Casting Windows for my 1/6 TARDIS Model -- Need some advice

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi! I am entering the home stretch on my MkIII altered Brachacki TARDIS (Jamie Bait kit -- aiming for as is appeared in "Spearhead From Space") and the two remaining hurdles I have are the windows and the signage. I'm experimenting with casting up my own windows using sheet acrylic and the pebbled bits from a plastic milk bottle. I've worked up a mold and cast up my first sample but the resin I've used is not great. Puduo brand, I bought on Amazon as it was highly rated and relatively inexpensive and if I liked it I'd get more and if not I'd try something else. Mold is made from oomoo 25 from Smooth-on.

It's nice and clear but won't cure completely. It's still rather flexible kind of like a hard rubber. (As I type this, I'm beginning to think that this really isn't that big a deal as I won't have to worry about it cracking or breaking -- just yellowing over time). The manufacturer insists that the resin should be hard when cured. I thought it might be because I was trying to cast something very thin (about 1/32") but the resin that was left in the mixing cup didn't solidify either -- I could dent it with my fingernail and the dent would work itself out. I was extremely careful to measure everything correctly (pour the resin and hardener into separate containers then pour each into a third to mix). Other people who've reviewed this stuff have had the same issue.

I'm going to rework the pebbled/smooth combination window and remold it as there are some artifacts about it I don't like. You can't see them when the pane is in place but I know they're there, lol -- you know how it is.

Anywho, does anyone have anything they recommend? I've considered Smooth-on Crystal Clear 202 as it is supposed to work at the thickness I need but it is recommended for "industrial use" so I'm not sure I want to bother with it.

Pics below of the windows mocked up: 20220717_175026.jpg20220717_175032.jpg20220717_175036.jpg20220717_175049.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dave C

Many resins cure with an exothermic reaction (they get hot) and this helps the cure - but if you only have a thin section it just doesn't have the volume to hold the heat. If you have some scrap pieces, you could try heating them in an oven for a bit - can't really say how hot or how long, may just be down to experimentation...

Many resins cure with an exothermic reaction (they get hot) and this helps the cure - but if you only have a thin section it just doesn't have the volume to hold the heat. If you have some scrap pieces, you could try heating them in an oven for a bit - can't really say how hot or how long, may just be down to experimentation...
That was why I figured that they weren't curing but I mixed way more than I needed and what was left in the cup really should have hardened if it was a question of having the proper mass to get up to temperature and it didn't. I also left them under a lamp to see if that would help it kick and it didn't (I've had luck with this method before getting epoxy to harden) :-/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back