Chewbacca wip

I thought I would share my Chewbacca progress. I am 5'7" and will stand 8' using stilts. There is still alot of work and grooming left.
chewiehair.jpg

Kanekalon hair straightend with hair dryer.
MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

footwithfiberglasscloth.jpg

claws1.jpg

finishedfoot.jpg

Skywalker stilts used. Pink foam built up and carved to shape. I put 2 coats of Elmers glue on the foam and then put fiberglass cloth over the foam. Then added 3 more coats over the fiberglass cloth. Used sign plastic for the nails. I cut them out and put them in a toaster oven to melt them to the shape I wanted. Painted the feet and added nails and hair.
meshpants1.jpg

meshpants2.jpg

Mesh for the pants.The V-shape was put into back so my stilts would fit better.
Chewielegs.jpg

After many hours of latchhooking. The pants are done. I will do the grooming later after I get the shirt done.
IMG_19800101_0329.jpg

I am going to do arm extentions so my arms will look preportionate. This is what I am starting with. More to come on the arms.

o_O cool!!!!!
How much did the stilts but u back??

I will be looking at this thread with intrest!!!
what are your ideas for the head/snout area??

Outstanding. I would NEVER have the patience to latchhook all that hair.:eek
The pants look awesome. This will be a great build. Keep it up.

I finished the arm extentions. It took me awhile to find something that would hold around my wrist. I found these cable ties that work like handcuffs. They work GREAT!
The hands will be static. I made them so I could just shake hands. I am just going to sling my bowcaster over my shoulder or not carry it at all.
armextentions.jpg

clamps.jpg

Now I will have to finish latchhooking the arms.
meandchewie.jpg

Holy smokes! What hair did you use for that? Amazing build, I can't believe how much taller the costume is than you!

Edit: I didn't read, just looked at pics...I see it now.

Last edited:
probably fallen over on them huge stilts and can't get back up!
someone might find him soon:lol
sorry just my brit sense of humour .....good project but as they say it's the mask that sets this baby off:thumbsup

I'm curious how trooping went with static hands. I'd love to do a Chewy costume myself, but I'm too short so I would need some kind of arm extension as well.
I've seen people my size do a Chewy costume without any kind of arm extensions and as long as the arms are posed, it looks awesome, but who wants to hold their arms up holding a gun in a pose all day long? I'd like to be able to hang them to my sides without looking silly. But that's just me.

Re: Chewbacca wip (Revised with new progress)

Ok. A year later and here is where I am at.

Suit with Bandolier that I just got in. ( I know it is on wrong side):lol I still need to thin the suit.
IMG_20101112_152942.jpg

Mask that I got from Trap Joe. Thank you again Jorg.
IMG_20101029_155115.jpg

Mask with hair punched in. (still need to thin and trim more.)
IMG_20101114_102808.jpg

This is from first thinning and grooming of mask.
IMG_20101113_154446.jpg

Me in the suit. Major thinning needs to be done to it.
IMG_0055.jpg

Last edited:
This looks absolutely incredible! If you can, post some video up on Youtube so we can see you walking in the stilts!

Chwbcc I am working on a set of those hands now.

Well the Bumpits are to small for the head. I'm going to try adding some foam to the head and lay the hair over the foam to raise the crown of the head.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back