Clear coating...best way?

Jodo Kast 3

Sr Member
Real basic description.

I`ve made a run of pins that I`m using a sticker graphic for the face of the pin. I`d like to throw a layer of clear coat over the sticker to make it more durable.

Anybody done this or have any advise on whats the simplest stuff to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JK3

You have a wide range of choices depending on what your materials your prop is made out of, and what kind of protection you are looking for.

That being said, for a sticker on a pin, my first choice would be one of the spray cans of clear coat (I mainly use Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic). You have a choice between matte, stain and gloss, it's easy to use and easy to make look good, it dries quickly, and it gives a lot of protection.

Most paper fixatives are lacquer based to prevent bleeding of water based inks... So you might want to try a lacquer clear coat or even a clear fixative that you will find in scrapbook isles of the hobby store...

What if you experiment on one with two part epoxy glue...two or five minute set times. Mix some up...brush it on...hit it with a heat gun to level out the glue and let it set. It will be clear and nothing would be more durable.

I've been using Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic (walmart) for the past couple of years, works like a charm. I would say watch for overspraying though!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back