Clue the movie props

I’ve been wanting to recreate the invitation letters and evidence packet along with the weapons and briefcase. Wadsworth reads his letter which, in part at least, says: “It will be to your advantage to be present on this date, because a Mr. Body will bring to an end a certain long-standing, confidential, and painful financial liability. Sincerely, a friend.”

We also know via dialogue from Ms. Scarlet and Mrs. White that the letters contained the address for the mansion and instructions to not use their real names and to refrain from discussing any personal information.

With that knowledge, I’ve surmised that the letters are formatted like this:

“Dear [Redacted],

On [insert date here], a dinner party will be held at the Hill House estate, right off Route 41 in Massachusetts. You are invited as a guest to this event. Your host asks that you use an alias [insert alias of choice here] for the evening and also kindly asks for you to refrain from discussing any personal information with the other guests.

It will be to your advantage to be present on this date, because a Mr. Body will bring to an end a certain long-standing, confidential, and painful financial liability.

Sincerely, a friend.”

Now comes the tricky part. What date does the party take place on? There are a few clues that point to a few possibilities. When Wadsworth walks into the house, the screen displays that the movie is set in 1954. In this same scene, Wadsworth goes to the kitchen to check up on the cook and she is sharpening her knives and watching the TV. The man speaking on the television is Senator Joseph McCarthy. If you listen closely you can hear him say “...professors and teachers who are getting their orders from Moscow...”. After a quick Google search, I found that McCarthy made this statement in a hearing on June 9th, 1954.

“Problem solved, then” you ask? Not exactly. While the TV is broadcasting real footage from that date, there are other bigger details that lead me to believe the party is actually set later in 1954. The film opens with the guests arriving right as a terrible rain and thunderstorm sets in. Also, there is fog when Plum picks up Scarlet. There is also leaves falling and leaves on the ground when Wadsworth arrives. All signs of it being early fall. The guests’ attire supports this theory, with almost all arriving clad in topcoats, hats, scarves, and gloves. I’ve never lived in New England during the summer, but I don’t think heavy coats and scarves are exactly a part of people’s summer wardrobes in the 1950s, even when the sun has gone down. Also, setting a murder mystery during the fall just seems appropriate to me.

With that said, I think the party takes place on an evening in late September or early October. But if you want an exact date, I think going with the date of the McCarthy hearing is perfectly acceptable as well.
Excellent idea!

Worth noting the character's name is "Mr. Boddy" as confirmed in the end credits, just as it was spelled in the original game.

Hi,

I'm looking for a movie accurate dagger as a big Mrs. Peacock fan! I already have a set of The Diamond Prince Candlesticks for my Miss Scarlet collection!

Would the handle be brass or gold plated do you think??

Lee

Hi,

I'm looking for a movie accurate dagger as a big Mrs. Peacock fan! I already have a set of The Diamond Prince Candlesticks for my Miss Scarlet collection!

Would the handle be brass or gold plated do you think??

Lee
Hi, it’s brass if memory serves. You can find replicas on eBay, but a genuine knife is from WW2 and costs a decent amount.
I‘ll look for the actual name and edit this post in a sec

Fairbairn -skyes commando knife.
If you ask me the real deal looks a lot better, but the copy can do!

Hi all! If anyone is still following this thread, are there any thoughts/leads on Miss Scarlett's handbag? With the gun being hard to find and my sister (I've gifted her all the other weapons) not wanting a real gun, I thought that since the gun was in Miss Scarlett's purse in one of the endings that it would be a good alternative.

Wow. I forgot all about the gun files. This gives me a poke to check their status and see where I left off.

Wow. I forgot all about the gun files. This gives me a poke to check their status and see where I left off.

Could definitely use gun files to complete my set. ;)

1660443509334.png

Hey gang! Created an account specifically to post in here. Would anyone know about the doorbell used in the movie? Or any parts of the set itself for that matter? An exact or even just similar door bell would be good but Googling around only results with vaguely similar bells. Ones that don't really look like the movie or are meant for internal use only.

adwDldy.png

eNog84v.png

Hey gang! Created an account specifically to post in here. Would anyone know about the doorbell used in the movie? Or any parts of the set itself for that matter? An exact or even just similar door bell would be good but Googling around only results with vaguely similar bells. Ones that don't really look like the movie or are meant for internal use only.

View attachment 1619283

View attachment 1619284
The outside doorbell hardware was probably part of the actual doorbell of the Pasadena mansion they shot the exteriors at. That mansion (Max Busch House) is unfortunately burned down and gone, and the hardware was probably custom made and cast for the mansion.

For the interior, it was a series of sets on the Paramount lot. I would be willing to bet they salvaged an old bell and the other metal pieces from a yard or maybe an estate sale.

You could have someone carve the two intricate pieces out of something like wax and then make an investment mold and cast it in brass or bronze, but that would probably be extremely expensive. It would probably be best to model the two large cast pieces and then 3D print them. I don't think it would be to hard to find an old, similar looking bell online and a round link chain. The spring could be probably be fabricated from steel. And the outside handle would just be turned on a lathe.

For the interior, it was a series of sets on the Paramount lot. I would be willing to bet they salvaged an old bell and the other metal pieces from a yard or maybe an estate sale.

If it didn't start out as a bell surround, the wood enclosure could have been a telephone nook for a candlestick telephone. Never seen one that ornate, so salvaged from another mansion either way.

If it didn't start out as a bell surround, the wood enclosure could have been a telephone nook for a candlestick telephone. Never seen one that ornate, so salvaged from another mansion either way.
Yeah, I don't think they would spend the time and money handmaking that from scratch. It could also maybe be a type of religious shrine? A place where you'd put a figure or picture?

Love that this thread is still going and new people keep being drawn to it. Yes Clue is that good! Need to get cracking on the rope, have the rest and a good enough gun placeholder. Colour and diameter rope someone? Is it 3/4 inch and an off white. Someone here will know

Too bad the place burned down. It's a shame. But thanks for the ideas guys! I'll see what I can find and who knows, if I end up getting someone to re-make them I'll be sure to come back here and post about it!

View attachment 1731410

I wrestled with this one as far as posting a STL for a gun, but finally decided to do it.
I hope people enjoy completing their weapons collections. Please post some finished pictures of your Gun Weapon.
Grips sold separately on eBay and the like.

CLUE * WEAPON * REVOLVER
Thanks for putting in all that work into making the model, Jintosh! I'll definitely post the finished product once I'm able to get my first printer later this year.

Thanks for putting in all that work into making the model, Jintosh! I'll definitely post the finished product once I'm able to get my first printer later this year.

Okay, I ordered some resin, so I'll probably print and paint this myself. I also ordered the black grips (make sure and get right ones, there are apparently 2 different sets of grip for a 732/733.) I'll probably have mine posted here, before you get your printer up and running.

Okay, I ordered some resin, so I'll probably print and paint this myself. I also ordered the black grips (make sure and get right ones, there are apparently 2 different sets of grip for a 732/733.) I'll probably have mine posted here, before you get your printer up and running.
Good to know, thanks for the info on the grips!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back