Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

After a year of research and looking at still photos I figured out what boots Jim hopper wore in season 1 and season 2. They look like red wings 877 or 10877. But the color never matched, there is some extra stitching on the inside of the boot, and the upper leather texture was different than red wings. They are Woolrich Speculator boots. I order a pair and I will let you guys know how the fit of them are if anyone is interested.
That is a fantastic find! This is something that's been quietly bothering me for years. Now the real question is do they fit like Red Wings? I had to go a full size down with my 877s (thankfully they were purchased years before Stranger Things for another costume).

That is a fantastic find! This is something that's been quietly bothering me for years. Now the real question is do they fit like Red Wings? I had to go a full size down with my 877s (thankfully they were purchased years before Stranger Things for another costume).
On my red wing 877 and 10877 I always order a 10D. Once broke in they fit perfect. i would have a little room in the front of the toes. From my big toe to the end of the red wing I would have less than half inch. I order a 10D on the speculators and they are a little more snug than red wing. Which I like better! Depending on what type of sock you wear I would say stick with red wing sizing or half size up. Everyone feet is different. Online they say true to fit. Thorogood makes the boots for Woolrich. I would advise trying to find a shoe store that sells thorogood moc toes and try them on. These boots are no longer for sale so you have to buy them from eBay or from a seller like that. So be careful and use your best judgment. You got to think they have liner inside of the boots to keep your feet warm. Once you break in these boots it gives that nice brown look like in season 2. If it wasn’t for season 2 showing the boots more I would never figured it out. That inside stitching really helped!!!!

Idk what size you wear but this might help. In nike shoes like the Cortez I wear a 11 and sometimes I wear 11 and half. I have two pairs of Clark desert boots and they are both 10 and half. I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots that are size 10. My red wings are 10 and my speculator are size 10. Sometimes I feel like I could wear a 9 and half in red wings because I have just a little toe room.

That's actually really helpful information. Thanks!
Just like you I'm a half size down from my usual in Clarks and a full size down in Red Wings.

After a year of research and looking at still photos I figured out what boots Jim hopper wore in season 1 and season 2. They look like red wings 877 or 10877. But the color never matched, there is some extra stitching on the inside of the boot, and the upper leather texture was different than red wings. They are Woolrich Speculator boots. I order a pair and I will let you guys know how the fit of them are if anyone is interested.
Dude that is awesome!

I know when I was looking at boots I came across Thorogoods in the correct dark brown with a similar tread pattern to Hopper's, but I didn't pay close attention to the stitching or other details.

By the way, you look familiar. Did we meet at FanX?

qLZytIb.jpg

Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a little while since I last posted but I’ve been super busy. I hope everyone enjoyed season 4 of stranger things. I know I sure did. After watching I tried finding the red, white, and blue puffer jackets hopper and Joyce wore in the ending. Well I found out they are custom made by Crescent down works. They are going to do a limited run on the jackets. So if your interested follow the link and let them know! I figured it was nice to find out the actual brand. That way we didn’t have to search for ever trying to find them.

Dude that is awesome!

I know when I was looking at boots I came across Thorogoods in the correct dark brown with a similar tread pattern to Hopper's, but I didn't pay close attention to the stitching or other details.

By the way, you look familiar. Did we meet at FanX?

View attachment 1516148
Sorry it took me so long to reply back. No that’s not me. Even though it looks a lot like me lol! Crazy awesome! He sure has that hopper beard from season 2. Btw this might be a little spoiler if no one has seen all of season 4 yet. So you have been warned lol hopper is wearing some thorogood moc toe boots at the main end with his flannel. Which is awesome because thorogood made the Woolrich boots. So honestly I would advise getting an 8 inch pair of thorogood moc toes because he actually wears them this season for a little while. I would about bet he might even wear the thorogoods for season 5. We will just have to see. Plus the thorogoods have that nice long lasting sole on them! Sure last longer than the christy vibram sole

Here's the Don Hume 216 4" I got cheaply on Ebay. I couldn't find a tan one, but there were loads of black ones, so I got one of those and painted it (first dark brown, the drybrushed with orange-ish brown)

View attachment 1349200

(This is the "before" photo of that holster)

View attachment 1349201

The screen holster

View attachment 1349202

EDIT: After this post I got an actual Tex Shoemaker 35A, which I think is the closest model to the show holster.

Here's the Don Hume 216 (black, I painted it brown) and the Tex Shoemaker 35A for comparison.

View attachment 1349203

View attachment 1356351
I have the same Don Hume and was hoping you could explain your painting process in more detail. Yours came out great!

Back to the matter of the Hawkins Police Department patch, I recently got one from "smileyproducts13" on Ebay (left).

Here it is compared to the one I've been wearing for a couple years, which I got on Etsy from "dreamworldbybrian" (right).

And below them two screen shots provided by Pinder for comparison.

View attachment 1423736

View attachment 1423739

Seems to me the replica on the left is more accurate overall.

However it has three major problems:

1) the top isn't curved enough

2) the diamond at bottom is far too fat

3) the colours seem off. Yes I know US police "blue" uniforms are extremely dark to the point of appearing black in all but strong sunlight, yet I've taken this patch outdoors and it looks black. And the "gold" is somewhat too orange.

The other patch's colours are off in the opposite ways. A middle ground would be nice.
I am trying to put together a screen accurate uniform. Do you know where I might find a patch that is very dark blue with pointed corners?

About painting the black holster, it was just a two-step process.

I painted the whole thing with a darkish brown base coat, then when it was completely dry I did a dry-brushed highlight coat, just hitting all the high points, with the lighter ginger colour.

The tricky part was getting the colour right, because I was more or less guessing, looking at screen-shots.

When I got the actual Tex Shoemaker holster I found out my colour was off, and it took a couple tries to get a close match to proper colour.

About the Hawkins Police patch, as Pinder has shown us the screen-used patch is a complicated thing with the stars made in at least four slightly different sizes in a random distribution. None of the patches I've seen for sale have had that level of accuracy.

First to know is the Hawkins Police patch is lifted from the Indiana State Flag.

Note that on the flag all the stars (except for the one with INDIANA arched over it) are the same size, but they're at least four slightly different sizes on the Hawkins patch, randomly.

For example note that on the lowest pair of "beams of light" lines the star on the left terminus is larger than the star on the right terminus.

Also note that the small star on the torch handle is offset to the right.

Oddly the one bigger star on the Indiana flag is one of the smaller stars on the Hawkins patch.

bTDp2dK.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone that’s posted on this Thread. So much great information. I’m looking at putting together Jim Hopper season 1 And trying to get as close as I can for the accuracy of the show. I was hoping if anybody has anything looking to sell please let me know. I was hoping to get this completed before Halloween. Again, thanks for your time.

So I just got finally talked into pulling the trigger on this cosplay even though I've been wanting to do it for a while. Plan is to go for S2/S3 Hopper and as I lose weight go to S4 and use them as my before and after pictures lol. Either way I'm gonna have fun with it

The resources in this thread are phenomenal and thank you all for sharing. I feel like the hardest part is gonna be finding a wig that works. I shave my head and generally stick with bald characters, so hair is a new dimension for me.

Already ordered the Flying Cross shirt, Hawkins PD patch, badge and name tag. Also picked up the pens on Amazon. Next will be tracking down the pants, belt, hat, holster and sunglasses.

Thanks everybody to all the details, kind of difficult to find anything in Canada !
I found the season 1 winter jacket in long but same color from an old stock.
I'm trying to be as close as possible to season 1 for halloween this year

Recently I've seen a couple of similar blue coats show up on Ebay, but they have a zipper on the left sleeve.

Hopper's lacks the zipper, correct?

If someone is looking for the hopper jacket from season 1 and 2. The blue b9 parka with the split hood. Here is a link below. They have the longer version. They do not have the shorter version. Hopper had the shorter version but this is a rare find! These jackets were discontinued and to find them brand new is an awesome deal. If you want the shorter version they do have black and green. Hopper jacket was back in the 60-70s era and these are the same brand and version but these are probably from the late 80s to 90s era because the fur on the hood is softer.

If someone is looking for the hopper jacket from season 1 and 2. The blue b9 parka with the split hood. Here is a link below. They have the longer version. They do not have the shorter version. Hopper had the shorter version but this is a rare find! These jackets were discontinued and to find them brand new is an awesome deal. If you want the shorter version they do have black and green. Hopper jacket was back in the 60-70s era and these are the same brand and version but these are probably from the late 80s to 90s era because the fur on the hood is softer.

You got one?

Yes I have bought from this website before. I didn’t have no issues. The only issue I had was they sent me the short black version on accident and I called and they fixed it. I mean this was one of the best websites/ companies I’ve ever bought from. They were awesome. They found these jackets in a box from years ago that they had. So that’s pretty cool. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat. Really amazing company.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back