps all around the base, so that air gets through with every step.
  • Back of the Pred mask/head - Ventilate below dreadlocks covering holes with appropriate colored fabric
  • Neck - pred gorget - I'm making my current one out of thin breathable fabric with strips of Foamie for structural shape.
  • Since I sculpt my own masks - usually with nearly closed mandibles - I leave off the inside of the pred mouth and inner chin - nobody can see in there so why have it - air moves freely between preds teeth.
  • Gloves - cotton gloves with latex on top of the hands - palms airbrushed fabric to let it breathe.

I was able to wear my last costume for a full day no problem - you just have to decide what features are most importat to you and focus on that.

Thanks Cathat. That is great advice. I'll be starting my Mr I suit soon and hadn't thought of leaving certain areas un-latexed.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back