Clear resin recommendations... artificial eyes

Sevv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi

Im looking for recommendations for what clear resin to use for the construction of artificial eyes?

Ive used:

and

... in the past and whilst both produce lovely shiny wet looking eyeballs the resin itself is still quite soft. You can mark them with finger prints and the tip of your nail.

Looking at companies that make artificial eyes, they seem to use heat cure acrylic resin. Is this something we all can buy? I haven't managed to find any sources. Does anyone know of an alternative that will hold up to some punishment? I realise you wont normally go around poking bust eyes with sticks :) but I would still prefer something I can really polish up.

One other thing. The few artificial eyes ive made in the past, once placed in my WED head sculpts (admittedly in my cold garage this time of year) seem to fog up. I cant believe there is any air trapped inside. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

Thanks

You can mark them with finger prints and the tip of your nail.
Do you polish your finished piece?. Polyester clear resin (the first link) should be sanded (water sandpaper) and polished with a polish paste once cured. This should do for the finger prints (if the resin has been properly measured/mixed). Not sure about the tip of nail issue, that could be it has not cured correctly (too little cathalyst?, too cold room temp?).
seem to fog up
Could be a matter of too much cathalist (not sure of that). But polyester resin could fog or go grey with time specialy if under sunlight.
Also degassing with vacuum pump should help.

I use polyster clear resin and have achieved good results. Careful with the cathalist. If you´re casting bigger batches (200 gr) you should lower the cathalist ratio.
There are other resins like clear epoxy resin o Crystal Clear (Smooth on). Never used the heat cure ones

I do polish them yes. I do think the current temp has a lot to do with it. Recent weeks it hasn't got above 7 degrees in my garage. Less so at night when I normally do my castings.

That's an interesting point about too much catalyst. Thanks I might have over catalyst them, perfectly possible. Ill do another batch and be more careful.

I haven't been using my vac pump. Maybe I should also give that a go. I suppose i'm concerned about potentially selling a few eyes and getting unhappy feedback about how easily damaged they might be.

Thanks

Recent weeks it hasn't got above 7 degrees in my garage. Less so at night when I normally do my castings.
Not saying that is the problem but resins are designed to develop the maximum of properties at 20 degrees Celsius. A bit below or over shouldn´t affect but too much below might paralize or slow down a lot the rection (too much over will give yellowing or even cracking). Try to heat up that garage a little. Could have to do with the indentation with the finger nail. Take in account polyester works out an exothermal reaction, this means the more mass concentration you have the faster it goes (heats up more), the less it will go slower.
Also pick one of the problematic castings and put it in front of heater or similar to see if it improves after a while.
Use the degasing chamber, it will aid to a better casting in general.
I might have over catalyst them
Stick to the manufacturer ratios, if you have problems due to temp you can raise it a little.
The one I use is 1.5% cathalist, 2% in cold winter. As long as the batches are smaller than 200gr, if bigger then you should be able to go down to 0.5%.
I assume you are casting in silicone molds, right?...and no sprays, releases etc. Tell us about the process, maybe there´s something going on there.

Last edited:
Smooth on's epoxycast.
Lots of the clear resins out there are good. Just be sure you use them in low humidity and degass them. Stir gently.

I've been using smooth on crystal clear 202 with amazing results. much clearer than clear dental acrylic.

I do polish them yes. I do think the current temp has a lot to do with it. Recent weeks it hasn't got above 7 degrees in my garage. Less so at night when I normally do my castings.

That's an interesting point about too much catalyst. Thanks I might have over catalyst them, perfectly possible. Ill do another batch and be more careful.

I haven't been using my vac pump. Maybe I should also give that a go. I suppose i'm concerned about potentially selling a few eyes and getting unhappy feedback about how easily damaged they might be.

Thanks

from experience if you over catalyse your resin it turns yellow, and more and more as time goes on, i would hazard a guess at the fogging issue is moisture. also from experience try and cast at 20 degrees or more, i know its hard in the uk but the cold plays havoc with resins. i do all my casting in the summer time. you can also warm the resin in hot water before using.

ive cast parts in 2 degrees before and i could crush the parts in my hand, zero strength. so it makes a big difference.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back