Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

In that situation I would probably wear the hat.

I do anyway, though I colour my grey hair brown when I do Hopper. (Since I never take my hat off at Cons I could colour just the temples and back, but I found it's easier to do all the hair.)

Figuring out a way to get a decent-looking brown beard took some time.

New to the page, but having a blast seeing all of your amazing builds!

Like many here, I'm working on the Season 3 Hopper. So far, I've purchased the Hot Topic version of the shirt as it's the only one I've seen available in stores that has the front pocket on it. It's a nice shirt, like really well made. I've since purchased a pair of Wrangler cowboy cut jeans, as they have the "W" on the back pockets as well as the leather "Wrangler" patch on the back right pocket. They are a little darker than his pair in the show, but they'll do until I can find a light wash.

I also found the same belt many have linked to here on eBay and just found a nice Casio digital watch!

The nicest thing I've found is the badge, which I found on Etsy through Space Cadet Collective. It's very impressive in person and has a nice heft to it. I bought a leather badge belt holder so I can wear my badge on my belt while walking around, and am awaiting it in the mail. The badge looks very official and I feel I could mess with drunk people quite easily with it..if I were that kind of person. :)

I'm working on the wig (as I'm bald) but I'm happy I've got the dadbod pretty well established. lol

20190802_163456.jpg
20190802_164007.jpg
20190805_215333.jpg
20190807_110007.jpg

What brand short sleeved shirts are you all getting? I know the color needs to be "silver tan".

For Season 3?

For the long-sleeved S1 and S2 shirt I'm using a Flying Cross 19w6604 (which I got used on Ebay for $25).

Yes the colour is "silver tan" which is sometimes spelt as one word "silvertan".

I haven't looked to see if the same shirt is made in a short-sleeved version. I would think so, because the Flying Cross 19w6604 is currently used by quite a few agencies, here in California by the California Highway Patrol and by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Mine was badged for Arizona Forestry.

Of course you can shorten the sleeves of the long-sleeved one, in a pinch.

Try this:

So what Hawking Police patch are you guys buying? I bought one online and it seems really small.

The one I got on Etsy which is 4.5 inches high was sold by "DreamWorldByBrian" and seems to no longer be available.

Here's one that's said to be 5 inches high, by "Mr Goods Emporium" on Etsy.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, because I've not done a detailed study of the patches seen onscreen. A quick look at various Hawkins Police patches on Etsy shows quite a variety of design and colour, and some dodgy lettering.

I'm betting the S3 short sleeve uniform shirt is the Flying Cross 69R6604.

69R6604.png

I've got one currently shipping, so I'll know more once it arrives.

Nice! I ordered a "First Class" tan shirt off Amazon for the time being. I have that one you ordered in my watchlist on eBay. Will you let me know how the fit is? If it is true to size?
I've had a number of Flying Cross shirts over the years, and now a pair of Flying Cross pants (the Hopper pants) and they run true to size, for myself anyhow. (I play bagpipes and many Pipe Bands wear Flying Cross pilot shirts.)

Good eye, Travis!! That looks like the shirt! The creases are almost completely ironed out.
And I notice he's wearing the blue pen from that set, and the name badge is worn lower than S1/S2.

Last edited:
Well, my 69R6604 arrived a day earlier than expected!

The good news? This appears to be the shirt we're looking for. (It is also the short sleeve version of the 19W6604, so I'm going to pretend that it makes sense.) :cool:

The 80R66Z that Travis picked up actually looks like a much higher quality shirt though. It has way more reinforcement/top stitching, so it'll probably hold up much better for real world use.

Flying Cross Comp.JPG

Regarding the fit, my 19W6604 is a 17/35 and the 69R6604 is a Large. The pattern is so close that I'm going to say they're identical in fit.

Last edited:
Here's some pics I gathered from S1.
View attachment 1006336

I've never studied the HPD patches until just now, and am I seeing what you see?

(Pinder's screen grabs)

sjf6iM2.jpg

It looks to me like there are, perhaps, four different sizes of white stars.

Of course HAWKINS is flanked by the two largest white stars.

Then there's the outer circle of white stars.

And there's an inner circle of white stars, a half-circle actually, forming a "U".

For clarity let me number the outer circle of 13 white stars like this: starting with #1 in the 12 O'clock position, proceeding clockwise around the circle to #13.

Now it seems to me that the stars around the bottom half of the outer circle are bigger than the stars around the top half of the circle.

The oddest thing is the pair of stars forming the terminus of the lowest gold ray-lines, #4 and #11. One of this pair seems to match the smaller stars around the top half of the circle, the other seems to match the larger stars around the bottom half of the circle. Specifically, #4 is smaller than #11.

Four of the five white stars that form the inner U-shaped half-circle are larger, like the stars around the bottom half of the outer circle. The middle white star, resting on the gold torch-handle, is the smallest star on the patch.

All that aside, when I look over the large number of different HPD patches available I see a surprising number of different ways of getting the patch wrong.

Some follow this, which perhaps is the official image? With the stars too small as Pinder has mentioned

G31acEv.jpg

This is the closest one I see now online, on Amazon, sold by Minimum Mouse. It has the dark blue, the gold rays connecting to six of the stars, and the very small white star on the torch-shaft

5kq8nwC.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back