Clark Kent Daily Planet pass? POSSIBLE SPOILER

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by FETTCLONE, Apr 27, 2006.

1. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

Anyone get a clear screencap of the press pass Clark was wearing when saving a man from a car tonight? The episode was titled "Fade". There was a nice close-up moment where it (the pass) was large enough to read, and centered on the screen. I'd love to make up one for my wife, and my own little Smallville collection. (No sales plan here, just think it would be fun to have, and easy to make up.) It would make a good addition to the free paper prop thread, too. ;)

Let me know if anyone has something. Thanks.

2. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

not very high tech (photo taken from screen)...but a start :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FETTCLONE

Nice work, Sithlord. If folks help out, this one shouldn't take long at all. If only I had graphic skills... :lol

4. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You might want to post a Spoiler warning, I have not seen the Episode and now you "Spoiled" it .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FETTCLONE @ Apr 27 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1234525[/snapback]</div>

5. FETTCLONE

Sorry Propsculptor. Didn't really see what was potentially a spoiler, but modified the title.

6. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

not really spoiled since it happened at the very beginning....?

7. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propsculptor @ Apr 28 2006, 02:21 AM) [snapback]1234554[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

what clark works for the daily planet??? now the whole things ruined for me.......cause you know..... i didnt ever think he would work for the planet at all :rolleyes

8. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

adding my contributions.

[attachmentid=7808]
    [attachmentid=7809]
    [attachmentid=7807]
    [attachmentid=7810]

hope they help
    chris

9. FETTCLONE

Very nice, Hydin. That's got to help. Now we just need someone to assemble the bits and sharpen a few edges (and maybe fix the little watermark, though it doesn't really bother me much). At times like this I begin to wonder just what programs I should learn to do this stuff myself, so I'm not just bugging you folks. :D

Great to see this coming together so quickly.

10. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here in California, Smallville was postponed due to a Sports Game, bummer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FETTCLONE @ Apr 27 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1234558[/snapback]</div>

11. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

[​IMG]

Here's what I can piece together with the stills, but I think we're just gonna have to use it as a template and build it from scratch.

Notice the very small text under the globe? Anybody have any ideas??

Here's a banner I made to use for our holiday newsletters. The font is Old English Text MT.

[​IMG]

I also have an original Daily Planet from Superman II. The globe and banner font look the same, so I may take it out of the frame and scan it in.

Steve

12. FETTCLONE

That's looking great, Misterfusion. I agree that it's definitely the same font, but I have no ideas about the tiny text underneath the logo. Could be a good spot for the people who worked on this to slip in some names (wink, wink- contributors in this thread.). We may have this printed and laminated before Monday at this rate.

I do like the idea of scanning in the original banner. I always wanted one of those papers, it just seems like an ideal superhero prop to me. Come to think of it, I'm gonna wear this sucker to Returns when it comes out. Maybe with a blue shirt and red jacket, too. :lol

13. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As mentioned, bes thing to do is just use that as a template and make it form scratch. Apart from the small text, it looks pretty simple for those versed in the grapics programs.

14. jedilos

jedilos Well-Known Member

Wow very nice and great job getting better stills, this would be a nice prop. good luck guys

15. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

great stuff...much better than mine LOL

Possible SPOILER BELOW.....

Clark doesn't join the planet....he goes there so often that I suppose Chloe got him one so it's easier to get in?...even though he could just dash by the guards :lol

16. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(misterfusion @ Apr 28 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1234641[/snapback]</div>
    It's Metropolis' Greatest Newspaper

17. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kal-ElofKrypton @ Apr 28 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]1234970[/snapback]</div>
    "it isn't that I don't trust you, Otis..." :angel

Were you able to read it by watching the episode, or are you making an educated guess? That looks right...just want to be sure.

Steve

18. Kal-ElofKrypton

It's Always been Metropolis' Greatest Newspaper

I wanted to make sure so I looked at some Smallville episodes featuring the Newspaper, Superman Returns, Superman: The Movie.

I'm Pretty positve. But if your just looking at it, you can tell the first word is Metropolis

19. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Works for me. Unless anyone else chimes in, that what I'm going for.

Steve

20. Kal-ElofKrypton

Great, Steve you planning on making these and selling them?

21. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

By George, he's right. "Metropolis Greatest Newspaper"

Here's a cleaned up scan from my Superman II Daily Planet:
    [​IMG]

And here's a LINK to the full size scan if anybody wants it.

Sure, I'll spearhead this one, but it'll still end up being a group project. With this kind of thing, I think it's better to have a few dozen eyes going over the project. :D

Let the games begin.

Steve

Aw crap...this is my 3rd edit as I see things changing already...

The DP globe from the S:II paper has North America below the banner; The Smallville one runs the banner across North America. Looks like I am rebuilding from scratch...Nothing is ever easy in this prop replica business, is it?

22. Kal-ElofKrypton

Hahaha I thought so. Good luck with the project

23. FETTCLONE

Wow. :confused I go to work for a day and you've got everything almost done. Great job so far, everyone. Steve, you've really stepped up to the plate and delivered. Kal-El, don't think I haven't noticed your help too.

The logo is looking good, and I finally know what the small print means. I also noticed the banner crossing the globe in different places between logos, but it's a small thing to me. That being said I wouldn't dream of saying "leave it as is" when someone wants to take it to the next level of accuracy. ;)

I've been playing around with the images in paint, but the results were less than stellar. Time to look at photoshop (or something similar), if my computer doesn't have a fit and die at the thought of it. :lol

I think this is going to be a fun little prop for all of us. Thanks again, guys.

24. Kal-ElofKrypton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FETTCLONE @ Apr 28 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1235210[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah once we all get this done, It will be my first ID from the show. My collection is small and I stopped buying things recently because everything is so expensive. I hope to change that because I just got a part time job and odd jobs in the neighborhood..

Thanks FEETCLONE I'm always glad to assist anyone who needs the help.

25. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Gang,

This is right up my alley. If Nobody objects, I'd be happy to tackle this project.
    Two things:
    1. I need the font (in mac format if possible - if not, I have a conversion program. Please email it to: chrismaage@hotmail.com
    2. I need to know what the top of the tag looks like - is it punched through the graphic, or is the tag hole just above it?

I already have the laminate, so that will be the easy part. These would be cheap like my Pulp Fiction IDs - say, $5-7 shipped including the clip.

Misterfusion - If I'm stepping on your toes, please let me know and I'll gladly step aside.
    Just trying to help :)

-Chris

26. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Are you kidding? I have toes of steel.

I agree COMPLETLY that this is right up your alley and would LOVE to see your take on this.

Stomp away, baby.

Steve

p.s.

I sent you the inferior PC fersion of the font, but I'm sure you'll manage :)

27. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ill take a few more pics of it. iirc its a top slot.

chris

[attachmentid=7853]
    [attachmentid=7854]

top connector :)

chris

28. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tons of progress since I first saw this. I would definitely love to get one of these.

29. Reel Fakes

Thanks Steve,
    I just wanted to play on the safe side of things - never know who you're going to offend on the RPF ;).

I'll try to get it started tomorrow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Apr 30 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1236106[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that pic Chris - that answers that question - I have that exact type of hang-tag laminate in nice thick 5 mil. :)

Stay tuned...
    -Chris

30. Smallvillekalel

Smallvillekalel Active Member

Here is a daily planet logo from the Superman returns website.

[​IMG]

31. FETTCLONE

Nice work as always. You shouldn't have any trouble getting these into our collections at all. :D

32. Reel Fakes

Yes, this should pose no significant problems. :)
    -Chris

33. Reel Fakes

DONE:

[​IMG]

I made a few ;):

[​IMG]

Please look for the FS thread in the junkyard later on tonight.
    Hope you like 'em,

Chris

34. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Holy Frijoles.

You really are faster than a speeding bullet.

They look GREAT, and I'll be buying me a few of those bad boys...

EXCELLENT WORK.

Steve

35. Kal-ElofKrypton

OMG GREAT WORK and you are speedy too. I can't wait for one or two or three of those.

36. TFrosst

Can't wait. Hope they're nice and cheap-at cost prehaps ;)

37. FETTCLONE

Very nice. I knew this one wouldn't take long. And I'm sure it won't cost too much, especially after lots of contributors. Regardless, I'll be in for one.

Great to see us all getting our heads together and completing this so quickly. You all deserve a :thumbsup .

38. Reel Fakes

39. jedilos

jedilos Well-Known Member

wow yuo are very fast it looks awesome

40. TFrosst

Was just watching episode 11 and roughly 21 mins in when Chloe and Clark are at the Planet, it shows chloes pres pass which is differnt from Clarks. The base is the same but instead of having one box with her name, it has two. It also doesnt' say press and has her photo on it.
    EDIT: Got a screen cap and found the photo they used on the pass (if anyone can find a higher res one, please post. I know it's out there, i've seen it before). The top box obviously says her name, the bottm is up for discussion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

...and the continents are a different color, and there's more space at the top above the DP banner, and it looks longer, too...

And, obviously, It doesn't say "Press" either. The picture one could either be an earlier version or it's an inhouse ID for security purposes as opposed to the traditional "press pass".

The 2nd line? "Intern"? An ID Number? "Cub Reporter"? :D

Steve

42. TFrosst

Continents I believe are the same color, the pic may throw you off. It looks longer because I didn't fix the scale of it in photoshop-it was captured skwed like that. The dimensions are the same. The extra space-if there even is any-may just be how they cut the paper. The ID also showed up again in another episode. It's always hanging off her light on her desk.

43. Reel Fakes

Well, if we can figure out the 2nd box, I could get this one done as well :)

-Chris

44. Reel Fakes

If I had to guess, I'd bet the second box says, simply: "Reporter"

Anybody got any other info on this? I'll have a prototype done in a day or 2.

Chris

45. Kal-ElofKrypton

What episode is it from? I could take a look and see if I can get a good picture of it.

Plus I got my first two ID's Today. Great Job Chris. They are beautiful.

46. Reel Fakes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kal-ElofKrypton @ May 8 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1240721[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto that - any help?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kal-ElofKrypton @ May 8 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1240721[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Matthew,
    Glad you like 'em :)
    -Chris

47. TFrosst

First time I saw it was in ep. 11 about 21 mins in. it shows up again in-I think-ep. 13

48. Kal-ElofKrypton

Yeah if anyone can tell me the exact name of the episode, I can definatly get pictures.

49. Reel Fakes

50. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. I would order the tri-set along with another custom. :)