Chrome and gold Chrome spray paint?

All this HydroChrome and Alclad sounds great! I can't wait to see the results from some of you guys who want to try this out (I would myself, but budget's tight as it is).

Rattle can doesn't do brilliant, reflective effects well; the only ones I've used that's come close to achieving something like a true chrome effect are the Krylon(?) Premium Metallic paints. They get close tho that finish but you absolutely CANNOT apply a clear coat to it and the finish dulls and smudges quite easily.

Actually I remember seeing krylon aluminium producing quite a good metallic look. This was a while back, but I remember being really impressed for a rattle can.

The best rattle can chrome and gold spray paints I've ever found are from Montana. They are far superior to every other one I've ever tried.

http://www.montana-cans.com/

The surface needs to be absolutely perfect. Prime and wet sand up to 600 grit. Then apply a base coat of gloss black before using the chrome or gold spray (sometimes I'll use glossy red as a base coat for the gold for a brighter look). For best results, put the rattle can in bowl of very hot water for 15 to 20 minutes before spraying. It thins the paint and improves the finish. Avoid clear overcoats. Even the best of them will make the surface look more "plastic".

Alclad lacquers look great but are really thin and intended for models which don't get handled like props and helmets. Even with careful handling they'll start to rub off, especially on corners and high spots. The Montana metallics are a bit more durable.

Thanks for that, I book marked that website so I'll know where to shop.
Have you ever applied it to ABS plastic that's had a acetone vapor bath? The parts, once dried come out very very smooth and high gloss.

Yes, The acetone vapor bath is a good start and will smooth out some, but not usually all of the build lines from the 3D printer. Priming and wet sanding are still essential to getting a good final surface. Especially with metallics, they are VERY unforgiving and show off any surface flaws. The good thing about the gloss black undercoat is that it is a good final check of the surface before the metallic.

Just a side thought, anyone ever contact any rattle-can companies to know what kinda paint they use for their metallic paint caps? That's applied on plastic and extremely durable and reflective, anyone else wonder where they get that from? They sure aren't using their own product to paint their own products.

Those caps aren't painted, they're injection molded with the color already in the plastic. That's why they're so durable.

I think he means the ones that look like chrome. The cap of the last can of Rustoleum silver I bought actually tarnished to a light golden color, so I assumed it was some silver (the metal) based coating like the Spectra Chrome stuff. It was white plastic inside.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back