Civil War Costume Questions: War Machine and Falcon

B

BlueSteel

After I finish my Mark 3, I'm planning to do a foam build War Machine or Falcon, both in their new Avengers 2 duds. I know Falcon got like 2 seconds of screen time but anybody know about the possibility of a Hot Toys replica coming out soon? as for WM, I assume there is a foam file zip out there just haven't been able to track one down. Also, I've been dabbling in 3d designing and the challenge is like to undertake is a movie accurate unfolding and folding Falcon wingpack. Btw I envisioned the new falcon suit before the release and it came out exactly as I had envisioned it so I'm that much more interested in making a replica.

There just isn't any reference out there. The movie just came out and it's literally 2 seconds on the screen. War Machine should just be a repaint of Iron Patriot

Ya Thx. that's what I assumed for both things actually, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything

Without seeing stills from the movie (so, a few months away when a bluray release is out) it's probably safe to assume the War Machine armor is the battleship grey repaint of the IM3 Iron Patriot armor, as Kevin Gossett said.

As for Falcon, I don't know if there are files for his wings available anywhere. There is a 3D model ripped from Marvel Heroes which will probably be a good base, but his wings fold in a way that can't work in real life, because movie physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I attempted designing the wings and was make considerable progress but ultimately the frame makes so I physical sense, aren't the actually wing material fabric anyway? Anyway tho I couldn't catch if his new wings were mostly metal or what but I guess I'll have to find out with the bluray

Well again, assuming the wings are the same as the ones in TWS (which I'm guessing is the case until screen caps from AoU are available), they look entirely mechanical/metal to me:

captain-america-the-winter-solider-screenshot-falcon-wings-behind.jpg

Here's a gif of them folding up:

tumblr_n232y4C99D1rff4lfo2_500.gif

The outer half of the upper wing folds almost 180 degrees in on itself, and then the inner half of the upper wing folds about 90 degrees to fit inside of the backpack. The "feathers" fold inside of the upper section in a way that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Try getting the upper part of the wings and the backpack to work and figure out the feathers from there.

For Falcon, here you go:
lLbqsv9.png

gEiI71q.png

aIgJMXV.png

Just to warn you, he's going to get a revised look for CW anyway, so not sure you want to spend a lot of time replicating this suit for 1 second of screen time.

For War Machine, as far I as I can tell he'll be sticking with his Mk2 suit from AoU for CW, so you can probably start working on that.

I don't think you're really gonna be able to make his wings collapsible, as others have mentioned, because Hammerspace is not something that you can access in real life. The wings are supposed to be metal and some sort of co-polymer probably, not fabric (when Bucky rips one of them off him, there's none of the telltale rippling that clothlike material would have).

Here's the Falcon build I did earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSs3aRX8JfI

As for his Avengers 2 get-up, there's no way to get a good look at his suit till we can get more than screencaps from cam footage. But his new wings look identical to his old ones, frames and all, just red and matte gray instead of matte gray and slightly tinted.

For Falcon, here you go:

Just to warn you, he's going to get a revised look for CW anyway, so not sure you want to spend a lot of time replicating this suit for 1 second of screen time.

For War Machine, as far I as I can tell he'll be sticking with his Mk2 suit from AoU for CW, so you can probably start working on that.

Where did you hear his look was changing AGAIN for Civil War? Seems weird of them to design him a new suit for 2-4 seconds of screen time in this film.

You could *probably* get the middle section to fold (which would require the feathers be individually articulated...), but getting it to collapse into the backpack probably isn't possible.

Where did you hear his look was changing AGAIN for Civil War? Seems weird of them to design him a new suit for 2-4 seconds of screen time in this film.

Stuff I've seen that's not yet public. You'll notice the AoU costume shares a lot of similarities with his TWS look but with an added chest plate on top and different base suit, so it probably didn't take much effort to put together that costume for a quick shot. The CW version will have more refined armor parts, but the wings more or less are the same.

Stuff I've seen that's not yet public. You'll notice the AoU costume shares a lot of similarities with his TWS look but with an added chest plate on top and different base suit, so it probably didn't take much effort to put together that costume for a quick shot. The CW version will have more refined armor parts, but the wings more or less are the same.

Interesting. I actually think the AoU suit looks vastly different, with forearm armor, completely different shoulderpads, the chest armor, totally different jetpack, etc. Looks nothing like his WS suit IMO. Just my two cents. I suppose time will tell.

You could *probably* get the middle section to fold (which would require the feathers be individually articulated...), but getting it to collapse into the backpack probably isn't possible.

Yeah, if you articulate each individual feather panel and use a lot of wiring and pulleys you can get them to fold like "angel" wings on either side of the jetpack like this:

animatronic_wing_frame_01_by_bushitaka-d4rwiqv.jpg

Unfortunately they will not collapse into the jetpack and you will be very wide even when they are retracted so doorways and narrow hallways will be an issue. This is why I decided to just have mine fold down behind my back.

Yeah, if you articulate each individual feather panel and use a lot of wiring and pulleys you can get them to fold like "angel" wings on either side of the jetpack like this:

Unfortunately they will not collapse into the jetpack and you will be very wide even when they are retracted so doorways and narrow hallways will be an issue. This is why I decided to just have mine fold down behind my back.

FWIW, Falcon's wings seem to hinge upwards at the back instead of downwards like in that photo The outer half also seems to enclose the inner half, as opposed to just resting together like in that sort of design.

I have no idea if that would help it conceal into a smaller footprint though.

Interesting. I actually think the AoU suit looks vastly different, with forearm armor, completely different shoulderpads, the chest armor, totally different jetpack, etc. Looks nothing like his WS suit IMO. Just my two cents. I suppose time will tell.

I took another look at the AoU screen grabs and you're right, there are some key differences vs TWS Falcon. All I can say is that the final concept I saw for CW has a cleaner looking design than what was shown at the end of AoU, but it does look like an evolution from the AoU suit. Best way I can describe the CW Falcon is that it reminds me of Wolverine's DOFP future suit.

FWIW, Falcon's wings seem to hinge upwards at the back instead of downwards like in that photo The outer half also seems to enclose the inner half, as opposed to just resting together like in that sort of design.

I have no idea if that would help it conceal into a smaller footprint though.

Yeah, I didn't mean EXACTLY like in that pic, just that's how they would sit when retracted (folded on either side of you, not actually hidden within the pack). That was all I was trying to show. :)

Ok I take it back, got a much better look at Falcon's CW outfit and it's more or less the same as the end of AoU :facepalm :lol

The screen grabs I posted don't do the new suit justice, it's got a lot of detail you can't really see, gonna be hard to start working on a replica of this costume until better screen grabs start popping up. For the wings the notable change is the addition of red on the inner panels of the wings, which you can see in the screen grabs.

Another shot from the VFX feature:

L8XbngI.jpg

High-rez link: https://i.imgur.com/L8XbngI.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back