Chronicle Collectibles JP Cryocan

Its really a shame they dont allow researchers to study these items. I think it would be a huge resource to be honest. They could even charge people to visit the archives and people would pay for it.
Right? It sucks that it's for internal Universal research only. I'm guessing our Pedia probably wouldn't count. :( I was just thinking how that private collector in Ohio should contact Legacy Effects and have his screen used animatronic pieces restored to their on screen appearances. That would be a truly momentous undertaking. There's also a shitton of JP artifacts among other private collectors. Peter Jackson owns a considerable number of the maquettes among his collection. Alan Grant's screen used raptor claw has been lost among some private collection, with only a single photo of the condition it was in at the point of sale. And there's several other costumes that come to mind that have been sold at auction into private hands, never to be seen again. Alan Grant's original and JP/// costumes, Ellie's costume, several of the flashlights, several full InGen worker costumes, so many many many animatronics dismantled and sold off piece by piece, extra pieces sold off. SWS sold off so much of their private collection when Stan died.

So many pieces, lost.. :(

Right? It sucks that it's for internal Universal research only. I'm guessing our Pedia probably wouldn't count. :( I was just thinking how that private collector in Ohio should contact Legacy Effects and have his screen used animatronic pieces restored to their on screen appearances. That would be a truly momentous undertaking. There's also a shitton of JP artifacts among other private collectors. Peter Jackson owns a considerable number of the maquettes among his collection. Alan Grant's screen used raptor claw has been lost among some private collection, with only a single photo of the condition it was in at the point of sale. And there's several other costumes that come to mind that have been sold at auction into private hands, never to be seen again. Alan Grant's original and JP/// costumes, Ellie's costume, several of the flashlights, several full InGen worker costumes, so many many many animatronics dismantled and sold off piece by piece, extra pieces sold off. SWS sold off so much of their private collection when Stan died.

Pretty sure I bid on that... Want to say I capped out at $600.00 (and lost of course).

I document every piece of production history I own/find. Over time it will belong to the people anyway - we are but custodians of film history destined for museums hundreds of years down the line, if they are not destroyed already. So documenting/sharing them is the key to perpetuating them too.

One detail present on the prop displayed at AMC/Universal Citywalk, which we can assume is the same cryocan prop.

The concave bottom section of the original can was welded/glued back on to the aluminium machined piece. I've seen replicas surfacing where the concave bottom is machined in.

Being one for prop accuracy I will likely seek out/build this kind of crude accuracy in to my replica.
received_1683900838397925~2.jpeg

One detail present on the prop displayed at AMC/Universal Citywalk, which we can assume is the same cryocan prop.

The concave bottom section of the original can was welded/glued back on to the aluminium machined piece. I've seen replicas surfacing where the concave bottom is machined in.

Being one for prop accuracy I will likely seek out/build this kind of crude accuracy in to my replica.View attachment 992465
So, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it's been speculated that there are a few different versions of the prop (as there usually are— like with the amber cane)— one like the one we see at AMC/Universal Citywalk with the glued bottom, and one with a completely machined body. Or, at least, someone pointed something out about this cryocan in reference to the bottom and why nobody tries to replicate it like that.
I was under the impression that they already had access to the original which is why their can was supposed to be so accurate and now all of a sudden they have to retool because they found the original. Either I'm completely wrong or something is not so right.
It is entirely possible that they had one version of the prop, and got their hands on another version used in the film that was either easier to make or more visually appealing. Like mentioned before, there are multiple versions of props, Hammonds cane for example, used in a movie or made during production/post production for one reason or another. I could be wrong, but it's what first came to mind for me when they announced this news.

It is entirely possible that they had one version of the prop, and got their hands on another version used in the film that was either easier to make or more visually appealing.

Entirely possible - I thought the appearance of the AMC prop and their claim to now possess the hero prop are interestingly close chronologically. I guess if you were the private collector you'd have to be convinced to allow them to borrow it to match? That could explain the time gap. And perhaps before they took extensive photography before but didnt have it in-hand?

On another note:
The claim is on social media that this is the "long-lost (but now found!) screen-used can". The description says the replica was "made referencing" that can. Could this not be based on observations and photography on the RPF looking at the AMC can? It doesn't say they have it in-hand. Thats just what we assume... the images with it show the inner machined section spotted on the RPF after the AMC can surfaced.

Last edited:
C'mon, guys...

A couple of you act like every time someone discusses this thing they're giving a deposition. "He said this, then he said that...burn him!!" The fact of the matter is, Chronicle is a good sized company with numerous people causally chatting about a number of different props as projects take shape. Some are simply more dialed in on the subject matter than others. It's really that simple.

Regarding some recent questions. I'll go down the list as best I can and try and hit a few hot topics:

1) Yes. There was more than one cryo made for production; therefore, there has been more than one frame of reference. Without getting too far into it, Universal recently found, what they informed us was 'the' hero prop. This thing literally took my breath away when I saw it. It was found in a crate, complete with inventory tags, etc. I'll add, there was info present with this that nobody has taken note of since production.

While all pieces are definitely similar, there are some differences. Nothing that can't be attributed to having been made by hand, etc. Suffice it to say, there are zero mysteries surrounding this prop any longer. I hope to write about it in geeky depth, one day.

2) The proto has gone through several revisions. In fact, it's changed twice since the last update pictured above. Hell, Chronicle never even saw my last pass...no sooner than I had one thing dialed in, I changed another. All of this was predicated on a newly discovered prop. So, when Paul mentioned retooling, blame me.

3) There is absolutely nothing new about the AMC can. I appreciate it's new to a number of people here; however, reference photos have been around for years. While there is no real provenance for the AMC can, I do believe it was made for production.

There ya go! That's about as far as I can go right now.

-Rylo

Thanks for clearing that up Rylo! Are you working on this particular run of replicas?

Would love to see this hero prop too - I'm hoping nearer the time we can see how close Chronicle's replica comes to the original piece.

I'm not manufacturing the run if that's what you mean. Thank god! It's a big project.

I was asked to make their prototypes. There are numerous things that will need to be taken into consideration for mass production. Who makes them and how they ultimately end up won't really involve me. I mean, I'll gladly advise when/if asked, but they have people for that once things go overseas.

-Rylo

I understand. Out of curiousity was your Cryocan replica based on the one we recently saw in AMC Citywalk? The one with less provenence? Or a different screen-used Cryocan prop again?

I'm not manufacturing the run if that's what you mean. Thank god! It's a big project.

I was asked to make their prototypes. There are numerous things that will need to be taken into consideration for mass production. Who makes them and how they ultimately end up won't really involve me. I mean, I'll gladly advise when/if asked, but they have people for that once things go overseas.

-Rylo

Rylo — Sorry to change topic a bit, I am new to the site and wasn’t sure how to contact you.
Do you still have any Cyro stands available for sale? Or able to build anymore?

Thanks!

Sorry, man. I do not.
Ah ok, I know I am little late to the game, I appreciate the reply. Those were some amazing pieces. Are you aware of anywhere else that is selling anything close to what you did? I would really like to get my hands on one.

Sorry, man. Just seeing this. Like you, I'm a student of this prop so I sincerely appreciate your questions. Since I really have spoken about all that at length over the years, I want to be cool and stay in my lane on this project. I just don't want their thread to turn into stuff about my old work, ya know?!

Maybe we can get our heads together down the road and get a nice reference page together that discusses what's been learned over the years.

With regard to this gig, my proto work has been completed, so like you guys; I look forward to seeing the final result when these go to market.

-Rylo

I understand. Out of curiousity was your Cryocan replica based on the one we recently saw in AMC Citywalk? The one with less provenence? Or a different screen-used Cryocan prop again?

Preorder up! $200 and payment plan option. Looks great.

The cryocan looks good and I heard Chronicle isn't going to carry the 1/35th Prime 1 dinosaurs, so I might put my credit towards this and buy it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back