COLONEL J. FIZZIWIGS Steampunk Guns

If by designed you mean recast, cut apart, glued together, and cast again.. Yeah. Designed.

Euphemism for "stole,", with emphasis on "will my target audience fall for it?" (the answer, sadly apparently, is yes. It seems to all be sold out.)

its odd theyd decide to reshape that area above the trigger and the entire grip area when they straight recast the front and top...

Im not sure but i believe that the original capgun is small and has a small grip that fits a child. They could have made it bigger so that it fits a adult.

i actually own two of the fizziwig blasters and quite frankly I love 'em. i do find it interesting though that people have indeed criticized his product, but in essence, most of them are doing the same thing. taking a nerf gun (an idea made by someone else) or some other type of weapon, cutting it up or adding to it to suit their own vision. the smaller versions of Weta as compared with the COD model, say to me snub nose .38 or derringer design, both of which have been around for decades? a mauser handle added to a maverick gun gets criticism too? a revolver handle added to something else? I would definitely go with the "Inspired by" route, but that's just me. I'm not as learned as most others.

i actually own two of the fizziwig blasters and quite frankly I love 'em. i do find it interesting though that people have indeed criticized his product, but in essence, most of them are doing the same thing. taking a nerf gun (an idea made by someone else) or some other type of weapon, cutting it up or adding to it to suit their own vision. the smaller versions of Weta as compared with the COD model, say to me snub nose .38 or derringer design, both of which have been around for decades? a mauser handle added to a maverick gun gets criticism too? a revolver handle added to something else? I would definitely go with the "Inspired by" route, but that's just me. I'm not as learned as most others.

There's always going to be justifiers that don't see the bigger issue. It's not that he chopped these guns for a personal vision, which is something many of us do on a small scale, noncommercial level.

It's that he's using a well-respected (in these parts) licensee's products to piggyback his own success at their expense. He took their product, modified it, and mass-produced his own at a price deeply undercutting theirs.

The Mauser handle, quite honestly, is the least of these. Nobody cares about that, it was just pointed out as yet another identified part. The chafe comes from directly casting parts of Weta's property and having the arrogance to claim it as totally original, not even giving credit where it's due.

I'm not going to tell you that you can't enjoy your guns. I am going to tell you that the foundation on which they came from is very shaky.

Yeah, but remember that you get what you pay for... Because we know they recast stuff, we can guess that they dont have a high standard of quality of their pieces. Im pretty sure that those pieces are nothing more than painted air bubbles from the deeps of recast hell.

They wanna ride on the wave of weta's rayguns, and earn a simple buck. I rather pay double price and get a genuine weta raygun...sadly the one i want is sold out. :(

Stuff quality, even if they're high quality well made pieces they're still recast.

yeah the difference is they are being distributed out to other resellers and marketed as an original product line, not just made for personal use..

I (as a hobby) steampunk Nerf guns. It's fairly inexpensive, especially compared to purchasing a pre-made steampunk item, and I feel it's more in keeping with the idea that these blasters were hand-made crafted creations, not something churned out on an assembly line. Plus, I prefer my creations to be functional as well as decorative, so I ensure that the Nerf firing mechanisms still work properly, and in most cases improve upon them.

The only downside to making your own is buying many different colors of paint. I don't have an airbrush setup, so I use spray cans, mostly of Krylon Fusion. I have over 20 different colors right now in order to make them look realistic. I also go through a fair amount of blue painter's tape.

The easiest models to start from are, if you're interested in making your own, are the Maverick REV-6 (Nerf's best-selling model), the Nightfinder EX-3, or the Buzz Bee Double Shot, all of which are easily available in the US for under $10 each.

Nothing wrong with that, Tohru. You could even ethically repaint and resell, as long as you don't take credit for designing and so forth.

Would love to see you start up a new thread and share pictures of your repaints, in fact. (just not in this one, as it's not really relevant to the issue)

I like steampunk stuff as much as the next guy that likes steampunk stuff, but it was cracking me up to read some of those posts on that forum....for a hillbilly, i'm fairly worldly.....but man...like Harrison Ford said, "You can write this #@&*, but you can't say it".....:lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back