Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

PHArchivist

Master Member
My approach to this is to build it strictly as if it came off the effects stage, as opposed to the "idealized, desktop display" style. I weathered it as close to the studio models as possible (with some minor variation on the fuelage), including a mounting port cover and all.

Here are some pics:

Just for fun, here's a pic.

The base color started as rattle can Camoflage Grey, but I didn't like it.

Then airbrush Testor's Light Grey; didn't like it either.

So I started combining Camo Grey, Light Grey, and White to get the color you see here, though the pic sucks...

I like it. :)
As a base, it is definitly a great starting place.

Now I have a question.. Are you going to place mounting points in your model so it can be mounted for filming, and if so, please post some pic :)

-Skyler101

Hahahaha your thread is now MINE..... J/K at least someone was posting in my thread. Between selling my house and finishing a commission piece, my model time has been very low lately. Yours is looking good, keep the pics coming.

If you get a chance to snap a shot of your paint color in better lighting I would appreciate it. I want to compare yours to mine :)

Again looking good

Greg

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 5 2005, 07:38 PM
As I more or less have been dominating on Jade's thread (my apologies), I figured I'd start my own thread for my build-up.

Regrettably, I am building the less-than-stellar MiM kit, and not the significantly better offering that is the subject of Jade's thread.

Nonetheless, my approach to this is to build it strictly as if it came off the effects stage, as opposed to the "idealized, desktop display" style.  I intend to weather it as close to the studio models as possible, including the mounting port covers and all.

Considering this, I have a question...
[snapback]1027314[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Skyler101@Jul 6 2005, 09:01 AM

Now I have a question.. Are you going to place mounting points in your model so it can be mounted for filming, and if so, please post some pic :)

-Skyler101
[snapback]1027583[/snapback]​

Interestingly, as far as I know, the filming models had 2 mount point possibilities. The majority of them were mounted on a rod that went into the nose from underneath just in front of the cockpit. There was at least one that was mounted from the rear. This one, interestingly, has a different tail end with different detail then the one we all normally see and an end cap to cover the hole when it was shot on the ground. (I believe this one was the only version that had landing gear as an option.) I was thinking of someday doing one with a tail mount and the different details...I have all the source to do it.

Back on topic....viper looks good. I think the camo grey is too brown though...as a base though its sharp.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 5 2005, 08:39 PM
Question is:

Does anyone have a cast of the 1:24 scale Harrier pilot figure used on the originals
?
[snapback]1027315[/snapback]​

Oh...yeah...Another neat note...there were 6 different pilots (painted differently) used for the Vipers...at least one wasnt 1 was from the Harrier and was from a race car. Not sure on the others..but I have a picture somewhere.

Originally posted by Skyler101@Jul 6 2005, 01:01 PM
Are you going to place mounting points in your model so it can be mounted for filming, and if so, please post some pic :)

-Skyler101

The "ports" for the mounting points will be simulated. I'm not gonna drill gaping holes into thisthing. ;)

Originally posted by Jestefarean+Jul 6 2005, 03:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jestefarean @ Jul 6 2005, 03:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Skyler101
@Jul 6 2005, 09:01 AM

-Skyler101

Interestingly, as far as I know, the filming models had 2 mount point possibilities. The majority of them were mounted on a rod that went into the nose from underneath just in front of the cockpit. There was at least one that was mounted from the rear. This one, interestingly, has a different tail end with different detail then the one we all normally see and an end cap to cover the hole when it was shot on the ground. (I believe this one was the only version that had landing gear as an option.) I was thinking of someday doing one with a tail mount and the different details...I have all the source to do it.

Back on topic....viper looks good. I think the camo grey is too brown though...as a base though its sharp.
[snapback]1027686[/snapback]​
[/b]

Great info.

The ref pics I have (which are NOT uncommon) show the port just forward of the cockpit, and one model with a port on the left engine intake. I believe I posted a pic of that one in Jade's thread...

At this point, I'm considering an amalgam of the three filming models I have pics of...

Again -- fantastic info. Thanks.

Wasn't the Harrier used for the X-Wing too, or was it just the Phantom? Wonder if those 1/24 X-Wing builders have a cast of a pilot laying around...?

Originally posted by Jestefarean+Jul 6 2005, 03:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jestefarean @ Jul 6 2005, 03:53 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jul 5 2005, 08:39 PM
Question is:

Does anyone have a cast of the 1:24 scale Harrier pilot figure used on the originals
?

Oh...yeah...Another neat note...there were 6 different pilots (painted differently) used for the Vipers...at least one wasnt 1 was from the Harrier and was from a race car. Not sure on the others..but I have a picture somewhere.
[snapback]1027688[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@Jul 6 2005, 01:39 PM
If you get a chance to snap a shot of your paint color in better lighting I would appreciate it.  I want to compare yours to mine :)

Again looking good

Greg

[snapback]1027606[/snapback]​

By your command. And thanks for the comps.

Thanks Jesse. Time to dirty her down... Take her from the "fresh off the Viper factory line" look to the "riden hard and put away wet" appearance...

Or in other words -- the fun part. ;)

Originally posted by Jestefarean@Jul 7 2005, 01:29 AM
Looking good.

Ill dig out the picture of the pilots...I can't remember what I ID'ed... (my mind fades quickly.  Sorry)
[snapback]1028063[/snapback]​

Well, if anyone is willing to shoot over some pics of the mounts and their placments, "I" will be willing to dtill holes into my Viper kit...

(Sorry Jestefarean, but I want to mount my model for photography purposes.)

-Skyler101

Originally posted by Skyler101@Jul 7 2005, 05:14 AM
Well, if anyone is willing to shoot over some pics of the mounts and their placments, "I" will be willing to dtill holes into my Viper kit...

(Sorry Jestefarean, but I want to mount my model for photography purposes.)

-Skyler101
[snapback]1028272[/snapback]​

Nothing to be sorry about. :) There is a photo of the forward mount point model on the CD (I believe) Ill pull that off and upload it later after work (unless someone else can get to it) I don't know if I have a picture of the rear mount point model...but I think I do, and I have a cast of the back end from that version.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 5 2005, 07:39 PM
Question is:

?

Who about a real one?
I've got two Harriers here I have pilots for I won't use probably.

Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369+Jul 7 2005, 09:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jul 7 2005, 09:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jul 5 2005, 07:39 PM
Question is:

?

Who about a real one?
I've got two Harriers here I have pilots for I won't use probably.

Lynn
[snapback]1028680[/snapback]​
[/b]

That would be awesome.

Originally posted by PHArchivist+Jul 7 2005, 01:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Jul 7 2005, 01:21 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jades Dark Heart
@Jul 6 2005, 01:39 PM

If you get a chance to snap a shot of your paint color in better lighting I would appreciate it.  I want to compare yours to mine :)

Again looking good

Greg

[snapback]1027606[/snapback]​

By your command. And thanks for the comps.
[snapback]1028057[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yup...that sweet old bird is still just as smokin' hot as she was in the late 1970's. Not a single "update" out there looks nearly as good.

Good work there fella. Treat her well.

-Gordon

A bit of weathering today...

Some streaking with Navy Aggressor Gray. Though these areas are not completly finished yet. Need to add a couple more grays and browns... And the cans need a final Aggressor Gray wash...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back