Cheap Quills For My Modified Rubies Mask

Lflank

I was inspired by another Hunter here to add some quills to my modified Rubies mask, so here's what I came up with. I went to the pet shop and found a "squoosh" ball, the kind with all the long spiny things sticking out everywhere, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-Large-Puffer-Ball/dp/B004I099UK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Then I painted it black, snipped off the spines, and glued them into place. The look I was going for was a "middle-aged" pred---old enough to have lots of quills but not so old that he has turned grey.

So here's what I ended up with:

6988495083_5656494ec5.jpg

The Rubies mask can actually end up looking halfway decent with some modifications. Sadly, the one thing that can't be fixed is that the mask is wayyyyy too big. I ended up padding the heck out of the inside.

The Rubies mask can actually end up looking halfway decent with some modifications. Sadly, the one thing that can't be fixed is that the mask is wayyyyy too big. I ended up padding the heck out of the inside.

I have added new teeth to mine, longer dreads, gave it a more furrowed look, added quills and removed those god awful looking eyes, looks like Bobby Boucher's dad at the end of "WaterBoy", staring up at the sky lol

I agree the mask is waaaay too big so I slit the back of it and took off about 4" however I also added lots of foam to the inside to keep it from flopping around on me too. Do you wear contacts to give it the more authentic Predator look, I found some called "wolf" contacts that look awesome check it out...
http://www.turtlecontacts.com/au/wolf-contact-lenses-c-74

Do you wear contacts to give it the more authentic Predator look,

No, I left the original eyes in. Since I use my costumes almost entirely for making fan films, what matters mostly to me is how they look on camera. It's OK if I can't see a damn thing out of them. :cool:

I have heard that when Kevin Peter Hall was playing the pred, he couldn't see anything out of his mask either, so he rehearsed all his moves with Arnie with his eyes closed, and repeated them blind with his mask on.

I have heard that when Kevin Peter Hall was playing the pred, he couldn't see anything out of his mask either, so he rehearsed all his moves with Arnie with his eyes closed, and repeated them blind with his mask on.

I can imagine, all those trees and in the darkness as well, I'm gonna have to rig some sort of fan inside the mask too cause it gets too dang hot in there, living out here in west Texas our Halloweens can still be brutally hot

mate i have had a rubies mask for a few years sat in my loft and looking at what you have done inspired me to spice it up..iv made the same changes as you and i think it looks brill..ill post some pics soon and let me know what you think...just gotta say cheers dude you brought my mask to life.. :)))))

mate i have had a rubies mask for a few years sat in my loft and looking at what you have done inspired me to spice it up..iv made the same changes as you and i think it looks brill..ill post some pics soon and let me know what you think...just gotta say cheers dude you brought my mask to life.. :)))))

Pics---we want to see pics. :)

Excellent job on your mods to the Rubies! I too used a Rubies head on my first suit and had to make some mods.
Though it's been a long time ago, I feel compelled to share my experience modding the Rubies.

Here's the short version of the upgrades made: head interior, dreads, eyeholes, bio and quills

First I cut the strap from the bio, added an LED array (for the lazer targeting), gave it a repaint and added "earth magnets"
to the interior(above the browline).

Then I attached another grouping of "earth magnets" to the interior of the latex mask (so the bio would stick, yet easily removed)
After that I took the old head armature I had and wrapped it in SaranWrap, sprayed it down with a release agent and hung it upside down.
Then I temporarily plugged all holes in the mask and situated it proper on the upturned armature. Now I mixed up some Flexfoam
(I think it was the "30") and poured it between the head and armature. Once all the foam expanded, I removed the armature and
trimmed any excess foam away. Nice comfy fit now! So I then moved on to cutting the "fake eyes" out and attaching backer rod dreads
(that were sprayed with blk Plastidip and painted on dread rings). I then proceeded to touch up the paint a little and added my quills.
I made my quills from plastic palm grass from the local craft store. I painted the tips black, trimmed to desired length and attached with
SuperGlue. The plastic palm grass quills are rugged enough to handle the bending of bio attachment and removal without breakage.

It's great to see the various methods of jazzing one up, cuz where's the will, there's a way! Be well blooded brethren....

Excellent job on your mods to the Rubies! I too used a Rubies head on my first suit and had to make some mods.
Though it's been a long time ago, I feel compelled to share my experience modding the Rubies.

Here's the short version of the upgrades made: head interior, dreads, eyeholes, bio and quills

First I cut the strap from the bio, added an LED array (for the lazer targeting), gave it a repaint and added "earth magnets"
to the interior(above the browline).

Then I attached another grouping of "earth magnets" to the interior of the latex mask (so the bio would stick, yet easily removed)
After that I took the old head armature I had and wrapped it in SaranWrap, sprayed it down with a release agent and hung it upside down.
Then I temporarily plugged all holes in the mask and situated it proper on the upturned armature. Now I mixed up some Flexfoam
(I think it was the "30") and poured it between the head and armature. Once all the foam expanded, I removed the armature and
trimmed any excess foam away. Nice comfy fit now! So I then moved on to cutting the "fake eyes" out and attaching backer rod dreads
(that were sprayed with blk Plastidip and painted on dread rings). I then proceeded to touch up the paint a little and added my quills.
I made my quills from plastic palm grass from the local craft store. I painted the tips black, trimmed to desired length and attached with
SuperGlue. The plastic palm grass quills are rugged enough to handle the bending of bio attachment and removal without breakage.

It's great to see the various methods of jazzing one up, cuz where's the will, there's a way! Be well blooded brethren....

I used magnets on mine too. The Flexfoam is a great idea. Getting the mask to fit without flopping around is a big problem.

I also found the bio to be too thin--it warps very easily, particularly when the weather is hot. So I lined the inside of it with fiberglass to stiffen it and strengthen it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back