Done / Completed Clue: The Movie Edition Board Game

Marc Wagner

EDIT 11/15/21: This run is now CLOSED. All extra copies have been sold. The people who did not respond on the list had their copies sold to others. I've updated the list to reflect the status of everyone's orders.

Order list:
  1. NO RESPONSE Topaz Full game x3
  2. PAID gnglaser Full game x3
  3. PAID commodorekorns Full game x2
  4. PAID LifeCinematic Full game x1
  5. PAID DrBellows Full game x3
  6. PAID SethS Full game x1
  7. PAID ajhix Full game x1
  8. PAID Mr Scarlett Full game x2
  9. PAID guardianmonkey Weapons only x1
  10. PAID Chronos Full game x1
  11. PAID Raiders March Full game x1
  12. PAID Jintosh Full game x1, Cards only x1
  13. PAID Uridium Full game x1
  14. PAID Hawkwind Full game x1
  15. PAID ragstorichesfan Full game x1, Cards only x1
  16. PAID nickytea Full game x1
  17. PAID Inquisitor Peregrinus Full game x1
  18. PAID JohnJNiehaus Full game x1
  19. PAID Ohblee Full game x1, Cards only x1
  20. PAID JMRO88 Full game x2
  21. PAID DoctorBlack Full game x1
  22. PAID Krnlmustrd Full game x1
  23. PAID Ground_Trooper Full game x3
  24. NO RESPONSE mmasura5952 Cards only x2
  25. PAID Jpdesign Full game x1
  26. PAID ZombieBait Full game x1
  27. PAID jaustengirl Full game x1
  28. PAID charmeleon98 Full game x1
  29. PAID NCC1027 Full game x1, Cards only x1
  30. PAID thundergod124 Full game x1
  31. PAID BoredGamer73 Full game x4
  32. PAID Patrick Gomes Full game x1
  33. NO RESPONSE Brent White Full game x1
  34. NO RESPONSE Cyndi Oji-Marchese Full game x1
  35. PAID Sam McGuire Full game x1
  36. PAID bjjensen Full game x1, Cards only x1
  37. PAID lmc3 Full game x1
  38. PAID Pitbull Full game x1
  39. PAID fbsc Full game x1
  40. PAID sparetwin Full game x3
  41. PAID clinthaller Full game x1
  42. PAID aeseven7 Full game x1
  43. PAID Jack Fait Full game x1
  44. PAID Joleiom Full game x1
  45. PAID Daniel Harper Full game x1
  46. PAID Lopez Leandro Full game x1
  47. PAID Josh Hatala Full game x1
I'm now collecting payment so we can have these in hand by the holidays.

I originally started this in the free paper props thread years ago but I've restarted it from scratch and decided to produce the entire game, box and all. Clue is my #1 favorite board game of all time. I have more versions than I can count and some of them I paid far too much to get my hands on... I even have the VCR game editions. The one that I had always hoped for was one based on the movie. I decided it was time to make one.

Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (8).jpg

Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (2).jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (3).jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (4).jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (1).jpg 214253186_4385945958094315_7918102638622531588_n.jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (5).jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (6).jpg Clue The Movie Edition - Imgur (7).jpg

There were some EXCELLENT paintings from this artist:
Movie stuff by MrOrozco on deviantART
He painted them on commission :D
I pulled the individual characters apart to be used as playing pieces.
White.pngPlum.pngMustard.pngPeacock.pngGreen.pngScarlet.pngWadsworth.pngYvette.png

I did the cards in the 1986 version style:

Card back (from the closing credits of the movie):
Back.png

Character cards:
Green.png Mustard.png Peacock.png Plum.png Scarlet.png White.png Wadsworth.png Yvette.png

Weapon cards:
Candlestick.png Knife.png Lead-Pipe.png Gun.png Rope.png Wrench.png

I've also been working on a version of rules where you can add victims to the solution for an added challenge. So you would need to figure out who killed who in which room and with what weapon.
Mr-Boddy.png Telegram-Girl.png The-Cook.png The-Cop.png The-Motorist.png
They have tiles that are placed on the board as you play similar to the weapons:
Victim Tiles.png

For the board, I am recreating the rooms as they looked in the movie but using the layout of the standard 1986 board, with some modifications. I am also including Easter eggs in some of the rooms from the movie. Some are obvious, some will require a magnifying glass ;).
Rooms:
Ball-Room.png Library.png Study.png Conservatory.png Billiard-Room.png Hall.png Dining-Room.png Kitchen.png Lounge.png

Board:
Board.jpg

Box Cover:
Box Cover.jpg

I'm modeling the movie weapons in 3d for printing.
20210620_093856.jpg

Last edited:
This is excellent! Fantastic work so far

I love Clue, it's one of my favourite films. So re-watchable, so quotable; "Flames. Flames? FLAMES.. on.. the side of my face"

This is such a great game, and movie. This is an awesome idea. This looks fantastic!

Will you be adding the secret rooms as notes on the rooms?

This is so awesome!! I'll be following this thread.

I LOVE this idea.

I have a 1950's edition that I got from my Mom. It has a classic look to it. But I might redo the cards with the Movie Actors and weapons and print off a set of cards to go with my vintage game.

I Love your renders. Can I get a copy for my own use ? (or for a small fee?)

Also, the minimum usable detail for steel from Shapeways is 1mm. Things like the threads on the pipe wrench could only be done in "Fine Detail Plastic". (which is cheaper anyway)

If you want metal and keep those high rez detail, you would have to use "High Detail Steel" from i.materialise.com , and maximum size is 45x45x45mm.

Also, high detail steel is one object per file, so all objects would be independently printed and priced.

Last edited:
I Love your renders. Can I get a copy for my own use ? (or for a small fee?)
Sure! I'm still making small adjustments. The lead pipe in the movie wasn't bent so I still need to fix that. I'm considering doing a run of completed games once I'm finished if there's enough interest.
I do have all of the weapons in physical (and full size) form:
485qDDV.jpg
Things like the threads on the pipe wrench could only be done in "Fine Detail Plastic". (which is cheaper anyway)
Yeah I know... I am printing prototypes on my own printer now... we'll see how they turn out.

Last edited:
Jintosh said: Things like the threads on the pipe wrench could only be done in "Fine Detail Plastic". (which is cheaper anyway)

Yeah I know... I am printing prototypes on my own printer now... we'll see how they turn out.

I just verified. Fine detail plastic is 0.1mm detail, and high detail steel (at i.materialise) is ALSO 0.1mm detail. Just way expensive.

This is looking fantastic!
It blows me away that they didn't do a lisenced movie version. What a missed opportunity.
Especially since they released a redesigned version a year after the movie came out. However, the movie didn't perform well at the box office so it does make sense that they wouldn't want to pay all of the licensing and likeness rights fees to the actors in order to make such a version.

Oddly enough, there is a 1987 German version of Cluedo where they used the likenesses of the VCR game actors. This was the only version to do so and it wasn't released anywhere else.
cluedo-parker-983751_H122105_L.jpg

Last edited:
Study is done! This one is full of items from the movie. Only the lounge and conservatory left!
Study.png

I have to say the most difficult part of reproducing the rooms is tracking down the artwork that was used to decorate the sets. Some of the paintings are very difficult to see clearly so I am having to extract them from screen captures and clean them up as best I can. One of the presidential portraits in the study of James Garfield is in color in the movie but all I can find online is a black and white version from the national archives. So I had to partially colorize it myself. Some of the smaller paintings I was able to simply take a screen grab and shrink it down since they are at an angle and small enough not to look blurry. All in all I think it's coming out well. I have only had to substitute two paintings with something visually similar because I simply was not able to get a clean enough screengrab nor was I able to find an image of the actual painting. There is a portrait in the hall which is never shown close enough to identify who the portrait is of so as a little Easter egg I substituted it with a portrait of J Edgar Hoover :p

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back