Cattoys Captain America Aluminum Shield

kalkamel

Master Member
I've been wanting an aluminum spun Cap shield for years. When TFA came out, I bought a Disguise shield, tried to improve on it, but after that gave up because I just didn't like how flimsy it was. I then got one of the pre-painted (comic style) Cattoys ABS plastic shield and thanks to tutorials by Fly4v and greymatter, I was able to make it look (almost) movie accurate. But I still wanted an aluminum shield.

I was weighing the option of buying a blank shield and brackets set, but plus shipping to my neck of the woods, that would set me back almost $600. And I still needed Duplicolor Metalcast paints which are not available locally.

So I bit the bullet and got myself the Cattoys Aluminum shield. Prior to purchasing, I couldn't find any reviews of it here. There were a couple of videos on Youtube and it did look good. So I scoured through Ebay and Aliexpress and amidst a multitude of China based sellers, I found one that had not only good feedback and pictures, but also put up a more reasonable price compared to the others (some of them quoted almost $200 for shipping by regular parcel post, the guy I got it from quoted DHL shipping for $75).

It arrived within 4 days and the packing box had a good heft. The shield came in a nice wooden crate stamped with the SHIELD logo.

Inside the crate, the shield is nicely padded with foam. A+ for packaging. One Youtube video showed the crate slightly damaged in transit, but luckily mine arrived intact.

The shield itself. And it is BEAUTIFUL.

Here's a close-up to show the spun texture. The star is CNC machined onto the shield, albeit slightly raised. The engraved lines on the star are nice and sharp.

The back of the shield is equally nice. The brackets and leathers are well attached. It should be noted that the brackets are symmetrical, unlike the movie shield.

Close-up of the handles.

Here's a comparison between the aluminum shield and the Cattoys ABS shield. The ABS shield came with comic book red and white stripes. I added the spun textures to the whites, engraved the lines onto the star and painted them chrome. The blue and red were untouched.

Here's a look at the backs. For the ABS shield, I added brackets out of styrene and handles out of cheap pleather belts. I also painted the back chrome.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Cattoys aluminum shield. The only downside to me is that it (as well as the ABS shield) is a bit undersized compared to the movie shield, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is very well made. If you're looking for a nice shield to display straight out of the box and not looking to splurge on an EFX, a King Arts or a Lager Toys shield, then this is the option for you.

Last edited:
Looks great! Undersized? I actually thought this was pretty much 1/1 scale judging by the price point, the way its packed and the details.. I'd love to have it if it weren't so costly though.... But now that you've said its undersized, I'm not too sure anymore... I thought they marketed this as being 1/1 scale...

Size wise its identical to the ABS shield. The*diameter is 22 1/4 inches. The outer actual contour is 23 1/4 inches.

Thanks for a great review. Nice to see the two shields together.
Other than the red being different you now have a hero and a stunt shield.

Thanks, mate. And thanks to your tutorial, I was able to pimp up the ABS shield! :p

For those interested, the ABS shield now comes in three varieties; comic style red, white and blue, movie style darker red, silver and blue, as well as Stealth style blue and white. I had actually ordered the movie style, but received the comic one instead. It had a great paintjob so rather than repaint it accurate movie colors, I just masked off the red and blue, used sandpaper to add spun marks to the whites and sprayed that chrome.

The aluminum shield comes in three options also; pristine, battle damaged and Stealth (with blue rings).

I love my CATTOYS shield, even though I agree on the expensive shipping!!
I would strongly advice you to spray coat your shield with matte clear coat if you are planning in using it for costuming, because the paint doesn't stick too good to the shield. The clear paint helps protect the paint. Otherwise the paintjob can really get scratched up if you just bump your shield into something hard! I did that :/

Anyways, here is my shield in action! :)
LwiuIo.jpg

Thanks for the review.
I've one Cattoys Shield and I'm very happy too.
I think their Battle damaged version seems to be very interesting. Maybe one day... but shipping is always too expensive. For my shield (the same like yours), I've been lucky to buy to a guy who imported it before and made a good price (420€)
Cattoys made Iron Man Helmet and the Thor Mjolnir (since 2 weeks!). I see they made good job but I don't find many reviews or information about this brand.

I love my CATTOYS shield, even though I agree on the expensive shipping!!
I would strongly advice you to spray coat your shield with matte clear coat if you are planning in using it for costuming, because the paint doesn't stick too good to the shield. The clear paint helps protect the paint. Otherwise the paintjob can really get scratched up if you just bump your shield into something hard! I did that :/

Anyways, here is my shield in action! :)
View attachment 479676

Nice PIC.
Can you give a reference for spray coat? The shield don't become less shiny after spray coat?
Thanks

Nice PIC.
Can you give a reference for spray coat? The shield don't become less shiny after spray coat?
Thanks

Any acrylic-based matte clear spray paint will do!
The shine of the shield is not reduced much after spray coat, in fact..its shine matches close ups in the film pretty well IMO after clear coating it!

Hi guys apologies for the lack of photos of a stealth shield but unfortunately it never arrived , I contacted the seller after the delivery date was put back twice but he never replied consequently I contacted EBay who were brilliant & gave me a full refund within minutes!
' after reviewing the sellers recent activity we decided to expedite your refund '
so be aware of eBay seller chinatoy- shop .
cheers

Mike

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back